PDA

View Full Version : How to use Easyboot Glue-Ons? Your tips and tricks, please!

Watch Wee Willy
Jul. 16, 2011, 01:54 PM
It's a long story as to why, but I need to start using the easyboot glue-on boots, as a "permanent" boot/shoe for my horse. He cannot bear the peripheal loading that traditional shoes cause, and he cannot go totally barefoot either. He is however completely sound at all times in his easyboot rx's/epics. However, changing them out everyday, the powder, pantyhose, etc., is getting old. I'd like to try the glue-on's, and I would like to know what people use to glue them on, their tips and tricks, what works and doesn't work for them, how long you have left them on for, how many times have you been able to re-use them, what product do you use in the bottom of the boot to support the sole, etc, etc.

I do not need a debate on metal shoes vs barefoot. Thanks in advance for your help!!

paulaedwina
Jul. 16, 2011, 05:05 PM
No debate, but have you considered the Renegade hoof boot? http://www.renegadehoofboot.com/

I like them more than easy boots because the sandal design of the Renegade should prevent stuff from collecting in the boot.

I only ask because I do like my horse barefoot but want to do some competitive trail with him so his feet need protection. I'm looking at the Renegade so he's shod when he needs to be and not when he doesn't need to be.

Now you have something that you can put on when needed and has a good long use life.

Paula

Watch Wee Willy
Jul. 16, 2011, 09:01 PM
I have the Epics, but I don't want something above the hairline. That's why I want to know more about the glue-Ons.

paulaedwina
Jul. 16, 2011, 09:30 PM
I see. I'd be interested to know how he gets along in them. Unfortunately I have no input on glue ons.

Paula

AlfalfaGirl
Jul. 18, 2011, 12:48 AM
I don't have the glue on boots but I have the Easy Boot Gloves and I love them. Biscuit is barefoot of course, but he is growing out a bad crack (had it before I got him) and I rode him barefoot in Louisiana and he chipped it badly on rocks so I have been using the boots every time I ride until it completely grows out. They are super easy to put on and I haven't had a problem with them rubbing him raw. He does just fine in them.

chicamux
Jul. 18, 2011, 08:17 AM
A while back another person asked this same question on one of the COTH forums. I emailed a friend to ask her opinion of using glue-on boots continuously. She has two barefoot horses and uses the regular gloves for training and glue-ons for competitions.

Her experience is that they only stay on for 7-12 days before the glue gives out. it is easiest to remove the old glue by soaking the boots for a while in a bucket of hot water. However, her opinion was that it was bad for the feet as they got very moist in the boots.

Years ago I had to use an Easy Boot for a couple of months on a horse that had a great deal of hoof wall removed to clear up a bad case of white Line Disease. His foot got very soft and soggy and became a breeding ground for WLD. I wouldn't use a boot like that again.

Another possibility that you might want to consider is this:

Shoes with pour-in pads.

I had a thin walled and thin soled horse that just couldn't compete over rocks without a pad of some kind. My farrier would put the Vettec pour-in pads on her when I had a rocky ride coming up. It's used with a gutter guard mesh that is nailed between the shoe and the foot then the pad injected thru the mesh. This stuff really adhered to the foot super well and almost glued the shoe in place.

My farrier began shoeing for a friend that has an extremely thin walled TB who just can't keep shoes on. Her walls just couldn't hold up to the nails and she lost shoes immediately and her walls fell apart. Still, with the new farrier she asked him to try shoeing this horse. He did and used the pour-in pads. She kept her shoes on the hoof walls were fine. the pour-in pads let the soles take more of the horses weight, the walls had much less stress on them and no longer broke down. The farrier and horse owner were both happy. In fact, he began to use the pour-ins on more horses. The foot stays dry and clean under the pads and seems to be quite healthy.

Just another idea.

chicamuxen

Watch Wee Willy
Jul. 18, 2011, 08:47 AM
Alfalfagirl, I've never had a problem with the gaiters rubbing on rides, but they do if he has to wear them 24/7.

Chicamux, thanks for the info. I was reading on the easyboot website that they have left them on successfully for up to 6 weeks, but I don't know if I could keep his feet completely dry for 24 hours beforehand. But I can no longer put shoes on him that cause any type of peripheral loading (he becomes immobile) and also we also no longer have any farriers in our area of Hooterville that know what the heck they are doing (ask me how I know!).

Robyn
Aug. 17, 2011, 11:45 PM
I don't have the glue on boots but I have the Easy Boot Gloves and I love them. Biscuit is barefoot of course, but he is growing out a bad crack (had it before I got him) and I rode him barefoot in Louisiana and he chipped it badly on rocks so I have been using the boots every time I ride until it completely grows out. They are super easy to put on and I haven't had a problem with them rubbing him raw. He does just fine in them.

Easy to get on? Seriously?? I have them and it's a battle - and my horse stands perfectly. My farrier and I have decided that he needs the new wides which should arrive tomorrow, so my fingers are crossed.