PDA

View Full Version : dropped panels?

Hampton Bay
Jul. 15, 2011, 07:31 PM
OK, what in the world are dropped panels on a saddle? What fitting issue does it help with?

I keep seeing the term, but just can't wrap my head around the whole idea.

arabiansrock
Jul. 15, 2011, 08:09 PM
HB,
In drop panels, the panels tie in lower down in the gullet, so they don't come up as high on the withers. Good for horses with high withers where you dno't want there to be pressure right on the sides of the withers. Don't know how to do a link but if you go to trumbull mtn web site, under dressage saddles, and under black country, they have pictures of hte different types of panels.
arabsrock

Hampton Bay
Jul. 15, 2011, 09:59 PM
So the whole panel is placed lower down on the saddle, making the channel wider at the front?

arabiansrock
Jul. 15, 2011, 11:23 PM
yes exactly

Kitt
Jul. 18, 2011, 10:54 AM
HB,
In drop panels, the panels tie in lower down in the gullet, so they don't come up as high on the withers. Good for horses with high withers where you dno't want there to be pressure right on the sides of the withers. Don't know how to do a link but if you go to trumbull mtn web site, under dressage saddles, and under black country, they have pictures of hte different types of panels.
arabsrock

Arabiansrock, just to clarify: a dropped (aka trapezius) panel has a bulge or bubble in the panel right around the stirrup bar - usually at and slightly in front of it - to accommodate a horse with hollows behind/below the withers (photo at http://www.trumbullmtn.com/store/new-saddles/dressage/black-country/). You're describing Passier's Freedom panels, which are attached about 3/4" lower in the gullet than the standard panels - great for a horse with a wider wither, since it provides more space in the gullet area and a wider channel as well. This configuration isn't as great for a high wither, however - it often makes the saddle sit too low and actually come in contact with the wither.

Hampton Bay
Jul. 18, 2011, 08:35 PM
So THaT'S what freedom panels are! I've always had a relatively high-withered mare who fits in most anything off the rack, but the two little ones are much more difficult. There is so much left to learn about the more "custom" options.

Ibex
Jul. 18, 2011, 11:44 PM
I have the County Version "skid row" panels on my jump saddle... they're the bubble ones like Black Country Trapezoidal panels. My mare goes beautifully in hers, but I know like anything, they're not for all horses... she has a big wither, big shoulders, and a bit of a hollow above them.

arabiansrock
Jul. 19, 2011, 02:44 AM
Kitt - thank you for the clarification, I appreciate it! as hampton bay said "so much to learn" I thought the freedom panels were a type of drop panel just wihtout the bubble.
arabsrock

Kitt
Jul. 19, 2011, 01:07 PM
Ibex, County's skidrow panels that I've seen are actually closer to the "K" panel - deeper throughout the entire front rather than having a "bubble" like the trapezius/dropped panel, but perhaps County has changed the design; it's been a few years since I've seen a newer one.

Arabiansrock, no worries - given the multitude of fitting options and different names for them, depending on the type of saddle or the co. that makes it, it's tough enough for saddlers and fitters to keep up with them!

Ibex
Jul. 19, 2011, 01:19 PM
Well, mine definitely has the "bubble" when viewed from the front ;)

Kitt
Jul. 20, 2011, 10:59 AM
Well, mine definitely has the "bubble" when viewed from the front ;)

From the front? It's usually hard to distinguish panel modifications (other than wither gussets or full front gussets) from the front - you usually have to flip the saddle over and look at the panels from beneath. Could I ask you to post or e-mail some photos? I'd really appreciate seeing the actual configuration.