PDA

View Full Version : VOTE: Finalists Selected for DT New Dressage Attire Contest

Mike Matson
Jul. 15, 2011, 10:34 AM
http://www.equisearch.com/magazines/dressage-today/project-centerline-contest/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=centerline

The top three designs in each category have been chosen! Now Dressage Today needs you to determine the winners by casting your vote for your favorite design! This is your chance to redefine what dressage riders wear in the arena and around the show grounds. Vote now!

suzy
Jul. 15, 2011, 10:47 AM
um, I think you pasted in an incorrect link...

I am hoping for attire that will help us stay cooler in warm weather!

Mike Matson
Jul. 15, 2011, 10:59 AM
lol! Link corrected.

Velvet
Jul. 15, 2011, 11:15 AM
The helmets were either uninspired or downright hideous. A MILITARY style helmet that you KNOW is going to look uber large when on? Seriously? And who wants to wear their number on their helmet? You'll only need another for the horse to wear around the show grounds.

I found the show attire awful. A onesy? Seriously? In the heat? One that has a long enough crotch, leg and waist for tall people or is short enough for the really short? And it looked more like a cat suit gone wrong. Then there's the all in one riding coat--which I really didn't get. Then you still need a shirt for days when jackets are waived. Riding BLOOMERS? Isn't that just gaucho pants on a horse? The show vest was not so pretty. I'd rather a traditional vest. Even canary yellow. :lol:

The riding top anyone can get at a regular store right now, as it's a current fashion. Just buy one at a department store and wear it to the barn. No need to spend all those extra bucks on the label coming from a tack store.

Couldn't even make myself vote on some because they were all bad and none stood out as being even slightly better. :no:

suzy
Jul. 15, 2011, 11:26 AM
Eek. I went to the site, and it seriously crashed my system, so beware.

Sorry to say that I'm with Velvet on this one. Lackluster designs and doesn't seem to address the issue that so many of us have with too-hot-clothing in warm climates or for summer shows. Total lack of innovation. They really need to solicit help from people who truly understand design, fabrics, construction of clothing, etc.

thatsnotme
Jul. 15, 2011, 11:32 AM
Nope-don't like any of it

swgarasu
Jul. 15, 2011, 11:39 AM
Not a fan of any of the designs.

SGray
Jul. 15, 2011, 12:25 PM
definately buying the union-suit with full leather seat -- have some questions on the placement of the buttons for the butt-flap though :winkgrin:

Xpression
Jul. 15, 2011, 12:38 PM
......Patent leather raincoat?

Velvet
Jul. 15, 2011, 12:48 PM
......Patent leather raincoat?

And during a hot summer rain shower, no less. ;)

monstrpony
Jul. 15, 2011, 12:59 PM
Change for the sake of change, or worse yet, fashion? NOT.

Change for the sake of practicality, YES.

Try again.

:dead:

Fairview Horse Center
Jul. 15, 2011, 01:23 PM
This stuff is a joke, right?!?!

LisaW-B
Jul. 15, 2011, 02:55 PM
Every single one of those is hideous, just like runway high-fashion, LOL! So that's really supposed to be a serious contest?!

SGray
Jul. 15, 2011, 02:58 PM
imagine what the non-finalist designs were

SGray
Jul. 15, 2011, 02:58 PM
of course, it could be that other designs were more of a departure and design judges could not bear to move away from convention

Rhiannonjk
Jul. 15, 2011, 03:05 PM
The riding top anyone can get at a regular store right now, as it's a current fashion. Just buy one at a department store and wear it to the barn. No need to spend all those extra bucks on the label coming from a tack store.

As that designer, I'm a little biased, but my thought is that I wanted the shirt that you can buy for fashion in technical fabric and with a neckline that would accomodate a sports bra. My original sketch was actually a little different - a bit more interesting than what you could pick up at Old Navy in plain cotton, but they all went through a "professional" sketching process.

I actually had some notes on my original sketch that picked on at my own idea. And I did not pick that shade of green...

Oh, and the part about the shirt going with a sports bra - I designed that shirt to be worn with a bra - not going on a woman with no breasts riding bra-less.

(ps, I seriously can't find that shirt in a fashion version inexpensive, even though I feel like it should be everywhere. If somebody sees it on sale online, cuold you PM me a link? I need some like that for work...)

(pps, if you really don't care, go vote for me anyhow, because I'm awesome, and think it would be fabulous to tell people, while I'm standing in disgustingly stained sweaty riding clothes that I am actually an award winning fashion designer)

Rhiannonjk
Jul. 15, 2011, 03:07 PM
of course, it could be that other designs were more of a departure and design judges could not bear to move away from convention

I kind of wanted to submit a design for breeches with a high waistline that sort of acted like a corset, but decided not to because it was so off-the-wall. Once I saw the other finalists, I realized that it probably had a chance...

suzy
Jul. 15, 2011, 03:27 PM
(pps, if you really don't care, go vote for me anyhow, because I'm awesome, and think it would be fabulous to tell people, while I'm standing in disgustingly stained sweaty riding clothes that I am actually an award winning fashion designer)

For this alone, you have my vote. :lol:

But I actually like your shirt. I would like breeches that are smooth with a wide waistband to wear the shirt over. I think it would make a nice, neat look while helping to hide our little Buddha bellies.

Rhiannonjk
Jul. 15, 2011, 03:45 PM
Aw! Thank you!

The whole intent of the shirt was to hide buddha bellies, without being too frumpy.

Velvet
Jul. 15, 2011, 03:56 PM
There's a discount designer store that's local to my area only, and doesn't have internet sales, that has shirts like that. I bought a couple for work because the ARE flattering. I spent $20 on each of them. I just hate that the horsey world is now selling things like Joules that is so outrageously priced. They seem to think that just because we ride, we're all made of money.

mzm farm
Jul. 15, 2011, 04:19 PM
I think they were working off the wrong model.
Take the model, keep all the "parts" and squash and remodel until they resemble a human, more like the ave. dressage rider, IE the ultimate "customer". Then consider practicality and figure of the "customer" - NOW give me a stylish and flattering practical design, PLEASE!

I actually think something like khaki/light brown/dark tan would look better on most riders, would flatter and go with more horses and be far more practical. Something on the order of olive in various shades would peek my curiosity. Those would be the colors for breeches, and maybe shirts - a lighter tie, a slightly darker light fabric coat, custom tailored to my figure, and I am ready to go!

Seriously, what dressage rider came up with a ONESY?@! Monkey butt to Nth degree in the heat and what do you do with all that in a portopotty at the show?!

Rhiannonjk
Jul. 15, 2011, 04:20 PM
I'm not one to buy anything at full price, but I have learned that the $30 (retail price) technical T-shirts that I get at REI are WORTH the difference in price from the $5 T's that I can get from Target when it comes to the technical fabric and long-term wear. Of course, I get the REI technical T's when they are on sale for $20 or less...
I wouldn't buy a Joules shirt just for fashion purposes, but well-made clothes that incorporate the right fabrics and fit usually do cost more, and in the long run I believe they are worth it.

(But I totally prefer to buy them at places like Smartpak and REI with great return policies in case they turn out to not be worth the price.)

Coreene
Jul. 15, 2011, 04:22 PM
It drove traffic to the website and bumped up their page view numbers. The more page views you get, the more ads you can sell.

SGray
Jul. 15, 2011, 04:24 PM
I'm with mzm

when I was housesitting (years ago) the folks asked what color souvenior sweatshirt they should bring back for me --- 'dirt brown' -- and that's what they brought -- I never had to worry when wearing it at the barn

Velvet
Jul. 15, 2011, 04:33 PM
Was that a "dirt shirt?" Meaning one that is dyed using the local soil? They do that in Georgia. I also had a friend send me one for Texas--but it was too large, darn it all.

They wash out a bit over time, but they really are the color of the local/regional dirt!

SGray
Jul. 15, 2011, 04:53 PM
no, was from Vail - they went skiing

but you bring up a point -- there's lots of color variation to choose from Georgia clay, Arizona sand, east Texas caliche,..........

kb
Jul. 16, 2011, 07:10 PM
no, was from Vail - they went skiing

but you bring up a point -- there's lots of color variation to choose from Georgia clay, Arizona sand, east Texas caliche,..........

Those colors sound like a line of nail polish. :lol:

staceyk
Jul. 17, 2011, 06:57 AM
I really like the hard hat with bluetooth capability. I like the CONCEPT of the waistcoat, but the example in this contest is kind of medieval looking, I'd feel like Joan of Arc wearing it. Not the look I'd be wanting to sport in the show ring. The other fashions are pretty nice but they aren't the transformative garments that I think the contest was aiming for. I think, though, it's a good start and if they do another contest I'd enter something. I'd been thinking I didn't have the background for this kind of thing, but I can't do worse than that military hat :-)

To whoever designed it--no offense, it's certainly outside the box but in a sport that already has whips and spurs it goes a bit too far for my taste.

I like the patent leather raincoat, but it has to be breathable. If the designer can pull that off, it's not a bad idea...

fish
Jul. 17, 2011, 09:52 AM
Also found little to like and was really disappointed by suggestions that actually promise less rather than more comfort, practicality... than what's already driving me nuts!! Please-- AWAY with the high necks, long sleeves, tails.... Give me clothes I can breathe in, and, yes, manage quickly in a portajohn! Dirt colored? Absolutely!! Give us some clothes that help us look and function like sweating athletes interacting likewise sweating athletes!

Versatility ideas I like-- e.g., waterproof, removable hoods, removable linings, shells, etc., but I would like to see better ones than these-- not to mention acceptance in the show ring!

Gosh, I do hate the conventional attire!

ThreeFigs
Jul. 17, 2011, 10:20 AM
Hmmm. A Bluetooth-capable helmet? I can see it now; trainer coaching from the sidelines via a cellphone throughout the test...

Haven't seen the designs -- everyone else's reviews are enough.

Fairview Horse Center
Jul. 17, 2011, 11:12 AM
Hmmm. A Bluetooth-capable helmet? I can see it now; trainer coaching from the sidelines via a cellphone throughout the test...

I bet that is where we will be in 10 years anyway. It will be hard, if not impossible to stop that with more and more modern technology.

I can hear the "discussions" now: "well, most athletes in opther sports are coached during a game, match, etc"

enjoytheride
Jul. 17, 2011, 12:55 PM
Patent leather shadbelly? Seriously?

I also love the onesie. Because getting out of sweaty breeches isn't hard enough. It also increases the chances of camel toe.

Kelanbec
Jul. 17, 2011, 01:26 PM
A bodysuit?? Really :eek:?? I thought white breeces were bad!What if you have to go the bathroom? Don't forget men ride dressage too. So would the catsuit come with a codpiece? It is multifunctional I guess- if I had to cut my test short to go fight crime.:lol: I don't think the show vest is a bad idea. Maybe with a better cut on the bottom? It all looks a little medieval to me. Isn't dressage military at its roots? Shouldn't it maintain a clean cut, disciplined and uniform look?

fish
Jul. 18, 2011, 08:11 AM
Came to me in my dreams last night that I loved the line of riding clothes Kyra Kyrklund designed. Classy, beautiful, functional, durable-- and, as one might expect from a Scandinavian, included winter coats for every level of winter "cold"-- including one I had to give my daughter in Vermont because is was too warm for the coldest of Carolina days! Yes, these were expensive-- when you could find them retail. I bought mine for a song on ebay, then truly regretted that there was no way I could afford to look at clothes priced as high as they had to be on the retail market, so few shops carried them-- even though the quality, attention to detail, everything about them, made them worth every cent :( Maybe more people would have been willing to shell out the $ if they had been approved to show in instead of "merely" superb informal riding/training wear?

Features (aside from the beauty) I most love: tough little plastic-lined pouches especially for sugar cubes inside various pockets, seams (especially at the neck) that do NOT LEAK even in the worst downpour, firmly sewn linings, tough fabrics and overall designs, so the clothes rarely, if ever, get caught and/torn on the various hazards on every farm. And, yes--- palette with lots of lovely dark colors unlikely to show dirt, open collars on the shirts...

Finally, with all this emphasis on the "fashion" aspect, I do find it ironic that (IMO at least) these superbly functional clothes designed by Kyra are infinitely more flattering than our supposedly ever so elegant traditional white-glove attire!!! Am I the only one who's been truly amazed to discover how gorgeous Anky, Isabelle, not to mention Zara Phillips, etc., are once you get them OUT of their formal dressage show wear-- and into clothes that look much more like the clothes Kyra designs-- and wears-- so well.

Rant over... almost. Mainly did want to put in a pitch for Kyra's work-- I mean, it's not like we'd be starting from scratch-- more like new technology which brings us to a new level/changing direction in anything, tends to be more expensive when it first comes out.

On a slightly different note:

Indeed, the sketches used in this contest are ridiculous--- like cartoons advertising some follies show-- especially the wasp-waisted things tip-toeing around in top hats. WTF!!!???? How 'bout some really off the wall illustrations of these designs-- like maybe ones that show how they look on someone sitting on a horse??

I am glad the contest attracted such attention. Sure hope there will be more discussion-- and maybe even move toward real change. Clearly there's interest!

Mike Matson
Jul. 18, 2011, 09:31 AM
It appears the contest originators and the designers have decided men don't need to participate in dressage competitions.

Rhiannonjk
Jul. 18, 2011, 09:39 AM
Hey Mike - if the men don't enter, they can't do anything about that, can they? I also though tht military helmet might have been an idea by or for men.

Velvet
Jul. 18, 2011, 09:59 AM
It appears the contest originators and the designers have decided men don't need to participate in dressage competitions.

Didn't you know? In this country, REAL men event or do reining. ;) That's why our top male riders are usually imports from Europe. :lol:

fish
Jul. 18, 2011, 10:00 AM

Hmmm-- the irony here is that the present traditional dressage show attire is traditionally MALE-- and is far more flattering to men (esp. the Spaniard and South American ones!!) than women. For a long time, women weren't even allowed to compete in equestrian sports, and since being allowed, we've had to do it in the established, traditional, essentially MALE attire. Perhaps THAT'S a large part of where this contest comes from??

Meantime, another irony is that breeches (once an integral part of super-manly military uniforms) are now considered "sissy"-- because of their association with (now) female-dominated "English" equestrian sports, while Western sports, with all their silver, bangles, fringes.... are, er.. "masculine"? Culture in relation to gender is a strange thing.

Oh well-- fashion. Why can't riding be like other sports in which attire is primarily designed to facilitate athletic goals instead of adding elements of torture (esp. in hot weather) ?

fish
Jul. 18, 2011, 10:05 AM
Didn't you know? In this country, REAL men event or do reining. ;) That's why our top male riders are usually imports from Europe. :lol:

They don't event either-- or at least not much at the lower levels-- a fact I remember Denny Emerson attributing in part to the perception of English riding attire as "sissy."

Personally, I think a lot of men in this country get out of riding (in Western, too), because they have so many other sports open to them in which they don't run such huge risks of getting beat by girls.

Other side of the coin: riding offers women one of very few opportunities in which to compete against men as full equals.

Velvet
Jul. 18, 2011, 10:35 AM
Personally, I think a lot of men in this country get out of riding (in Western, too), because they have so many other sports open to them in which they don't run such huge risks of getting beat by girls.

Probably true! :lol: Most I know are pretty darn insecure. But there obviously are some who see the "sport" in it and get it. :yes:

mbm
Jul. 19, 2011, 11:26 PM
omg! hilarious that a one piece latex body suit is in the finals! (and to those that said i was crazy... i told you so lol!)

eta: pssst... look who the artist is double and triple lol!!!!!

Luvthespots
Jul. 22, 2011, 05:52 PM
I really liked the helmet that had the bluetooth, ipod, sunglasses, air conditioner, drink cooler, sweat wiper, lipstick refresher, whip holder and water mister that changes colors to match your outfit.

That catsuit is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. I used to wear them to go clubbing and they were a pain to wear then. Imagine dealing with that at a show. Jiminy.

I would so wear a patent leather coat. I especially love the idea with red breeches. hmmmmm

jenm
Jul. 22, 2011, 09:18 PM
Gaaahhhh! :eek:

Pass on everything. I'll stay with traditional style for now, thank you.

Perhaps they should do a Project Runway just for equestrian related fashion. ;):winkgrin:

ThreeFigs
Jul. 24, 2011, 02:07 PM
Thinking Project Runaway is the best response to these ideas.

Equibrit
Jul. 24, 2011, 02:25 PM
Impossible to find anything to vote for - so didn't.
People who dream up 1 piece suits obviously don't pee !

The reason we still have the traditional clothing is because it has stood the test of time.

WILLOW&CAL
Jul. 24, 2011, 02:52 PM
My feeling on this competition was that you really cannot re-invent the wheel and have to rely on practicality so all of the designs missed the mark. For me the innovation would come in the tailoring, technical materials and little hidden details. I always thought that things should be adjustable-i.e panels in jackets that can be tightened or loosened on hot days or if you put on a few pounds. Interesting, floral/pattern/stripe lining. Playing with texture, like a black-on-black pinstripe coat with alternating pinstripe of jacquard and velvet, or black on black houndstooth. You can do a lot with shapes of stock ties and shirt collars and perhaps breeches that have elasticated panels to make our behinds smaller or fuller :) I quite like that corset idea but imagine it being of light, reinforced cotton with boning like a breathable back-brace. It gives you a nice profile under a jacket and it helps you to sit up. Not sure, maybe its all a stupid idea...I'm not a fashion designer.