PDA

View Full Version : Where can I try on Ariat boots?

hrsmstr
Jul. 14, 2011, 12:09 PM
I would like to buy some Ariat boots. The problems, though, are several.

By the way, I am posting here, because I have no idea where to pose this sort of question, and it's not an ad.

Most of the tack shops in my area have only a few sizes and styles, and generally, only for women.

I have very odd feet. Due to an obscure disease called hemihyperplasia, I have one foot that is a size 7 1/2 D. My other foot is (depending on the maker of the footwear) a size 8 1/2 EEEEE. Yes, you read that right. Ariat doesn't MAKE a women's boot that wide. I don't think they make men's boots that wide, and I cannot just order them from a catalog and hope they fit. I have to try them on.
In fact, for most of my life, I've worn men's boots and shoes because they don't make ginormously wide footwear for women. I am currently riding in work boots, because that's all I can find that will fit me and still provide protection to my feet. It's okay, I guess, but it sure looks dorky.
Needless to say, I have never owned or worn a pair of true riding boots in my life.

Where, in the SEattle area, is there a tack shop that carries a large variety of boots?

Just call me Clydesdale Foot....:-(

Velvet
Jul. 14, 2011, 12:17 PM
Why not just spend the money on custom boots? Seriously. I mean, Ariat's are all made in China and they don't last like a pair of custom Dehner or Vogel boots will. You can also more easily have either of those brands repaired. It would probably be well worth the money. Don't bother with French Calf skin or anything like that. Go for durable and good looking--and fitting. It's really worth it in the long run.

hrsmstr
Jul. 14, 2011, 04:37 PM
I would LOVE a pair of Dehners.

In the case of riding boots, though, I have another problem...I have a "rancher's dream"...Fat Calves..;-)
You are probably right. I already have to buy two pairs of shoes/boots just to fit both my feet, and considering it costs a bucketload of money, I should just go out and find a bootmaker and spend the money on one pair.

I did that a few years ago. White Boots is a long time bootmaker here in WA State. I don't know if they are still in business or not. Anyway, I had my feet measured and fitted by one of their "trained" reps. One of the boots...amazingly, the big one......fit like a glove. It was the NORMAL foot they effed up. I sent it back twice and the third time it came back to me, it looked like something a kid had made with a summer camp Tandy Leather kit, and a note that said, don't bother us anymore.
So I didn't, and I won't, and I'll tell anyone who asks what my opinion of the service.......or lack thereof..one gets from White Boots.

GROAN. I've been saddle searching, and now I need to add a bootmaker to my search list...........

Thanks for your advice!

carolprudm
Jul. 14, 2011, 04:47 PM
I have to say my Der Daus are gorgeous.

Our local saddle shop had a 20% off sale on everything so I ordered the boots from them and had them measure me. I think I got 3 pairs that didn't fit but DerDau had a booth at a local expo and a factory rep measured me there.

The boots arrived a few days after I got out of the hospital after I broke my ankle. But they are perfect

hrsmstr
Jul. 14, 2011, 05:00 PM
How did they fit after you broke your ankle? (sorry..broken hocks(that's what our ankle is) are no fun. Did you need to have the boot refitted or stretched?