PDA

View Full Version : Any guesses on age of this FEI horse?

Dutch Lovin' Dressage Rider
Jul. 14, 2011, 12:08 PM
Some might know us. Sorry if this is a bit of a brag! I know not very humble of me. Just so happy how things are going. Cant contain myself.

We have been a couple for 10 years now. Have not done much or competed for about 3 years due to some of my life changes. Thought I was going to have to sell him but now I do not have to. This the horse that had a farrier chop his hind heals off this spring. Hes also missing some teeth because vet damaged, so we have bitting issues.

We will be competing at Dressage at Devonwood next week.

Any guesses on his age?

hrsmstr
Jul. 14, 2011, 12:19 PM
I'm going to guess he's 27 years old. What's his name? if he's a DWB, his name should give one a clue.

Dutch Lovin' Dressage Rider
Jul. 14, 2011, 12:21 PM
27. Geez. Does he look that old? :-( Kidding. Cant say name. Then youd know. :-)

Keep guessing

friesian4me
Jul. 14, 2011, 12:44 PM
He looks in fabulous shape. You should ask, how old does he look? He looks about 8-15yo. I am assuming he is over 20 . Lovely pair!

Sunsets
Jul. 14, 2011, 12:53 PM
Oh, he's lovely.

I'm going to guess 19? And he looks a lot like a schoolmaster I know. I'll be interested to see his breeding!

dwblover
Jul. 14, 2011, 12:53 PM
Whatever his age, he looks magnificent!!!:D

netg
Jul. 14, 2011, 01:15 PM
I would guess over 20 for him, but not in a bad way. Just because of type, as well as how his muscle forms. There are changes in how horses I've known develop muscle around 19/20 that I can't even put into words - but he has the kind of condition which makes me think 20s rather than late teens. And if 20s - good for you that he's going well and happy and healthy! He actually reminds me of a 24 year old horse I know, but that alone isn't enough for me to pinpoint an age - I really can't guess beyond thinking over the 19/20 threshold.

Valentina_32926
Jul. 14, 2011, 02:08 PM
Over 20 cause he looks older than my 20 yo mare.

Dressage_Julie
Jul. 14, 2011, 02:53 PM
I would guess 25- He reminds me of the old style dutch horses, that I loved so much! And if he is 25, he looks amazing! Great job!

ToN Farm
Jul. 14, 2011, 03:27 PM
I'm interested in knowing how you guys go about assessing this horse's age, because there is nothing I see that makes me think he is real old. The fact that he is obviously trained to a higher level indicates he's no baby, but I don't see how one can tell if he is 10 or 25. What specifically are you seeing?

AlterBy
Jul. 14, 2011, 03:46 PM
What specifically are you seeing?

The video!!! :lol::lol:

Nice Dutch!

Beentheredonethat
Jul. 14, 2011, 03:50 PM
ToN--I think people are just guessing, and you are right. A good, well-conditioned, trained horse is not going to show age. I showed mine I-1 until 28, and didn't stop because of age. The Lippizzaners routinely do FEI and airs above the ground until their late 20's and 30's, and I don't think by looking you could tell the difference between a 12 year old and a 32 year old in good shape.

I hope he's mid 20's at least. It would be nice to see more correctly trained and conditioned horses that last as long as they should.

Jane Honda
Jul. 14, 2011, 03:52 PM
My neck of the woods! Maybe I will drop in and watch.

smokygirl
Jul. 14, 2011, 03:54 PM
I'd guess 19-23. He isnt young, and he looks beyond the teen years.. but he's not a SR citizen. If he were human, his kids would be out of college, but he wouldnt be drawing social security yet :D

Why I'm guessing this..

1. His eyes.

2. While he looks in fabulous shape.. i mean.. age still shows. Sean Connery is in fabulous shape, but he still doesnt look the same age as Brad Pitt, who doesn't look the same age as Ashton Kuchner who doesnt look the same age as Justin Beiber.. Just looks different.

3. Bc i'm terrible at guessing ages on most (non-arab) horses, i will admit i'm probably way off :)

ToN Farm
Jul. 14, 2011, 03:59 PM
I'd guess 19-23. He isnt young, and he looks beyond the teen years.. but he's not a SR citizen. If he were human, his kids would be out of college, but he wouldnt be drawing social security yet :D

Why I'm guessing this..

1. His eyes.

2. While he looks in fabulous shape.. i mean.. age still shows. His eyes? I can barely see his eyes on these dark photos. I am truly trying to learn how to see what you are seeing, and I do not.

Alter, what video?

smokygirl
Jul. 14, 2011, 04:04 PM
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=33346&d=1310659592

This one is the one that that jumped out at me.. it's hard to see the eyes, but just the way they are in the head, around the temple, and though it's dark.. they seem quiet. Like he's done this before.

as i said, i'm terrible at guessing ages on most breeds though, so i'm probably WAY off.

ToN Farm
Jul. 14, 2011, 04:21 PM
Well, I checked him out and he is 19 (1992 birth year). I still don't think he looks like the geezer you all do, and he certainly doesn't perform like one either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1yHoXiWzLs&feature=player_embedded

netg
Jul. 14, 2011, 05:16 PM
So when are the photos from?

One of the areas I think I noticed in the photos more than in the video (and if they're same timeframe, obviously I didn't!) was flesh on the outside of the points of the shoulders and hip bones. Where a thinner type horse is more likely to lose topline musculature, the heavier types tend to put on weight in that type of area. So I'm curious if the photos are from this year w/ the video from last year, or if it's all in my head. Which is a very distinct possibility. :lol:

In reality, all horses being such unique individuals, it's awfully hard to try to guess just by looking at a horse.

wehrlegirl
Jul. 14, 2011, 08:05 PM
Just wanted to say you guys make a nice pair..lucky you.

MyssMyst
Jul. 14, 2011, 09:32 PM
Well, I checked him out and he is 19 (1992 birth year). I still don't think he looks like the geezer you all do, and he certainly doesn't perform like one either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1yHoXiWzLs&feature=player_embedded

He's gorgeous!

Gestalt
Jul. 14, 2011, 10:00 PM
Very lovely boy! I'd have guessed him between 12-14 and you between 25-30. :)

indyblue
Jul. 14, 2011, 11:31 PM
27yrs? Im struggling to see where you got that number from. My guess was 15yrs but I see he is 19yrs.He looks fabulous. 19yrs is the new 15yrs anyway with all the great products and knowledge available to us now :)

SisterToSoreFoot
Jul. 14, 2011, 11:38 PM
He looks great. There were too many clues as to his age in your question, DLDR! I think if the pics were there with no other info, the guesses would be in the 12-15 range.

Big_Grey_hunter
Jul. 14, 2011, 11:42 PM
I guessed 12-15 until I read your post, the I guessed 25 :lol: he looks amazing for 19!

Donella
Jul. 14, 2011, 11:56 PM
The only reason anyone is guessing over twenty is because of the question posed in the OP. No offense, but some of the responses are just wacko. There is NO horse on the face of this planet that looks like that at 27? 27? Really?:rolleyes:

He looks middle aged to me...early to mid teens and in great shape. Lovely horse and rider.

Beentheredonethat
Jul. 15, 2011, 01:04 AM
Yes, Donella, there are. I can't pull up pictures of Lippizzaners, but you certainly wouldn't guess they were in their late 20's. I competed my 28 year old, and people were stunned. They thought he was in his teens. I could show you a picture of him in his teens versus 20's and I don't think you would see much difference. I find it kind of wacko that people think horses can't do very well into their 20's.

cu.at.x
Jul. 15, 2011, 02:51 AM
Wow. He's gorgeous. Not only for his age, for ANY age, period. How tall is he? He looks HUGE.

DutchDressageQueen
Jul. 15, 2011, 07:38 AM
I find it kind of wacko that people think horses can't do very well into their 20's.

This is so true! I used to have a welsh pony who I competed until his late teens/early 20's then he was sold to another girl who had just started riding (the welsh pony had won the Dutch Champion in third level pony's with the rider who rode him before I got him) then when I sold him, he went on to compete and win in regional championships at his old age! ( + - 24)

Wayside
Jul. 15, 2011, 11:08 AM
Yes, Donella, there are. I can't pull up pictures of Lippizzaners, but you certainly wouldn't guess they were in their late 20's. I competed my 28 year old, and people were stunned. They thought he was in his teens. I could show you a picture of him in his teens versus 20's and I don't think you would see much difference. I find it kind of wacko that people think horses can't do very well into their 20's.

:yes:

He's since passed on, and he didn't really have much dressage training, but this is my old Arab at the age of 25: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2449733450100789832jAWqpg

And one year earlier at 24: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2383680270100789832WmStuM

This mare spent most of her life as a broodmare, so no under saddle pictures, but she was 27 in this picture: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2791575000100789832GtsEXh

Though I don't have any pictures, my old TB show hunter competed until his late 20's as well, and was quite successful, though he definitely looked like an old horse.

My current mare is 16, and still has great flexions, so I'm sure hoping to get another 10 years out of her. Of course, I'll stop if I feel she needs to, but I'm not seeing any signs of that now.

And to the OP, your horse looks fabulous. Not even fabulous for his age, just fabulous. I hope you have many more years of joy together.

Xpression
Jul. 15, 2011, 12:42 PM
He looks phenomenal! I'd say between 10-16.

Donella
Jul. 15, 2011, 02:02 PM
I find it kind of wacko that people think horses can't do very well into their 20's.

Of course they can do well. I won regionals on my 25 yr old horse, he looked great but you could still tell he wasn't in his early teens. Same with the other examples (including Lippizans). The OP's horse doesn't look in his 20's. Period.

smokygirl
Jul. 15, 2011, 02:08 PM
:yes:

He's since passed on, and he didn't really have much dressage training, but this is my old Arab at the age of 25: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2449733450100789832jAWqpg

And one year earlier at 24: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2383680270100789832WmStuM

This mare spent most of her life as a broodmare, so no under saddle pictures, but she was 27 in this picture: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2791575000100789832GtsEXh

Though I don't have any pictures, my old TB show hunter competed until his late 20's as well, and was quite successful, though he definitely looked like an old horse.

My current mare is 16, and still has great flexions, so I'm sure hoping to get another 10 years out of her. Of course, I'll stop if I feel she needs to, but I'm not seeing any signs of that now.

And to the OP, your horse looks fabulous. Not even fabulous for his age, just fabulous. I hope you have many more years of joy together.

see the arabs i would have guessed right lol. (though i was close on the other guy).

suzy
Jul. 15, 2011, 02:23 PM
I couldn't guess from the photos--too small, and I couldn't find a way to enlarge them. The video is nice and would make me think about 14. He just has a "mature" look about him but in a good way. I'm glad you didn't have to sell him; you make a great pair!

smokygirl
Jul. 15, 2011, 02:27 PM
example... this horse looks his age imo. He's well kept/cared for obviously, but you can tell his age (feel free to guess, but no looking at the comments on the photos then! lol). Actually, it's a half bro and sister (were showing at this show) and both are the same age, so still works lol. there are 11 photos in the set i believe.

http://public.fotki.com/mdelator/sx_la_quinta__sx/gemseaha4.html#media

cuatx55
Jul. 15, 2011, 04:09 PM
Ummmm Hate to break it to you but 19 isn't "old". Many horses, mine included, don't show their age and are in full work and moving up the levels.

Nice horse--- good luck at the show!!!

Carol O
Jul. 15, 2011, 06:37 PM
He reminds me of my 26 yo DWB. How does he go in a snaffle?

Swing
Jul. 15, 2011, 10:13 PM
wow! What a gorgeous and beuatifully trained boy!! for ANY age!.

You should be proud of him...and fair enuff for bragging..I would be too!!:D

I only hope that my young horse is still going that strong at that age.. gives me so much more incentive to keep quality training;)

You are an inspiration...a lovely rider too:yes: