PDA

View Full Version : Drop in blood pressure?

Skeezix
Jul. 14, 2011, 05:02 AM
Our boarder's horse has been showing progressively worse symptoms. When she puts the saddle on his blood pressure drops dramatically and he almost passes out. He has been to the horsepital for diagnostic testing, but so far everything is coming back normal--except for the drop in blood pressure. The vet mentioned she had heard of this happening in race horses.

Anyone else had experience with this?

keepthelegend
Jul. 14, 2011, 11:14 AM
I actually have never even heard of this. Is it the girth constricting an artery when tight??

Xctrygirl
Jul. 14, 2011, 11:28 AM
I heard of this once.... they tested the "stressors" by putting a saddle without fittings on with a loose girth and lunging and stopping and checking the heart rate like every 2-3 mins.

~Em

dan86
Jul. 16, 2011, 01:16 PM
strange...i also have never heard of this

Skeezix
Jul. 18, 2011, 12:52 PM
We hadn't heard of it either, but it is pretty scary to see.

Bacchus
Jul. 18, 2011, 04:48 PM
I've heard of something similar with TBs, not necessarily racehorses. It usually had something to do with the girth. I've seen a TB pass out at a show, but the owners said it was some form of narcolepsy. Actually, I've known a couple of TBs with the passing out / narcolepsy problem, but at least one of them does it even when not tacked up.

Calamber
Jul. 26, 2011, 08:21 AM
I've heard of something similar with TBs, not necessarily racehorses. It usually had something to do with the girth. I've seen a TB pass out at a show, but the owners said it was some form of narcolepsy. Actually, I've known a couple of TBs with the passing out / narcolepsy problem, but at least one of them does it even when not tacked up.

Same. I also knew of it with a horse that had EPM, that is the falling part. Don't know if it was a drop in blood pressure however. There is some theory that has been bandied about regarding pressure on a nerve from a girth. Seeing a very educated chiropractor who knows the anatomy inside out is how they diagnosed it. Change in girth fixed this one particular horse after that diagnosis.

Xctrygirl
Jul. 26, 2011, 09:34 AM
It was b/c of an issue much like this, horse started to pass out then full on wigged and errupted, that my old employer sent 15 Professionals Choice girths, in good shape, to the nearest consignment shop.

And though she and I hardly see eye to eye (on anything) I have seen some girth issues exacerbated by those girths.

~Emily