PDA

View Full Version : rubber figure eights

hastyrebeljane
Jul. 13, 2011, 08:20 PM
Last year I bought one of these from a guy sellling them out of his car at Ctown. It was strong rubber with good quality leather top piece. someone stole it! for the second time! I got it back the first time,,I know you can get a cheaper copy at Big Dee's with a nylon top piece but it's not as good. I lost the guy's name and phone no. Anyone know it? or where I can get one? Appreciate.. Also what specifically do you use a mullen racing bit for?

Laurierace
Jul. 13, 2011, 08:23 PM
I bought mine at Philly Park at the horseman's tack shop. It was around $35 I believe. Not sure if you can order over the phone there or not but it can't hurt to ask. No idea as to your second question.

Acertainsmile
Jul. 13, 2011, 10:46 PM
A Mullen bit is a straight bit, so no nutcracker effect on the bars or lips or the roof of the mouth. Usually used for horses with a low palate, and can be good for horses that have thick tongues, or really sensitive mouths where other bits can pinch, etc.

hastyrebeljane
Jul. 13, 2011, 10:48 PM
thanks Laurie..the one I got from Mtneer tack shop was the same price but it is the nylon one. The leather one was $65. but worth it.

hastyrebeljane
Jul. 13, 2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks also..I have a horse whose tongue was cut severely while being broken( piece of wire in the field) and I use a happy mouth thats straight with the little bobbles on it. So I guess I'm on the right track. Was wondering if I could use it on a strong puller who wants to lug in with a ringbit during a race. A houghton is a bit severe for him..love it a puller with a sensitive mouth :)

danceronice
Jul. 13, 2011, 11:46 PM
Lucky has a small mouth and prefers a mullen mouthpiece to a nutcracker broken bit, but it does not allow for a lot of steering refinement (I still gallop him on our half-mile track, and he lugs right. Looking at his racing pictures he wore a ring bit with at least one trainer.) A plain rubber mullen dee doesn't give me a lot of leverage or maneuvering. He LISTENS, but he's lazy and not going at racing speeds in traffic. If we were going in company I'd want something stronger.

Laurierace
Jul. 14, 2011, 12:18 AM
thanks Laurie..the one I got from Mtneer tack shop was the same price but it is the nylon one. The leather one was $65. but worth it.

This is leather. They had leather at Penn for around $50 I think but I didn't buy it. When I saw it for less at Philly I couldn't resist!

Langfuhr
Jul. 14, 2011, 02:38 AM
try him in a kineton

renospyder
Jul. 15, 2011, 01:45 PM
You can get them from Bit Of Britain online.

hastyrebeljane
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the help. I can't however find that bit in the online catologue..? spelling maybe?

Laurierace
Jul. 25, 2011, 09:56 PM
That is a noseband, not a bit.

hastyrebeljane
Jul. 26, 2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks Laurie, I feel like an idiot! LOL.

Laurierace
Jul. 26, 2011, 06:08 PM
No problem, this conversation has switched back and forth quite a bit.

TyB
Jul. 26, 2011, 11:35 PM
Call Bartville Harness (717-529-6992). They carry the rubber figure 8 with leather crown for $29.25. They supply many of the tack shops in the Mid-Atlantic area.

Galadriël Fëfalas
Jul. 27, 2011, 08:31 AM
I've never seen or heard of a rubber figure 8 noseband, but if you search on Facebook for Bespoke Browbands they might be able to make one for you...

A Mullen bit is a straight bit, so no nutcracker effect on the bars or lips or the roof of the mouth. Usually used for horses with a low palate, and can be good for horses that have thick tongues, or really sensitive mouths where other bits can pinch, etc.

(bolding mine)

This is why I use a rubber mullen mouth snaffle on my horse :yes:

Xctrygirl
Jul. 27, 2011, 10:46 AM
Picture on Curlin: http://railrunner.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/curlin-glamour-shot.jpg

Picture without horse(live): http://www.poormansequine.com/store/images/1906-BR.gif

~Emily

hastyrebeljane
Aug. 2, 2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks everybody for your input and info. I've also found out that the tack shop at Delaware Park has the leather ones. I found out the happy mouth I have with the little "bobbles' on it, they do call a mullen mouth. They also have a plain one. The 'bobble' one is a bit stronger I think. I gallop some tough horses in it and they like it. Tried the bobble bit in combo with the rubber noseband the other night for the race, {plus the addition of blinkers) and we almost won it!! Took the lead at the 3\8 pole and got collared the last 1\16 by 2 closers. I was very proud. (my baby)!:)

hastyrebeljane
Aug. 2, 2011, 07:08 PM
Hah! I went to Bit of Britain to look up the kineton noseband and found rhe rubber figure 8. It is called the Nunn Finer rubber figure 8. Complete with picture of Curlin wearing it as supposeably he's the one who made it famous! Black or brown leather top , $65. yeah!!:lol: