PDA

View Full Version : embarrassing/Wow I'm stupid moments at shows

DutchDressageQueen
Jul. 13, 2011, 04:25 PM
Last year at the Summer Sizzler 1 at canterbury show place I did my first PSG test. My ride was not as good because I was afraid to forget the test,(that was my first time riding from memory) and the result was I forgot to ride the horse. anyway, when I went to get my score sheet the lady handed it to me, and told me I got 5th place. She told me I could go over to the table with ribbons and grab a 5th place ribbon. While I walked over there I was thinking to myself "What color is 5th place?!":yes:
So I had to literally read what it said on the ribbons, and finally found the pink 5th place ribbon! as I walked out I was thinking to myself, Wow I'm stupid! I don't even know the color of 5th place! haha lol. :P

do you have any embarrassing moments at shows? Post them below!

Shiaway
Jul. 13, 2011, 04:55 PM
I don't school in a standard ring or a ring with letters. The lower part of the letter B (which had I not turned my brain off before entering the ring I would have remembers was in the middle of the long side) was covered by the chain around the ring. So it looked like R from where I started me "extended walk to R".

Here I am la-ti-da thinking what I nice straight extended walk I'm doing, get closer to "R" and realize it's not "R" at all but "B". Oops. Although I'm not sure who had the stupider moment--me for making the dumb mistake or the judge for not catching it!

Lost_at_C
Jul. 13, 2011, 05:05 PM
I once went off course twice in a row, by riding exactly the same line. Turns out the test was misprinted in a certain popular publication - I was stupid enough to use that version (this was years ago when test publication was quite different), AND stupid enough to ride it TWICE instead of asking for clarification!

DutchDressageQueen
Jul. 13, 2011, 05:07 PM
I once went off course twice in a row, by riding exactly the same line. Turns out the test was misprinted in a certain popular publication - I was stupid enough to use that version (this was years ago when test publication was quite different), AND stupid enough to ride it TWICE instead of asking for clarification!

That happened to me once too. I think I was riding a third level test, and I was not very familiar with the letters yet, and I went the wrong way twice too!

CatPS
Jul. 13, 2011, 05:19 PM
I was riding a rescued saddlebred at a schooling show. We'd been doing a lot of retraining with him, but he was showing lots of potential and learning quickly. Even so, he was still having more trouble picking up one canter lead than the other, and I was really focused on keeping him straight and relaxed and setting him up properly to get that lead in our Training test. Well he gave me a very nice transition with the correct lead, and I was so happy that I kinda forgot to really RIDE my next corner. We had also been teaching him how to jump... and when I didn't ride that corner, he very willingly and happily hopped over the arena fence, ending up awfully pleased with himself and calm as could be on the other side with the M flowerbox tangled up between his hind legs. DOH! :eek:

I learned a valuable lesson that day, and he went on to be an awesome lower-level eventer. He just died from a poorly-handled colic about this time last year... so sad, because you couldn't ask for a better temperament in a horse.

2tempe
Jul. 13, 2011, 05:37 PM
Stupid moment - went into the ring riding a second level test, after wondering why my guy seemed somewhat stiff to the right. Same issue in the test, along with an occasional lifting of the head (not his normal behavior!) Came out of the ring and when my trainer walked up to us from the right side, she said: OH MY GOD, your noseband is run THRU the ring on the snaffle!!!! DUH.

esdressage
Jul. 13, 2011, 05:41 PM

That happened to me too, although it was me making the mistake (not a misprinted test I am sorry to say), at the judge's end of the arena no less so I could actually see her face as I repeated my mistake! :no:

katarine
Jul. 13, 2011, 05:52 PM
I am still very green to dressage. I showed a fair bit in 2010, but always with my treasured trainer in tow. This Spring I did my first show alone (just schooling, but still important to me), my trainer couldn't make it, my DH was hurt and couldn't come, and my 'pal' who did come was in the way more than anything. So I was frazzled. I rode Intro B just fine, but there was a mix up with the order of rides with an equally frazzled gate person so I got sorta tossed into Intro C. Waltzed in, halted, felt great, proceeded down centerline..and went the wrong way. I didn't realize it until halfway through the test, when I thought, well, hmm...I'm on the Wrong Long Side. LOL I just fudged through it and afterward, the judge was a total doll: I am doing the gaited tests from NWHA so she was truly concerned she had the wrong test in front of her! She graciously offered to let me ride it over, I declined- I just wanted OUT of there ;) She said it was so pretty and you never, ever acted like you were lost- Fake it, baby!!

Alexie
Jul. 13, 2011, 05:53 PM
I diligently learned my test off by heart, entered the ring at C and proceeded to ride the test back to front, not once but twice!

:o

the judge had to shout "enter at A" before it sunk in to my poor scared overwrought brain :D

TropicalStorm
Jul. 13, 2011, 05:59 PM
You know when you focus hard on your ride, and even though you have a reader, you dont really hear them?

I was supposed to circle at P...and I started the circle, and remembered feeling so confused that I yelled "Where the frick is P????"
And then got docked -2 for use of voice :no::D

And THEN got a comment of "expressive rider"..., I'm thinking she meant vocally, and not in any way that I would want :cool:

oldernewbie
Jul. 13, 2011, 06:13 PM
Riding Intro last year, one of the first riders of the day. I could do the test from memory, was booking along just fine. Came around A going to the right and RUH OH! The people who set up the ring forgot to put the K marker up! I'm looking frantically for the marker and just decided to wing it where I thought it should be. Turned out they had forgotten F too but I hadn't needed that one. When I came out of the ring and found one of the organizers and told her the letter was missing, she looked at me like I was nuts...and then saw the missing letter markers off to the side. I was proud that I didn't let this fluster me too much. What a pro!

This year, riding TL 2, completely blanked and couldn't remember if the stretchy circle came before or after the walk. Was not so composed this time and just stopped and looked like an idiot. Lost 2 on that one. Note for the future: use a reader if you didn't get much sleep the night before!!

ArabDiva
Jul. 13, 2011, 06:26 PM
"Where the frick is P????"

Hahaha I LOVE that!

I have been riding TL 1, 2, and 3 all year at schooling shows. In T1 and T3, you track Left after enter halt salute, and in T2 you track right.

Well at my first show of the season, guess which way I went in T2? Yup. Left. Even though my trainer was reading for me. Yes, I am dumb. what can I say, it's my first year showing dressage.

OK, no biggie, first time out, jitters, whatever. We all laughed it off.

Month later -- second show of the year -- riding T2 again...guess which way I went? Yup. Left. Trainer threatened to murder me.

I got it right my 3rd show out.

paintlady
Jul. 13, 2011, 06:52 PM
I did back-to-back schooling shows last month showing T1 and T2. It wasn't until the second day that the judge pointed out that I was saluting with my whip still in my hand. Thankfully, my mare was a saint and could care less. We scored 7s on most of our halts.

Emy
Jul. 13, 2011, 08:44 PM
I was riding a hot/sensitive youngster who hadn't seen much. He was already rather googly eyed but still doing his job well until he saw a err... very, very large person walking towards him. He totally freaked out, would not go forward, turn etc. I could hear his heart pounding and he just kept staring directly at this poor person while they walked by snorting super loud, frozen like a deer in the middle of a busy warm up ring. There was no question about "who" he was looking at and scared of, a fellow rider rode by smirking and told me my horse wasn’t politically correct. I was mortified.

DutchDressageQueen
Jul. 13, 2011, 08:46 PM
I was riding a hot/sensitive youngster who hadn't seen much. He was already rather googly eyed but still doing his job well until he saw a err... very, very large person walking towards him. He totally freaked out, would not go forward, turn etc. I could hear his heart pounding and he just kept staring directly at this poor person while they walked by snorting super loud, frozen like a deer in the middle of a busy warm up ring. There was no question about "who" he was looking at and scared of, a fellow rider rode by smirking and told me my horse wasn’t politically correct. I was mortified.

haha! while I was reading this I had to laugh out Really loud! :P:D

dudleyc
Jul. 13, 2011, 08:48 PM
One of my horses very often poops at X. Then none of the following horses want to step in it so their halts will be bad.

hollyhawk
Jul. 13, 2011, 08:55 PM
Went off course, in the free walk, with my test being called (correctly) Haha.

jumpsnake
Jul. 13, 2011, 08:59 PM
One of my horses very often poops at X. Then none of the following horses want to step in it so their halts will be bad.

loflmao!

Of course, I ride a horse who *likes* to rest his knees in poop, so we might have a different sort of problem!

netg
Jul. 13, 2011, 09:14 PM
I did the "oops" on the free walk with my trainer correctly calling my test, too. Corrected my direction mid-walk so I went to the correct letter. And tried to go from free walk to trot, then remembered I wasn't supposed to trot yet. So the first time I got my horse to relax enough to show off his amazing walk at a show... and I blew it for us. Moron!

NJRider
Jul. 13, 2011, 11:34 PM
I had finished a test and was holding my horse, helmet in hand, talking to a friend. I felt something on my head that was really bugging me, thought I had run into a cob web. I kept smacking myself on the head and finally reached up to pull it off.... I had forgotten I had a hairnet on!

quietann
Jul. 14, 2011, 09:18 PM
did not keep a close eye on the mare and she put her head down to graze and pulled out most of her french braid just a few minutes before her tests. husband put a rubber band in what was left and we competed w/ 2/3 of her mane hanging loose, like this (http://annsrats.com/horses/feronia/july23_2009/walk.jpg). oops. (tests went so badly i don't think the judge even noticed...)

Rhiannonjk
Jul. 15, 2011, 09:18 AM
At one of my first recognized shows, my young mare bucked me off in a Training Level test. The rest of the day was spent figuring out what happened, working her some more, and enjoying having a dressage test that ends with "Too bad, better luck next time!" That evening, I dragged myself into the competitor's party, pulled off my cheap straw cowboy hat and sat it on the table...
Only for it to catch on fire from the candle in the centerpiece.
I discreetly put the hat on the floor, stomped out the fire, and have had a good laugh about that day ever since.

OldMorgans
Jul. 15, 2011, 06:08 PM
Oh--I am scaring the customers in my store with my manic laughing.
Keep up the stories! :D

Fourbeats
Jul. 15, 2011, 06:28 PM
At one of my first recognized shows, my young mare bucked me off in a Training Level test. The rest of the day was spent figuring out what happened, working her some more, and enjoying having a dressage test that ends with "Too bad, better luck next time!" That evening, I dragged myself into the competitor's party, pulled off my cheap straw cowboy hat and sat it on the table...
Only for it to catch on fire from the candle in the centerpiece.
I discreetly put the hat on the floor, stomped out the fire, and have had a good laugh about that day ever since.

Awwww, that's just adding insult to injury! I'm sorry, but I did laugh out loud when I got to the hat on fire part. That's when all you can say is " of course!.." and then ask for a large glass of wine. :lol:

EasyStreet
Jul. 16, 2011, 02:17 AM
I was given the responscibility of video taping my grandaughters flat class at the horse show. I made sure my arms were proped so it wouldn't be shakey and I even added commentary throughout like, "Thats good... Oh nice....Heels down...Good job"..I even panned the arena to show the competition as it was a large class. I then set my focus on the line up....When the announcer called my grandaughters name for 1st place...I was thrilled but WHY wasn't she riding out of the lineup to get her blue ribbon???:confused:......Because all along I had been filming the wrong child and pony! :o:o:o

smokygirl
Jul. 16, 2011, 03:05 AM
I was given the responscibility of video taping my grandaughters flat class at the horse show. I made sure my arms were proped so it wouldn't be shakey and I even added commentary throughout like, "Thats good... Oh nice....Heels down...Good job"..I even panned the arena to show the competition as it was a large class. I then set my focus on the line up....When the announcer called my grandaughters name for 1st place...I was thrilled but WHY wasn't she riding out of the lineup to get her blue ribbon???:confused:......Because all along I had been filming the wrong child and pony! :o:o:o

omg.. that's priceless haha

GingerJumper
Jul. 16, 2011, 10:32 AM
When I evented my old guy for a little, we'd been schooling upper level dressage movements since the tests at our level were basic for both of us. We went into the walk section and it started really well, the free walk looked like another 8 or 9. Well, when we went into the medium walk (our worst gait) I got a little enthusiastic and we ended up piaffing. I scrambled to get him back into a medium walk but way too late. We got like a 3 on the movement and something along the lines of "WHAT WAS THAT?!?!" in the comments. Still scored in the 30's if I'm remembering right, so not horrible. Needless to say, we stepped back a little on our UL work and focus a little more on our walk work ;)

Then, at an h/j show (after I realized this horse and I would never enjoy eventing together) I was in one of my last classes of the day, a hack class after the o/f classes. I was showing off his super nice trot by letting him on a very light contact. My wonderful mother, whose mind was still coaching me for jumpers from earlier that weekend, whispered "shorten your reins and package him!!!" as I rode by. In my extreme indignation and rudeness, I blurted "shut UP mom!" We both laughed it off and made up later but boy was that embarrassing to see on the video of our round!

BastiantheWonderDragon
Jul. 17, 2011, 12:17 AM
It was my first time showing with my new barn and I was grooming for my trainer at one of our first recognized shows of the year and she was showing a total of 8 clients' horses in two classes each, so it was non stop all day. Two of the horses were adorable Welsh ponies, (half brothers), I had never met the ponies before the show (she traveled to their barn to train/work with them) and they look extremely similar. So similar that she had already been stopped by the judge (they were in the same classes) to inform her that she could not show the same horse in a class more than once and the in gate steward had pointed out this same thing.

It was the third day of the show and we were all exhausted, I pulled the pony out of stall to get him tacked up, scrubbed the poop stains out of his white coat, polished his hooves, put on his face glow, handed him off to my instructor who went outside to the mounting block. She hadn't taken two strides away when we both realized I had tacked up and given her the wrong pony! I had to speed tack the other pony but she was able to make it in time for her class.

Now its the big joke of making sure I tack up the right horse when we go to horse shows! :lol:

FlightCheck
Jul. 17, 2011, 06:49 AM
I was at a schooling show, filling in a few classes so some local dressage club could have enough horses in a division for "end of the year points".

Since I didn't know until the day of show which tests I would be riding, my then dressage coach offered to read for me. Great! Down center line, turn left, start circle at X....only to pass my coach and hear her hiss "What the F*$^ part of TURN RIGHT don't you understand?"

So I stop, and the judge yells "What are you stopping for?" I yell back "I am going the Wrong Way!"

"Really?" yells the judge, and consults her test. "Oh, carry on, it was going so well I didn't notice."

MyssMyst
Jul. 17, 2011, 01:59 PM
I was at a schooling show, filling in a few classes so some local dressage club could have enough horses in a division for "end of the year points".

Since I didn't know until the day of show which tests I would be riding, my then dressage coach offered to read for me. Great! Down center line, turn left, start circle at X....only to pass my coach and hear her hiss "What the F*$^ part of TURN RIGHT don't you understand?"

So I stop, and the judge yells "What are you stopping for?" I yell back "I am going the Wrong Way!"

"Really?" yells the judge, and consults her test. "Oh, carry on, it was going so well I didn't notice."

Win!

lovey1121
Jul. 17, 2011, 02:30 PM
My 1st time at 4th level, and I bought the 1st and only derby I looked at...ugliest thing ever-think Laurel and Hardy-bulbous top, huuuge brim. But it was cheap and it kinda fit.

Show day--horribly windy. I start my test, feeling the hat rippling on my head like a tent in a storm, but I carry on UNTIL the 1/4 pirouettes, when as I'm setting up for the 1st one, a big gust blows the thing off my head, to bounce up my horse's neck and finally boink off his poll, then it lands RIGHT WHERE I'm to do my little pirouette...bombproof horse tenses and shuts down, then bunny-hops toward offending topper. Whe do a neat little pir. 'round the stupid hat and soldiered on as it scuttled back and forth in the arena like a demented crab for the rest of my test. My judge was a well-known FEI judge, and after I saluted, he jumped to his feet and jogged out to grab and hand me my possessed derby, laughing the whole time. We scored low 50's.:cool:

Never wore that thing again.

lovey1121
Jul. 17, 2011, 02:43 PM
Another stellar memory-my very 1st event on my college team after coming from h/j/eq (read chickenshit schoolie-riding newbie to riding outside, much less galloping o/f cross country), where we traveled 3 hrs. to event. Dressage is first, and I go to get dressed only to realize that I FORGOT MY JACKET. Not a big deal, you'd think?, but my show outfit consisted then of blue velvet hunt cap, blue coat w/blue velvet collar and pockets, lt. blue shirt w/ble velvet homemade ratcatcher, "oyster" (white) britches, and cordovan brown field boots (can we say late 70's?)

I ended up borrowing a BLACK WOOL HUNTING jacket, 4 in. too long and soaked in sweat...

Blue helmet
Black big coat
Blue rat
white britches
blood-red field boots

OH, and my horse was buckskin. I think he was mortified by my attire-he reared up and wheeled at the 1st halt, and things went downhill from there.

DutchDressageQueen
Jul. 17, 2011, 04:50 PM
My 1st time at 4th level, and I bought the 1st and only derby I looked at...ugliest thing ever-think Laurel and Hardy-bulbous top, huuuge brim. But it was cheap and it kinda fit.

Show day--horribly windy. I start my test, feeling the hat rippling on my head like a tent in a storm, but I carry on UNTIL the 1/4 pirouettes, when as I'm setting up for the 1st one, a big gust blows the thing off my head, to bounce up my horse's neck and finally boink off his poll, then it lands RIGHT WHERE I'm to do my little pirouette...bombproof horse tenses and shuts down, then bunny-hops toward offending topper. Whe do a neat little pir. 'round the stupid hat and soldiered on as it scuttled back and forth in the arena like a demented crab for the rest of my test. My judge was a well-known FEI judge, and after I saluted, he jumped to his feet and jogged out to grab and hand me my possessed derby, laughing the whole time. We scored low 50's.:cool:

Never wore that thing again.

happened to me before too. ever since then I put bobby pins in the rim of my top hat. but now I do not have to worry about that anymore because of the new helmet rule

SunsAfire
Jul. 23, 2011, 10:55 AM
My first show ever was an English Equ. class and I won it! Anyway, my name is Emma and the gelding I was on was named O.B Wan Kenobi, okay, like in Star Wars.

So we're at the line up and judge calls, "in first place, Elmo riding OB WAN KANOBEE!" and I just sat there. He didn't call my number so for some reason it didn't click. My mom was waving and cheering in the audience and I was just waving back like a fool! Finally the girl next to me is like, "...I think that's you". It was the best victory lap ever.

MyssMyst
Jul. 23, 2011, 09:18 PM
My first show ever was an English Equ. class and I won it! Anyway, my name is Emma and the gelding I was on was named O.B Wan Kenobi, okay, like in Star Wars.

So we're at the line up and judge calls, "in first place, Elmo riding OB WAN KANOBEE!" and I just sat there. He didn't call my number so for some reason it didn't click. My mom was waving and cheering in the audience and I was just waving back like a fool! Finally the girl next to me is like, "...I think that's you". It was the best victory lap ever.

I've done that too, when an announcer called me by my full name instead of what I went by, lol.

Bugs-n-Frodo
Jul. 23, 2011, 09:55 PM

Ummm, your horse is VERY smart... :yes::lol::lol::lol: Isn't that considered cheating??? Do you get points off if it is your HORSE that is cheating? This is hilarious!

fatwhitepony
Jul. 24, 2011, 06:09 PM
I was riding a young/greenish client stallion at his first ever show. HE was so hot, hot, incredibly hot that I decided to stay on him and just school him for a while in mostly walk, with a little bit of trotting in between our classes which were just an hour or so apart. Got him settled down, last 5 minutes before my 2nd test I stopped to put on my coat....looped reins over my left arm to insert right arm into the coat and....

plop!

He layed down! Now, in 20+ years of riding I have NEVER once had a horse lay down or attempt to roll on me. He wasn't rolling, just taking a quick break. Completely and entirely befuddled, I stepped off the saddle and stood there looking at him. He got up, and suddenly I realized "I carp! I have to grab the reins!!!!!". Made a grab for the reins, he flinched, and bolted!

So off goes this maladjusted (formerly Amish buggy horse) breeding stallion at a full tilt gallop. Fortunately he is not normal and bee lined straight for his stall, LOL!! That is where we found him waiting so we took him back out and I mounted right up and went directly into the ring for test #2. So long for getting him settled and focused :D.