PDA

View Full Version : In-Hand competitions for a Yearling?

ClassyRide
Jul. 13, 2011, 07:44 AM
Hey there! I’m normally a Hunter/Jumper poster, but I have a (I think) Dressage-type situation I need some help with, if you all would be so kind.

I bought a yearling recently who has experience showing in-hand as a weanling. I’d like to continue this trend with her, but she’s built more like a Dressage horse than a Hunter, so I doubt she'd do well with Hunter Conformation Classes (I bought her for Jumpers – I plan to do Dressage with her for the first 2 or 3 years under saddle before moving to Jumpers, though). I know that I’ve seen In-Hand competition at Dressage at Devon (a friend of a friend is a breeder who shows her warmblood babies there), but *I* have no experience showing in-hand. So, I’m hoping for a local-type venue to show her in-hand, just to get some experience under my belt, and to continue her off-the-farm experiences.

I live in South-Central Pennsylvania. Do any of you know of any such place within a couple of hours distance where I could take her? I would even do a clinic as long as it’s all in-hand (obviously). I just don’t want her to get so used to being on the farm that we have issues showing later on down the road. ;)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :yes:

TIA!

ise@ssl
Jul. 13, 2011, 09:14 AM
Hunter in Hand competition is very political. It's more often then not WHO is handling the youngster. And unfortunately for the youngsters the Hunter Judges like to see them fat and round. So there's the predicament of whether or not this over feeding will do some damage to the youngster.

If she did well in hand as a yearling at a Sporthorse Breed Show she probably has too much lift and engagement at the trot to do well in the Hunter Division. Some can cross over but not that many can.

ClassyRide
Jul. 13, 2011, 09:53 AM
Yes - in that lies the predicament. She's absolutely too "sproingy" as I call it (which is the lift and engagement you describe) at the trot to do well at Hunter in Hand.

So, I'm hoping to hear about some Sporthorse shows where she can compete in-hand - but because of my own lack of experience, I'm also hoping for something that's more of a local-level, or "for fun" type show. I realize this may be very tough to come by, which is why I'm coming to another forum. I'm hoping perhaps the Dressage community can help. I'm also wondering if I should post this in the Sporthorse Breeding section. :confused:

tidy rabbit
Jul. 13, 2011, 10:01 AM
Showing in hand is over rated. ;-)

That said I'm taking 2 next Friday to do hunter breeding classes at an Ohio Hunter Jumper show.

Do you have a state organization you can email or call and ask them if they know of shows that run these classes? I know around here they are rare and usually not well attended.

ClassyRide
Jul. 13, 2011, 11:14 AM
Showing in hand is over rated. ;-)

That said I'm taking 2 next Friday to do hunter breeding classes at an Ohio Hunter Jumper show.

Do you have a state organization you can email or call and ask them if they know of shows that run these classes? I know around here they are rare and usually not well attended.

Tidy, I checked the website of the organization for my state. They have some Breeding classes of the in-hand variety, but only very few, and they are all money-earning classes, which says to me they're for the "big timers" - not lil ol' me trying to learn the ropes. lol

I suppose I don't have to actually show her. I could just take her to any show as a "bystander" and work with her on the grounds. I was sort of trying to find a place I could take her into a class or two mostly because I don't have my own trailer. So, a family friend will be trailering us wherever we go. I thought he may find it silly to take us to a show we're not even competing in, but I'll pay him the same amount regardless, so I guess it shouldn't matter. :winkgrin:

She's already such a "worldly" little filly, I hated to let her sit on the farm for the next year and a half/two years while she grows up and gets a little training under her. But, alas, I don't think there are local shows around here that have in-hand classes.

So, I'll either let her sit, or take her to a show to "play."

Thank you everybody!!! :) And Tidy, good luck in those hunter breeding classes!!! :yes:

baylady7
Jul. 13, 2011, 12:14 PM
I know that VADA/NoVA is having a breed show in late July, got an email saying entries are still open til the 18th of July. It is Leesburg at Morven Park

netg
Jul. 13, 2011, 12:45 PM
Do you have any local stock-type schooling shows?

I would totally (and probably will when I have one again) take a baby and do halter and showmanship, knowing there will be no placings unless there are fewer than 6 horses in a class. Teach a horse to stand still, stand square, and deal with all kinds of weird things going on around them. Horses at stock-type shows tend to gather more closely than shows you'll attend under saddle, and they just expect all the horses to be ok. I think it's a great exposure for babies, and since I would expect a schooling show to be inexpensive I wouldn't care about throwing away entry fees for it.

Good for you that you have plans to take things slowly, while continuing to keep your baby exposed to the world, by the way. I love that you said you want to do dressage for a while before jumping. I'm a big fan of horses who are adjustable, and who find it natural to shorten and lengthen as asked while staying balanced at all times - and that's what dressage should be able to give your future jumper.

Good luck! Please keep us updated if you do find some sport horse in hand classes!

horsetales
Jul. 13, 2011, 12:54 PM
If you are looking more at getting her out and get her comfortable with the show exp. check out the FEH program. There are a number of those available in the PA/MD border area. I believe 15 horses are in the one this weekend at Loch Moy in MD. The ideal event horse must be able to jump as well as be competitive in dressage, so you may do very well

ise@ssl
Jul. 13, 2011, 02:33 PM
We have shown young stock in the past but as of last year we changed our policy that no youngsters under 3 would be shown in hand. Over the years when we did show we saw such ranges of scoring (even at the same shows) from judges that it was not worth the money, time and stress.

Additionally at the World Breeding Federation for Sporthorses - General Assembly conference that took place in September - the same time as Dressage at Devon - one comment about the Breed Show came from many of the participants. They could NOT understand why we take our youngsters to these shows. They stated that their foals go to their inspections and then they are turned out to grow and mature. At 3 they start their training for Testing under saddle or to do Materiale classes (which are under saddle & in hand). After speaking with many of them - I felt this change in our program was where we wanted to go.
We will have one or two 3 yo's out to show in Materiale classes and also U/S schooling shows but we are not taking any of the youngsters to Breed Shows again. As our mares are started they are focused toward the Mare Performance Test. And now that the Oldenburg NA is offer the Performance Test for geldings - they too will go to through the testing.

Breed shows here in the US are costly and as I stated before the judging is consistently inconsistent. And we never sold a single youngster from any of the shows. So money that would be spent on entry fees, shipping, handling, etc. is re-directed to training.

SmartAlex
Jul. 13, 2011, 02:40 PM
How about checking out some of the Inter-State or Penn-Ohio circuit shows and taking her in the breed halter as a sport horse?

mainerinmd
Jul. 14, 2011, 06:12 AM
Sometimes you can find shows off the beaten path so to speak. Here is a flyer from Blue Ridge Arabian Horse Association. They hold shows that have open classes as well as Arabian/Half arabian. http://www.4braha.com/pdf/hcf2009.pdf

ClassyRide
Jul. 14, 2011, 07:26 AM
Nice! Great suggestions everyone - thanks! :)

I know there are some stock-type local shows around here, and I can look into the other types of shows that were mentioned here, too - including breed-specific shows that may offer Open classes. I have a lot more options than I initially thought! Thanks everyone! :yes:

netg
Jul. 14, 2011, 10:19 AM
Nice! Great suggestions everyone - thanks! :)

I know there are some stock-type local shows around here, and I can look into the other types of shows that were mentioned here, too - including breed-specific shows that may offer Open classes. I have a lot more options than I initially thought! Thanks everyone! :yes:

Just don't feel offended if your lovely horse does poorly in those classes - not exactly what they're looking for! But it's good mileage and experience without much pressure, lets you get them gussied up, etc.

Equibrit
Jul. 14, 2011, 02:02 PM
http://www.usdf.org/awards/all-breeds/dshb-all-breeds.asp

Calendar; http://www.usdf.org/calendar/competitions.asp?regionpass=EastCoast&Typepass=Breeders&YearPass=2011

They usually have some professional handlers at the shows. You could get one to show your baby a few times while you learn from them.

RunningwaterWBs
Jul. 14, 2011, 02:25 PM
Hi Classy,

You aren't too far from me! There is a dressage breed show at the Bucks County Horse Park on July 30. Entries close July 20. There's a breed show at Maplewood Warmbloods August 5, and a double show at Stone Tavern at the NJ Horse Park August 31 and Sept 1.

Bucks County:
http://www.buckscountyhorsepark.org/dressage.html

Maplewoods:
http://maplewoodwarmbloods.com/category/news/events/

Stone Tavern:
http://www.horseparkofnewjersey.com/2011_pdf/DAST%20Breed%20Prizelist.pdf

Showing in hand is a great way to get young horses used to the show scene. The shows tend to be small and fun (especially if you know a few people there). I'd be happy to talk to you about showing in hand, just use the link to my website to get my contact info.