PDA

View Full Version : Classic Equine soft touch girth: rubs?

Hampton Bay
Jul. 12, 2011, 08:27 PM
I bought one of these with elastic on both ends for my 3-yo filly who is just being started under saddle. It seems to fit fine, could be 2" longer and still work, but not tiny by any stretch.

She's getting small rubs right behind her front legs, but almost underneath. Right at the bottom of her barrel, one on each side, totally symmetrical. Has anyone else had issues with those girths causing rubs? I usually use a Wintec, and it's not rubbed my other horses. This is the first soft touch I've had.

This filly does have a very fine summer coat. Maybe she will need a sheepskin cover, or a cord girth?

I'm asking as I thought the soft touch were supposed to not rub. Of course every horse is different, just speaking in general terms. I would try the Wintec on her, but it's way too big without 2 half pads and a regular pad.

arabiansrock
Jul. 13, 2011, 01:11 AM
HB, I have one and it is fine on one mare and rubbed the other one bloody. I think some horses are just sensitive to hte neoprene.

Hampton Bay
Jul. 13, 2011, 06:57 PM
What do you use on the one who can't use the Soft Touch?

arabiansrock
Jul. 14, 2011, 03:17 AM
right now a fleece girth from smartpak, btw they are on salefor 19 bucks right now!

I need to get her an anatomical girth ala the county logic but have never seen a fleece lined one.. Oh well.

SillyHorse
Jul. 14, 2011, 09:34 AM
I bought a mohair girth and all my girth problems went away.

ddashaq
Jul. 14, 2011, 09:42 AM
I did not have an issue with rubs, but the gelding I had last year strongly disliked the soft touch girth I bought him. He was fine in the thin neoprene like smartpak sells, but was awful about saddling if I used the soft touch. I think that they just don't work on some horses.

SillyHorse, where did you find your mohair? I have a mohair western cinch that I love, would love to find an english girth in the same!

SillyHorse
Jul. 14, 2011, 02:12 PM
SillyHorse, where did you find your mohair? I have a mohair western cinch that I love, would love to find an english girth in the same!
http://store.artcords.com/categories.aspx?Keyword=dressage

Hampton Bay
Jul. 14, 2011, 06:55 PM
I love mohair girths, but since dressage ones are so pricey, I don't want to get one made and have her outgrow it in 6 months or a year. Maybe I'll stalk ebay for a used one. In the mean time, I might be able to use my longer Wintec with the cc saddle instead of the dressage saddle.

magienoire
Jul. 14, 2011, 08:00 PM
my mare gets rubs from any girth that has a seam or rough *top side*. it happens as her leg reaches forward in each stride, it rubs over the top of the girth. if yours is getting rubs very close to the elbow (ie not under the girth itself) you may want to look into either using girth socks (i get mine at Dressage Extensions) or possibly something like the Kieffer neoprene girth that has no top seam exposed.

staceyk
Jul. 14, 2011, 10:31 PM
I have used them for years on my two horses, never had rubs. I do think the newer curved models might be more forgiving. Do your horses work up a sweat at the girth? I would guess that sweat would be good with neoprene...

Hampton Bay
Jul. 14, 2011, 11:03 PM
The rubs are under the girth more, not right behind the elbow. It's definitely the underside of the girth that's rubbing.

She's not really working up a sweat for the most part. When I ride her down the road she does sweat some because it's so absurdly hot, but normally our rides are only about 15 minutes. I noticed it after a short ride of mostly walk and trot (very forward trot, takes after mom). The day before that we has ridden about a mile down the road and back at a walk, and she did sweat some then.

I'll get her one of the fleece ones while they are on sale at SP.