PDA

View Full Version : Turning For Home retirement program featured on NBC10 show

Barbara L.
Jul. 12, 2011, 01:45 PM
Tomorrow morning at 11 a.m., Luann Cahn's The 10 Show at 11 (NBC10 Philadelphia) will air a feature on Parx Racing's Turning for Home racehorse retirement program. Ms Cahn spent a full day with us two weeks ago and I am hoping the show will aptly portray the great things about OTTBs, as well as how much the local racing industry at Parx/Philadelphia Park supports our program.

In her own personal life, Ms. Cahn has made it a point to do one "new" thing every day--and the day they filmed, her special thing was riding a horse. She and her cameraman both can attest to the fact that Thoroughbreds are wonderful, as you will see in the show, as Joint Account and Just Turn West (two of our retirees up for adoption) toted them both, plus camera, around the farm.

If you miss the show, I will put a link to it on our website tomorrow afternoon.

Barbara L.
Jul. 18, 2011, 08:16 PM
Anyone see it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkseYbsn9eY

SEPowell
Jul. 19, 2011, 08:03 AM
No, didn't see it so thank you for the link!

BeverlyAStrauss
Jul. 19, 2011, 10:02 AM
Very cool!- any PR for our ex-racers is super- good job, Barb- wish they had gotten the web address right though.......but at least your phone number was correct-

Dispatcher
Jul. 19, 2011, 10:10 AM
Just watched the video--thanks for posting it.

But really, the reporter riding, rather sitiing on the horse, in high heeled boots?

Glad she did the story, but I wish it had been someone with more credibility.

judybigredpony
Jul. 19, 2011, 10:20 AM
Just watched the video--thanks for posting it.

But really, the reporter riding, rather sitiing on the horse, in high heeled boots?

Glad she did the story, but I wish it had been someone with more credibility.

Ditto and possibly done a wee bit more sluething...

Barbara L.
Jul. 19, 2011, 10:49 AM
Picky, picky!

It was a fluff piece, but we were happy to do it! Anything that promotes the fact that horsemen do take care of their own is great publicity for the industry. As you all probably know, when you are the subject of a tv show, you cannot always control the depth of the story--we could have made an hour long piece and it wouldn't have seemed like enough.

(If you want to see our own 6 minute video, check out our website...)

Lu Ann was wonderful, and truly cared about the horses, and although her boots may not have been appropriate, she certainly proved to the general public (which is the audience for that show) that racehorses are amazing!

At least she wore a helmet and signed a release form.

BeverlyAStrauss
Jul. 19, 2011, 12:00 PM
I think the boots, etc showed her lack of experience and really spotlighted (spotlit??) how adaptable and kind our OTTBs are- see, you don't have to be a pro- now I wish you had pics of the cameraman with his camera on his horse-

I fully expected that someone would be leading them, so that was even better- it was great!

Barbara L.
Jul. 20, 2011, 06:21 AM
Bev: I do have pictures of him with the camera on top of Just Turn West! I'll email them to you. I'll add a couple to our website, too.

Justin, as they call Just Turn West, did not bat an eye over the whole procedure, although I admit I was a bit nervous handing the camera up to him after he got aboard.

They didn't make it onto the show because he was filming at the time, but I took tons of pictures for our newsletter. If I knew how to post them here, I would...

Newsletter will be on our website August 5 or so...

Next project: Animal Planet and Wild About Animals spent all day at parx two weeks ago, and is finishing up in mid-August for a show early next year.