PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite cooling vest when riding dressage?

ClassynIvansMom
Jul. 10, 2011, 04:37 PM
While shopping for show approved apparel, I'm coming across more rules in the USEF rulebook that permit cooling vests under coats, and now I'm intrigued. I'm considering getting a Cool Medics stock tie, but now I'm also checking out different brands of cooling vests. Who out there uses one, and which brand have you found to be most effective? I'm battling highs in the 90s and 100s down here in the deep south, so cooling apparel sounds like a great idea to me that I'm ready to buy into :)

carolprudm
Jul. 10, 2011, 04:48 PM
Today was the first time i used my new CoolMedics vest and I was pleased.

It wasn't horrible here today, 90 with a heat index of 94. I was worried that it wouldn't work in the humidity

jenm
Jul. 10, 2011, 05:18 PM
I have all kinds of Cool Medics products from the vest to a poll cap for my horse, and I love them.

However, I am also in CA where even on our hottest days, we really don't have humidity. I have heard not all cooling products work well in humid climates, so I'm sure someone from another part of the country will chime in.

Galloping Granny
Jul. 10, 2011, 07:59 PM
I just came in from 2 hours of feeding, cleaning stalls, and sweeping barns. (and giving baths to very hot horses) I am wearing my Hyperkewl women's sport vest and I'm comfortable. It 110 degress out there. Now if only they'd make them for horses!

wildlifer
Jul. 10, 2011, 08:05 PM
I tried a CoolMedics vest in our humid heat this summer. It did NOT help. It was like wearing a heavy wet blanket. Maybe if you live somewhere with low humidity and a constant breeze, but definitely not here. Ugh, so glad I did not pay for it!

Galloping Granny
Jul. 10, 2011, 08:08 PM
Well, I agree that they work best in lower humidity, but I'm in Kansas and most of the time it's humid - like today at 110! My face was covered in sweat, but my core temp. was safe and comfortable.

carolprudm
Jul. 10, 2011, 08:13 PM
Yup, lower humidity would be better, but it's still better than nothing

AlfalfaGirl
Jul. 10, 2011, 08:26 PM
There are four of us here that ride with these http://hobbyhillfarm.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=128&products_id=692 and we are very pleased with them. They were economical and we also got the cap insert so our heads are cooler - my hair looks like the pits when I take my hat off but I can live with that!

We live in southeast Texas on the Gulf Coast and it is not only hot here it is very humid. We have been riding early early in the morning and it hasn't been too bad with the vests on. The colors are nice - we each have a different color, the silver (looks dove grey to me) khaki, tidal blue and purple. We don't ride without them anymore!

Cupcake
Jul. 10, 2011, 08:28 PM
I have a cooling vest, its made by a company who sells them to motorcycle race folks. It's really nice...I wish I could remember the name, because it only cost bout $40. I got mine from VTO saddlery last year.

I wore my vest today in Maryland, at a horse show....It got pretty hot today, and the vest really helped.

And they do work better in less humid climates...but I will take what I can get.

GimmeQs
Jul. 10, 2011, 08:35 PM
Not to hijack as I think this will be important to you too :

I got a white Coolmedics vest to show in. But the reccomended "hand and spot clean only" does not get ANY dirt off. I am talking the light, dry dust that has been blown across the ring ~ doesn't come out at all. And when I used a *tad* of real laundry detergent, it clearly hurt the cooling material, as it started oozing through the fabric. In addition (as the dust doesn't look *that* bad), the bottom of the vest, in both the front and the back, became stained black from the first ride and contact with my saddle ~ and that IS VERY noticeable.

After five rides in the vest, it is no longer acceptable for showing (except under a jacket). And now the vest is half dirty and 1/5 ruined from me testing various soaps.

Anybody else have this problem? Found a solution? OP you may want to get an off~white color if you go for the full vest, or remember to not wear makeup that can drip onto your cooling tie.

I have found the CoolMedics vest to be helpful here in Connecticut. My only concern is that I have less constant reminding about how my horse may be feeling in the heat, since I feel cooler than normal.

Let us know what you choose and how it works, especially if you get the tie.

atr
Jul. 10, 2011, 08:43 PM
I have one of the original coolmedics vests. I'm pretty sure I've never washed it, I'm ashamed to say. And I know I've had it for probably 10 years.

Out here in the desert, it works well. But, when I bought mine, they only came in a not very fetching bright blue and it is short, so you could wear it under a shad. But, for schooling, it isn't a very flattering look once your shirt poofs out underneath it... I may spring for a full torso one next year...

friesian4me
Jul. 10, 2011, 09:31 PM
How should the cooling vest fit? Loose, tight?

yaya
Jul. 10, 2011, 10:13 PM
I just came in from 2 hours of feeding, cleaning stalls, and sweeping barns. (and giving baths to very hot horses) I am wearing my Hyperkewl women's sport vest and I'm comfortable. It 110 degress out there. Now if only they'd make them for horses!

That Hobby Hill Farm link in Alfalfa Girl's post has a cooling vest for horses. Anybody ever use one?

PiaffePlease
Jul. 10, 2011, 10:15 PM
I was just googleing these today and read alot of mixed reviews. Supposedly they dont work great in high humidity. The biggest negative I read was that the rider/wearer of the vest ends up being drenched from the water.

Anyone have any insight on whether the rider gets wet while wearing the vest? I was really hoping to get something because I dont do well in the heat and Ill be showing outdoors when its in the 90s. I was looking at this one:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/hyperkewl-cooling-vest-9461p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

carolprudm
Jul. 11, 2011, 07:00 AM
I was just googleing these today and read alot of mixed reviews. Supposedly they dont work great in high humidity. The biggest negative I read was that the rider/wearer of the vest ends up being drenched from the water.

Anyone have any insight on whether the rider gets wet while wearing the vest? I was really hoping to get something because I dont do well in the heat and Ill be showing outdoors when its in the 90s. I was looking at this one:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/hyperkewl-cooling-vest-9461p.aspx?cm_vc=Search
I was wearing a cotton tee underneath and it did get soaked. I am going to try to not soak the vest and also wear a wicking tee today. The predicted high is 94

magienoire
Jul. 11, 2011, 10:45 AM
Yes, you will get wet from the vest. But if you aren't wearing it, you'll get wet from sweat.

I had a Coolmedics, and followed their washing instructions (machine wash, gentle cycle). It destroyed the vest, so now they come with the "spot clean only" instructions. I find these to be far too expensive for how long they last. I now buy the motorcycle version on eBay for about $35ish, use it a couple of summers and toss. I also buy the black ones. I was told by Coolmedics that the darker colors are actually better for cooling, they absorb sunlight better and therefore evaporate more quickly.

carolprudm
Jul. 11, 2011, 11:59 AM
Just came in from 2 hours of barn chores.

A half hour or so before I went out I put some crushed ice in my still damp vest. Not all the ice had thawed but the vest was noticably cold for about an hour and i was still comfortable when I came in.

The wicking tee shirt rather than the cotton one didn't seem to get as wet, or maybe the vest wasn't as wet to begin with.

It's 90 with a heat index of 102

ClassynIvansMom
Jul. 19, 2011, 12:49 PM
Hey, for those that mentioned the idea of one for their ponies:

http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=TI00019&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=07142011&utm_content=textlink_tn-hypercool-blanket&utm_campaign=hot