PDA

View Full Version : Totilas in the WSJ

Eventer13
Jul. 9, 2011, 07:17 PM
On the front page. Article gets a few things wrong, but I never expected to see anything equestrian-related, let alone dressage, there!

Mike Matson
Jul. 9, 2011, 07:37 PM
Let me assist you with a link. ;)

http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=11880

Anewpony
Jul. 9, 2011, 11:35 PM
So, what do we glean from the article in the WSJ?

1) The WSJ can be paid to do an article just like Dressage Daily.

2) This sport just proved that its about who has money and connections, and not at all about the quality of the horse and rider *combination* (watch the accompanying video if you have doubts).

3) Matthias Alexander Rath can't ride the horse anywhere close to the level that Edward Gal did.

4) Matthias Alexander Rath is not even close to being the spokesman like Edward Gal to sell a brand.

Unfortunately, this shows how money talks above all else. Yes Totilas is an exceptional horse, but this article and video along with it damn it for anyone in the sport to think that money and connections do not trump all.

So people spend how much again to compete in this sport again? Adult Ammies, you should continue doing this... Why?

Sunsets
Jul. 9, 2011, 11:43 PM
Because I like the challenge? Owners with the kind of cash to spend on a horse like Totilas are so far removed from my sort of life, it's not even worth fussing over.

So Totilas is with a rider who is not as good. Big deal. He's still healthy, competing, and producing offspring.

Given how quickly horses can go from winning championships to "dead lame", I don't see why the collective gets so worked up over a business deal like this.

cnm161
Jul. 10, 2011, 12:13 AM
So people spend how much again to compete in this sport again? Adult Ammies, you should continue doing this... Why?

Can't speak for you, but I'm not exactly riding in the same league. Whole different ballgame once you get to the international levels. What MR and his backers do with their money (or don't!) has absolutely no effect on me or my scores/placings.

Someone's always gonna have more. More talent, more money, more whatever. Because I'm not the best in the world (or richest, or whatever) doesn't mean I'm going to throw in the towel and quit the sport. As Sunsets said, it's the challenge.

paulaedwina
Jul. 10, 2011, 07:04 AM
Owners with the kind of cash to spend on a horse like Totilas are so far removed from my sort of life, it's not even worth fussing over.

This. They barely register on my radar. I think I'm too old for any kind of cult of personality I'm afraid. I'm much more inspired by technique. I can watch Klimke's video from the 1984 olympics over and over again and marvel at his ability and try to visualize it - you know what I mean?

Paula

Lost_at_C
Jul. 10, 2011, 07:13 AM
Interesting. Here's the full article online: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304760604576427870323633818.html?m od=WSJ_Ahed_LEADTop

They really hammered the point that he supposedly wins due to flashiness.... no mention of his correctness and technical ability. Oh well. I think London is going to be verrrry interesting.

As for why AAs should continue in light of the power of money, well money doesn't buy talent or ability... ask Katie Price who tried to buy her way in and look where it got her. Granted, money can certainly buy opportunity but for those of us who are less well-heeled it just means having slightly more modest goals and appreciating the magnitude of achievements that go unnoticed by 99.999% of the population!

atr
Jul. 10, 2011, 06:55 PM
As an average AA living in the hinterlands, I don't "do dressage" in order to be able to compete with the likes of Totilas--that's an entirely different world. Just as the average club tennis player might do well in local tournament play, but doesn't expect to get to Wimbledon.

I do what I do to get my horse fitter, sounder, more supple and more obedient. Nothing nicer than riding a balanced, obedient, fit and happy horse down the trail on a sunny afternoon.

I show because it's a goal to work towards, it gives me a good competitive outlet, and because it's darned good fun to take my pretty horse out to play with our friends.

Arizona DQ
Jul. 10, 2011, 07:19 PM
4) Unfortunately, this shows how money talks above all else. Yes Totilas is an exceptional horse, but this article and video along with it damn it for anyone in the sport to think that money and connections do not trump all.

Good grief... who peed in your Cheerios?

Many of us, Adult Ammies, train and compete for the love of the sport.; for the challenge of how far and how well we can do as a team? Not many of us are heading for the Olympics except to watch and enjoy....... Sounds like "someone" has been bitten my the Green Monster...:no::no:

belambi
Jul. 10, 2011, 07:27 PM
. At a recent show in Wiesbaden, he said, a woman tried to buy a rubber glove that the horse had spat on as a souvenir.

Bet you she was going to clone him.. cheaper than breeding to him!! ;)

Mardi
Jul. 10, 2011, 08:32 PM
My goodness.

For all the complaining we do about how equestrian sports (especially dressage) never get any airtime or print space in the mainstream media, I'd think we'd all be shouting from the rooftops about Totilas making the front page of the WSJ. Instead the reaction here is more sniping about the horse and rider, anad why the article was published.

This is HUGE ! Don't you get it ? Finally an article about a show horse instead of a race horse. And finally an article about dressage, our sport.

It took an early morning phone call from a non-horsey friend to alert me to the article ...even she was interested in the story and photo.

Can we say THANK YOU to the WSJ ?

IdahoRider
Jul. 10, 2011, 10:36 PM
This is HUGE ! Don't you get it ? Finally an article about a show horse instead of a race horse. And finally an article about dressage, our sport.

Yes! Exactly this.
Sheilah

dwblover
Jul. 10, 2011, 10:49 PM
I am also super excited that Totilas and dressage made it into the WSJ!!! That horse has done SO much for our sport, and I HATE:mad: that everyone is being so negative about his sale. Yes, I would love it if Edward Gal still had the ride, but all this sniping and bashing of his new rider and owners is really taking away from what a magnificent creature Totilas is. Let's all just enjoy this phenomenal horse and thank him for his service to dressage!!!:D

Peace
Jul. 11, 2011, 07:01 AM
He's doing a fine job!! Seriously those folks that are still whining about the sale are beginning to look pathetic... no not look I mean are. :rolleyes::sigh:

Arizona DQ
Jul. 11, 2011, 02:47 PM
I am also super excited that Totilas and dressage made it into the WSJ!!! That horse has done SO much for our sport, and I HATE:mad: that everyone is being so negative about his sale. Yes, I would love it if Edward Gal still had the ride, but all this sniping and bashing of his new rider and owners is really taking away from what a magnificent creature Totilas is. Let's all just enjoy this phenomenal horse and thank him for his service to dressage!!!:D

EXACTLY!!!!!!! Well said! :D:D

dalpal
Jul. 11, 2011, 03:21 PM
As an average AA living in the hinterlands, I don't "do dressage" in order to be able to compete with the likes of Totilas--that's an entirely different world. Just as the average club tennis player might do well in local tournament play, but doesn't expect to get to Wimbledon.

I do what I do to get my horse fitter, sounder, more supple and more obedient. Nothing nicer than riding a balanced, obedient, fit and happy horse down the trail on a sunny afternoon.

I show because it's a goal to work towards, it gives me a good competitive outlet, and because it's darned good fun to take my pretty horse out to play with our friends.

I love your post and totally agree. People get too emotionally stirred up over a situation that has absolutely nothing to do with them/nor will it ever impact their personal lives.

Anewpony
Jul. 11, 2011, 10:26 PM
Good grief... who peed in your Cheerios?

Many of us, Adult Ammies, train and compete for the love of the sport.; for the challenge of how far and how well we can do as a team? Not many of us are heading for the Olympics except to watch and enjoy....... Sounds like "someone" has been bitten my the Green Monster...:no::no:

Arizona DQ, I understand completly.. However, I'm not just being cynical here. You do understand that if there was no payoff or some type of friendship with someone at the WSJ, there is no way that this combo would have landed on the front page, right?

If it really had been about Totilas, then this headline would have happened when Edward Gal rode the horse at the (so far) pinnacle of his career. Now, he has a decent rider, who he and Totalis's new owners put out a video where its so clear he can't ride the horse as well, and actually can't market the horse as well.... (why on earth would they have so many technical errors in a video for a sport they are supposed to be at the top of, in the WSJ nontheless!!!)

This is about money, and positioning/profiting on moving the (horse) sport to the realms that your average ammie can't get to. How many race horses are owned by regular joes that are hitting the big time? This is an avenue to make our sport into a shell game, one which if you can't put the money up, you will never win, and therefore never profit. The video that accompanied this article... With Mathess riding.... Its very clear Paul S does't know the sport either. Any of our top trainers today would really have no choice but to agree whoever let this pass into the main stream media had no clue about dressage and our expectations. If you put a video like that on the WSJ, expect everyone else in the industry to notice.

belambi
Jul. 12, 2011, 04:44 AM
Its such a shame that this article is poorly researched. To state that olympic dressage draws poor crowds proves this. Infact it is normally the first sport to be sold out all of its tickets.

Velvet
Jul. 12, 2011, 08:47 AM
Next time, you might want to spell out Wall Street Journal in the title! :lol: Not everyone here thinks of it as an acronym.

pluvinel
Jul. 12, 2011, 08:53 AM
.... You do understand that if there was no payoff or some type of friendship with someone at the WSJ, there is no way that this combo would have landed on the front page, right?

This is about money, and positioning/profiting on moving the (horse) sport to the realms that your average ammie can't get to. How many race horses are owned by regular joes that are hitting the big time? This is an avenue to make our sport into a shell game, one which if you can't put the money up, you will never win, and therefore never profit. The video that accompanied this article... With Mathess riding.... Its very clear Paul S does't know the sport either. Any of our top trainers today would really have no choice but to agree whoever let this pass into the main stream media had no clue about dressage and our expectations. If you put a video like that on the WSJ, expect everyone else in the industry to notice.

Or perhaps about Rupert Murdock butchering what used to be a great financial newspaper.

The Bancroft family sold out to Murdoch in a protracted family battle. The (previously very staid) WSJ has been on the decline ever since as dry financial news has been supplanted with stuff like the Totilas story.

Murdoch is the owner of "News of the World" a tabloid that was just shut down (after 168 years in operation) for illegal activities (such as paying police for information, hacking into voicemails of celebrities, murder victims.....)

cnm161
Jul. 12, 2011, 09:22 AM
It might be Murdoch, or it might not. The family may have paid off the newspaper, or maybe not. But no matter how you slice it the WSJ is a financially-minded newspaper, and the movement of that much money in exchange for a horse IS financially-minded news.

I disagree that the WSJ has not had fluff pieces before Murdoch... it has a pretty long tradition of departure from its staid reputation for whimsical or just odd stories that have only a tangential relationship to world markets. For example:

Herd on the Street: a collection of arcane animal articles spanning back 60 yrs (http://www.amazon.com/Herd-Street-Animal-Stories-Journal/dp/B000C4SF9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310476285&sr=8-1)

It's hard to get an Olympic-level horse unless you've got some money backing you up. And it's hard to become an Olympic-level rider-- period. Money or no money. "Your average ammie" isn't going to reach the Olympics. That's the price of popularity in the sport. As with most sports, there's a huge amount of competitors (comparatively) at the lower levels and at local shows. The pyramid narrows to just a select few at the top of the sport. How do you get there? By adding value to a breeding operation, to an owner of a horse, or by owning an international-quality horse yourself.

eponacelt
Jul. 12, 2011, 11:53 AM
Am I the only one who found the fact that Catherine Haddad was continuously listed as a "dressage critic" - rather than an actual rider and trainer pretty funny?

netg
Jul. 12, 2011, 12:57 PM
Am I the only one who found the fact that Catherine Haddad was continuously listed as a "dressage critic" - rather than an actual rider and trainer pretty funny?

I found it more funny that they kept referring to what he does as "prancing" and his competitions as "competitive training."

Not seemingly written by someone very involved in horses... but hey, I liked the point above - at least it's some more publicity in the mainstream media for dressage.

belambi
Jul. 12, 2011, 05:06 PM
[QUOTE=pluvinel;5714955Murdoch is the owner of "News of the World" a tabloid that was just shut down (after 168 years in operation) for illegal activities (such as paying police for information, hacking into voicemails of celebrities, murder victims.....)[/QUOTE]

????????? It is a paper that Murdoch..THE OWNER.. CHOSE to close because he doesnt approve of what happened in the papers past.

Probably find that he really has something else ready to step in to fill its spot, rather than something he is doing out of the goodness of his heart.

The incorrect and disparaging remarks about dressage as a sport in wsj do no favours.. and as for some of the resonses left in the leave comments section.. !

pluvinel
Jul. 12, 2011, 09:17 PM
Ah, yes.....Rupert Murdoch the naif.....

Mardi
Jul. 12, 2011, 10:40 PM
The Bancroft family sold out to Murdoch in a protracted family battle. The (previously very staid) WSJ has been on the decline ever since as dry financial news has been supplanted with stuff like the Totilas story.

Hmmmm I wonder what the Bancrofts (the late Bettina and her surviving daughter Elizabeth Goth Chelburg) would say about the Totilas story - a story about a top show horse - being published in the WSJ ? They're no strangers to equestrian sports and expensive competition horses....world champion saddlebreds, polo ponies, etc. were/are all in the family.

Coreene
Jul. 13, 2011, 01:19 AM
News Corp is not Rupe's private fifedom. News of the World's £££ is what was propping up The Times, so it should be interesting to see how that spins out as well.

Love how the staff got their own back in the final crossword puzzle.

pluvinel
Jul. 17, 2011, 03:35 PM
News Corp is not Rupe's private fifedom. News of the World's £££ is what was propping up The Times, so it should be interesting to see how that spins out as well.

Love how the staff got their own back in the final crossword puzzle.

Well part of the fallout is that the Dow chief quits

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/07/14/murdoch-phone-hacking-scandal-roils-wall-street-journal-newsroom.html

Les Hinton, the chief executive of Rupert Murdoch’s Dow Jones & Co., which publishes The Wall Street Journal, announced Friday that he will step down. but says he was "ignorant of what apparently happened" when he oversaw Murdoch's British tabloids. Hinton was a top deputy to Murdoch for decades and ran News International, the British arm of News Corp., for a dozen years. In 2007, he swore to Parliament that phone-hacking at the tabloid News of the World was limited to just one rogue reporter—but in the past week numerous allegations have suggested that the corruption was much more widespread. Earlier today, current News International exec Rebekah Brooks announced her own departure.
On Tuesday, July 5, bureau chiefs and editors at The Wall Street Journal dialed into a conference call organized by Dennis Berman, the newspaper’s new editor in charge of corporate coverage. He trotted out some numbers: of the more than 1,200 front-page stories the Journal had run in the previous year, only 12 percent had been about corporations—formerly the paper’s bread and butter.

Danny1234
Jul. 24, 2011, 06:39 AM
Now that is interesting. As somebody said, if that article really was about Totilas and/or Dressage, of course it would haven happened sometime before/after/around WEG 2010.

I think the connection and the timing are obvious: Michael Mronz is in charge of the Rath-Totilas-PR, and he is of course the manager of the CHIO Aachen, and he is of course the husband (they married in September 2010) of Guido Westerwelle, who happens to be Germany's Foreign Minister, and therefore should of course have good relations to WSJ.

I.e., it is shameless CHIO-PR, using political connections of your spouse.
If this would be/had been wider known in Germany, it would create quite a scandal I think, as it borders to using your political position for private matters.

Enderle
Jul. 24, 2011, 07:15 AM
using political connections of your spouse.
Or the other way round? WSJ being interested because of the political connections of Michael Mronz?

Actually, I don't think the "Totilas-Team" is so much interested in PR in the US at this time.

dalpal
Jul. 24, 2011, 07:45 AM
It never ceases to amaze me what people can find to gripe about in the dressage world....

Let's see...we have people griping that we don't have ENOUGH publicity/support/viewers in this country.....then there is a WSJ article on Toto and now people are griping about that..

WHO CARES WHY it was was in the Journal. Good grief, can you not just read the article and enjoy it like most normal Americans without scrutinizing it to death??????? Must everything concerning this horse be some sort of conspiracy?

MyssMyst
Jul. 24, 2011, 11:35 AM
It never ceases to amaze me what people can find to gripe about in the dressage world....

Let's see...we have people griping that we don't have ENOUGH publicity/support/viewers in this country.....then there is a WSJ article on Toto and now people are griping about that..

WHO CARES WHY it was was in the Journal. Good grief, can you not just read the article and enjoy it like most normal Americans without scrutinizing it to death??????? Must everything concerning this horse be some sort of conspiracy?

COTH needs a "like" button for posts like this!