PDA

View Full Version : Dressage Arena Surfaces

WILLOW&CAL
Jul. 9, 2011, 04:44 PM
Hey all

What do you like/prefer/recommend as an arena surface for an outdoor dressage arena? What are your (good and bad)experiences with various surfaces? My barn owner is looking to upgrade an arena and I'm just doing some research in this regard. I'm in the southern hemisphere where we have no snow to speak of and very hot conditions in summer. We currently have one grass and one sand arena. The sand is the one she's looking to upgrade.

I'd really appreciate any input

ToN Farm
Jul. 9, 2011, 06:03 PM
You may want to search in the On The Farm forum for some ideas. I had river sand and rubber in my outdoor. It worked great. Nowadays there are a lot more choices.

MeghanDACVA
Jul. 9, 2011, 07:15 PM
I did mine about 6 yrs ago. 1/3 concrete sand, 1/3 screenings/bluestone/rockdust/whatever your area calls it, 1/3 shredded rubber. Over a solid 8" base of compacted screenings/whatever. I love it. Unless we have had a drowning (wish we would) and there is water standing or it is frozen (rare in OK) it is always rideable. When water does stand after a drowning it is rideable the next day.

DutchDressageQueen
Jul. 9, 2011, 09:10 PM
I have ridden in many different footings and I do not like the rubber kind. I rode in it once at a warm up for a show, and after I was done warming up my horse, looked like he'd rolled in mud. ( it was a kind of black, greyish rubber and some sort of sand/clay) I personally like the whitish sand, with fibers. You need to keep it really wet, but it is a great footing, with spring, and does not get hard. again, you do need to keep it wet, but then you have great footing

CatPS
Jul. 9, 2011, 11:47 PM
I love the rubber, combined with either sand or screenings. Quite rideable even as long as it's not completely drowned or frozen, and I can just feel the horses' get a little extra spring in their step when we make it onto that footing.

sansibar
Jul. 10, 2011, 12:02 AM
I loooooooove the proequus footing system. It is amazing.

http://www.proequususa.com/index.htm I had the chance to ride in facilities with this type of footing and it is just amazing. They are used in FEI jumping and dressage competition venues. When it comes time to make our outdoor I would love to use them.