PDA

View Full Version : Dressage at Hickstead - Anyone going? Has anyone been?

TrakHack
Jul. 9, 2011, 03:27 PM
I've been fortunate enough to schedule an upcoming business trip to London to coincide with the CDI***** at Hickstead. This also coincides with the 5* CSI as well as the Royal International Horse Show.

Has anyone ever been to this event? Any tips for getting around the showgrounds? So far the map I've seen doesn't actually show the dressage arenas, it just says "to dressage arenas" at the bottom. It looks like a facility on the scale of the KHP, so I'm prepared for a lot of walking. Any must-see places or must-shop-at vendors?

I'm planning to take the train down for both Saturday and Sunday, and possibly Friday afternoon. Not sure if I'll be "horsed out" by that time, but I doubt it.

I'll be in Munich the following week if anyone has horse-related recommendations for that city. :)

tm
Jul. 9, 2011, 05:38 PM
I haven't been there in 10 years, but it's a great show, a huge showgrounds, and lots to see. Besides the jumpers and dressage, there are all sorts of interesting classes, like a pony scurry (driving), sidesaddle in period dress (judged partly on how correct the costume is for the era represented), and leadline (serious business, there!)

Yup, bring your walking shoes and your credit card, and have a blast!

ShannonLee
Jul. 10, 2011, 05:51 PM
I will be there! I have shown there twice before, it's my favorite show - lots of top riders and horses, lots of great great shopping. The show grounds is not as huge as KHP, but stilettos might not be the best choice for getting around:) Have a wonderful time and look me up if you get a chance! Shannon

welshrider
Jul. 10, 2011, 06:06 PM
I will be in Cardiff visiting my family and was toying with the idea of maybe going for the day. Any idea which day would be best for Dressage?