PDA

View Full Version : How much can I stretch boots in the calf?

GreyDes
Jul. 8, 2011, 09:32 PM
A friend has offered me a pair of her Sergio Grasso boots for an amazing price. BUT... they're a half-inch too small in the calf. I can get them zipped, but they're super snug. How much can I realistically stretch them without breaking the zipper? Is a 1/2" too much to hope for? :)

SanJacMonument
Jul. 8, 2011, 11:35 PM
Don't know where the OP lives, but Texas has some wondrful boot shops that may be able to stretch them for you. I don't think 1/2 inch is too much. Bring then to a good boot shop because they have calf stretcher molds. May take 1-2 weeks, but worth it!

Melissa.Van Doren
Jul. 8, 2011, 11:56 PM
1/2" is probably too much to hope for, but if you can get them zipped all the way up now, you probably don't need them stretched that much. Take them to a good tack shop or cobbler. They'll use a stretcher over a few days to open them up a bit.

mickeydoodle
Jul. 9, 2011, 12:08 AM
tried this myself- zippers broke at the most inopportune time- in the middle of a dressage test. it is difficult!

AlterBy
Jul. 9, 2011, 12:11 AM
It depends. Are they new?
Because if not, they might already have stretched for your friend's calves! (and might not be able to stretch more...)

BUT you could always have some sort of elastic gusset sew on...

cheekyhorse
Jul. 9, 2011, 12:59 PM
I tried this once, 1/2 inch is probably a bit too much to hope for. However, it is worth a try!! If it doesn't work, what I did, is I brought them in to a cobbler to have a touch of a bigger piece of elastic sewn in beside the zipper. Cost me about $50.

kaluha2
Jul. 9, 2011, 08:51 PM
GreyDes:

Haha that's the very same problem that I am having with my Sergios too. Mine are just a hair too tight. I am sending mine to the saddle doctor in Aiken, SC along with my Dehners. I have heard nothing but rave reviews from several extremely picky dressage riders and hunter riders that she is very good. I was also told that sometimes it might take a little longer to get your boots only because she is that good.

I did take my boots to a local cobbler that does some work for others in the area but he was very honest and said he would be worried about not doing what I needed done correctly. He said he can put in a gusset but beyond that----.

Good luck with the boots.

GreyDes
Jul. 9, 2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks all! Sounds like I better pass... :(