PDA

View Full Version : Micael Schaffer

Behind the 8 Ball
Jul. 7, 2011, 11:09 PM
Anyone ever clinic with him? I have been invited and had heard of him but had only thought in terms of his books. I want to bring my slightly stuck in neutral 4 year old and have been told the Mr. Schaffer excels in helping with youngsters.

Anyone?

3Spots
Jul. 8, 2011, 01:14 AM
Many years ago, before he wrote his first book, I met Mike via Compuserve forums and then flew to Texas to attend one of his clinics as an auditor. I was new in my exploration of horses and all I can say is that I was in awe.

He was very down-to-earth, very simple/direct, and the horses responded in kind. In fact he was so affable and genuine that he seemed like the guy-next-door rather than a "trainer."

For me, they were a truly engaging two days and I can only imagine he has become more refined in his wisdom. Have you visited his website?

jan

SaddleFitterVA
Jul. 8, 2011, 07:15 AM
Like 3Spots, I met Mike on Compuserve, but I went up to NJ with a group of friends to meet him in person...

I had a couple of other Compuserve friends with me, including an old German guy who was visiting with his daughter and it was an enjoyable trip.

Unfortunately, my primary memory of the lesson on his horse was the saddle that absolutely did not fit me, in fact, it caused great pain:(. This was also nearly 15 years ago, which also dulls my memory.

Go watch him teach if you are unsure.

Insert "the good ole days of the interwebz memory":

I almost was thinking that 3spots came on that trip, but then I remembered that the trip she came on was when we went to NC to visit another friend and dressage trainer. This was back before the interwebz became "normal". But it was the most supportive group and I learned tons about horsemanship and riding concepts from that forum.

Halfling
Jul. 9, 2011, 08:42 AM
Do an advanced search on Mike Schaffer/Michael Schaffer on the COTH Forums.

longride1
Jul. 10, 2011, 08:26 AM
Wow, I wondered where you two had got to! I had Mike come to NC for a couple of clinics while I was in Wilmington. I got a lot out of it, tools I still use today. Not all of the riders got on well with his teaching style, so if you don't want to be pushed out of your comfort zone don't go. And by all means be in a comfortable saddle. He has some good video on his web site that will give you an idea of his approach.

SaddleFitterVA
Jul. 10, 2011, 08:41 AM
longride1,

Barb, is that you?

Mel

kinnip
Jul. 10, 2011, 09:09 AM
I've never cliniced with him, but I am a member of his yahoo group. He is very down to earth, and will answer questions readily. You can get to the group via his website.

longride1
Jul. 10, 2011, 10:56 PM
Hi Mel, yes it's me. Found most of the old gang on FB but missing a few of the Hurricane crew. Just got back from 10 days in California with Lynn Wilder. Other people have class reunions. I have friends from the Horse Forum.

Ghazzu
Jul. 10, 2011, 11:19 PM
I've done a number of clinics with Mike, with several of my horses.
In each case, both the horse and I benefited from it.
He may antagonize some people, but I find his approach quite useful.

3Spots
Jul. 10, 2011, 11:31 PM
Hi Barb!

I'm scared to death of FB -- so I miss the old gang because I am not there. I am positive someone is going to post something about "you were in rare form last night" and it'll be something my next career position recruiter finds out, lol!

Back to Mike though -- this thread has mad me pull out Right From the Start and stick it on my nightstand for a refresher.

jan

TheBigO
Jul. 11, 2011, 02:49 PM
I participated in a clinic with Mike a few years ago and found him to be informative and enjoyable. Being the only HJ Rider in the group, I was a bit nervous, but he gave us some really good technical advice. However, when I saw him ride someone else's horse, his very loose rein approach looked a bit odd.