PDA

View Full Version : JC Registration Question

RooMB4
Jul. 6, 2011, 10:20 PM
Hello -

I'm looking for information or clarification on a situation. I'm looking at 3 young TB's who are currently owned by their breeder. She has run out of money and is basically in a herd dispersal situation. Two of the horses aren't broke yet but the third is. The third has supposedly been to the track but when she went to enter him, she realized her former husband never paid the JC registration fee so he was unable to run. None have tattoos.

Here is my question - she sent me their names and a link to their pedigrees. The pedigrees show up on Pedigree Query but there is no record of their names on the JC online names book and they are not listed on Equineline.com. I know joe-shmoe can enter info on Ped Q so was wondering if that's what she did. All three have decent breeding if they are in fact the horses she claims them to be. Is there any way to verify that the names/bloodlines and the actual horse are the same (without blood testing, etc)? Am I missing something?

Laurierace
Jul. 6, 2011, 10:26 PM
Well the short version is the horses are not registered which is why they aren't showing up under their registered names. They don't have registered names. You can look up their statuses under their dam's name and it will tell you what requirements are outstanding. Getting a horse all the way to the point of being entered ie published works, gate card etc then finding out it isn't registered seems impossible to me.

jengersnap
Jul. 7, 2011, 09:38 AM
Getting a horse all the way to the point of being entered ie published works, gate card etc then finding out it isn't registered seems impossible to me.

What Laurie said. We're suppose to have papers on file in the office when a horse ships in, or they are tracked down very soon thereafter by an unhappy administrative type. Sounds like she's the one missing a lot of somethings.

Bacchus
Jul. 7, 2011, 09:57 AM
Go to interactive registration on TJC registry website to find out what's missing for registration. You need the dam's name and horse's year of birth. Also, I highly doubt she entered a horse into a race without a tattoo or papers, but it is possible. Seems as if she would have at least had it tattooed before entering. She does seem a bit clueless, though. BTW, if the horses are older than a year or so, the registration fees are going to be high -- up to $2000.

Bacchus
Jul. 7, 2011, 09:58 AM
Also, verifying who they are will be almost impossible without DNA testing unless they actually have been registered and you can verify by markings.

witherbee
Jul. 7, 2011, 11:19 AM
The DNA testing is not that expensive ($80) and it is worth giving Lisa at JV Registration a call - she is great. Going through this with our rescue yearling - had the wrong dam name and they have been so helpful getting the correct dam and letting me know next steps.

You can register with the JC website and look up Registration Status as the previous poster mentioned...

Good luck!

RooMB4
Jul. 7, 2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks for all the help guys...I looked up their Reg Status - two weren't even found in the system, the other had a LF/NF listing and that's as far as it got. The ages she gave me were also off by a year on a couple of them. Unfortunately, I can't take a chance on the colts because for breeding purposes (non-racing) I need/want to know their pedigrees as will prospective clients. Not sure yet what I will do about the filly - I'm just irked that this "trainer/owner" is so clueless and may be trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

Thanks again!!

witherbee
Jul. 7, 2011, 11:48 AM
RooMB4, that is frustrating! That is why I stay on top of the registration for my babies, but we only have 1 or 2 a year, so easy enough to do. Hope you can find the info on the filly at least.