PDA

View Full Version : $1000 prize will be awarded to the highest scoring CDI rider wearing approved helmet

baylady7
Jul. 6, 2011, 11:17 AM
I remember a thread on this awhile back, at least this idea. Some liked, many poo-pooed the idea. But looks like it took hold, per DressageDaily:

CDI Riders Offered Major Incentive to Wear Helmets at CDI Saugerties
2011 - June
Monday, 04 July 2011 06:39

Courtney King-Dye and Renee Isler (Photo Brigitte Voelk Photography)Centerline Events is VERY proud to present CKD Safety Award sponsored by Renee Isler. A $1000 prize will be awarded to the highest scoring CDI rider at the Centerline Events @ HITS, CDI Saugerties, August 19-21, 2011, who wears an approved helmet for all their CDI rides. Courtney King-Dye suffered a major head injury after one of her horses fell on her in Spring of 2010. With Courtney's strong advocation of safety and the wearing of helmets, in January of 2011, the USEF passed a major rule which revolutionized safety helmet wearing in the sport of Dressage here in the US.
Now Courtney with her long time sponsor, friend, and advocate of safety, Renee Isler, are taking it one step further to the international level and offering a huge incentive to receive cash money to wear an approved helmet during CDI rides at the Saugerties show. "Now it's starting to appear old fashioned when people wear top hats, like old pictures of people skiing on wooden skis," said Courtney. "Even the judges I've spoken to now think protecting your head looks good!"

CatPS
Jul. 6, 2011, 01:18 PM
That's awesome. I'll be at that show, and can't wait to see all the CDI rider sportin' their helmets! As comfy and attractive as helmets are these days, I don't see any reason why anyone wouldn't wear one.

TheHorseProblem
Jul. 6, 2011, 06:27 PM
I can't help thinking of the chronic tardy student who shows up before the bell rings the day after a parent conference and expects me to make a fuss because he was on time. I smile and say that I don't reward students for doing what they are expected to do and which their classmates do without fanfare every day.