PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain tb bits to me?

beaujolais
Jul. 5, 2011, 07:22 PM
Can someone explain tb bits to me?

What do we call the metal circle and the reason for it? What is the reason for the vetwrap material type thing that goes from bit ring to bit ring but under the chin and what is that called?

Any whatever else you can think of in tb bits? I see lots of things that I don't know what they are called, why it is used, etc.

Tx.

Laurierace
Jul. 5, 2011, 07:25 PM
The ring on the ring bit is to help steer. You pull hard enough on one rein and the ring brings the whole lower jaw along with it. I am drawing a blank on the second one you described. Do you have a pic?

sk_pacer
Jul. 5, 2011, 07:43 PM
? What is the reason for the vetwrap material type thing that goes from bit ring to bit ring but under the chin and what is that called?

Are you trying to describe a tongue tie? if so it is to keep the tongue in place and they vary in composition from fancy leather ones to worn out pantyhose.

Slewdledo
Jul. 5, 2011, 10:12 PM
I think maybe I know what you're talking about, but I don't know what it's called. (I could tell you the Spanish version of the name, but that wouldn't help much!) The ones we use have a buckle but they're not made of vetwrap - they loop through the rings and buckle under the chin. It's just to give the rider an extra measure of control and not let the horse get away with the bit. . I'll see if I can find a picture.

beaujolais
Jul. 5, 2011, 11:30 PM
SK, not a tongue tie. Yes, Slew, that is it.

Gotcha all on the ring - does the ring type bit have a name?

Someone told me it's so that the bit rings can't turn out - but that didn't seem like it could really happen. Do most horses have that on their bridles? Maybe, what's the spanish name and I could Google it for starters?

Tx.

Jul. 6, 2011, 01:26 AM

I always heard it called a chiffany bit.

Slewdledo
Jul. 6, 2011, 02:00 AM
SK, not a tongue tie. Yes, Slew, that is it.

Someone told me it's so that the bit rings can't turn out - but that didn't seem like it could really happen. Do most horses have that on their bridles? Maybe, what's the spanish name and I could Google it for starters?

Tx.

Can't remember off the top of my head, but I'll ask tomorrow morning. All our racing bridles come back to the farm with them, and the guys who have ridden and worked at the track won't ride without them! Then when the hunter/jumper folks come out to look at OTTBs they can't figure out what it is! :lol: The ones I've seen are either thin nylon or leather.

The queen herself:
http://s820.photobucket.com/albums/zz129/pokeydoke1/Oak%20Tree%20at%20Hollywood/?action=view&current=IMG_8006.jpg

And another: http://s820.photobucket.com/albums/zz129/pokeydoke1/Oak%20Tree%20at%20Hollywood/?action=view&current=IMG_7962.jpg#!oZZ54QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2 Fs820.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz129%2Fpokeydoke 1%2FOak%2520Tree%2520at%2520Hollywood%2F%3Faction% 3Dview%26current%3DIMG_7960.jpg

keepthelegend
Jul. 6, 2011, 06:46 AM
The ring bit is called just that - a ring bit. Usually its a snaffle with a ring attached.

Xctrygirl
Jul. 6, 2011, 08:44 AM
It's called a bit strap at the tracks I worked at.

And honestly its purpose is unknown to me. But I have only seen a handful of race bridles without one on it.

~Emily

witherbee
Jul. 6, 2011, 11:24 AM
I always heard it called a chiffany bit.

A Chifney bit is the kind used at the sales to lead the horses and sometimes used at stallion barns - it is not used for riding:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2736951919/

There is a lot of good information on racing bits here as well:
http://rockandracehorses.wordpress.com/2009/02/21/racehorses-bits-commonly-used-in-thoroughbred-horse-racing-sales-breeding/

As shown on there many folks use a Ring bit, and that is what is shown in several photos here - see the photo of Big Brown in particular.

I believe the strap under the chin on all of these bits that do not have cavesons is called the "curb strap" and is there for more leverage during extreme pulling - it is normally loose enough that it does not connect, but can be tightened or can come into contact if needed.

Acertainsmile
Jul. 6, 2011, 12:50 PM
It's called a Dexter Ring Bit, can also be covered in rubber. Used to help stear, and gives a rider more stability on tougher horses.

A chin strap is very common, and is usually nylon or leather, if thats what your talking about.

There are also Prong bits, Regulators, Cage Bits, Haughtons, the Serena Song, Citation, etc. We also use "regular bits" like D's and loose ring snaffles.

beaujolais
Jul. 6, 2011, 05:07 PM
Great ! Thanks all.

Thanks for the article link, Witherbee.

Dahoss
Jul. 6, 2011, 06:49 PM
I quit galloping about eight years ago, but I think I could still give some imput.

The "ring" fits over the lower jaw of a horse which causes a slight pressure to the jaw whenever a horse tries to bear in or out. It is not considered a severe type of bit, therefore, it's not going to stop a real bad runout horse, but, it can help young horses from acquiring the habit or persuade older horses from doing so.