PDA

View Full Version : Rode my first dressage "test" in equitation class on Saturday

paulaedwina
Jul. 4, 2011, 07:40 AM
It was really cool. My equitation trainer's horses have dressage training. I was riding Cody the QH and she set up the ring to regulation size and called a made up test for me. It was just to get my feet wet because I've never actually ridden a test before. It was wicked fun. Here's how it went.

1. First of all, I kept forgetting the cones were the ring boundary so I rode outside the boundary a few times.:lol:
2. The first call she said was working trot track right and I promptly went left (little bit L R challenged).:eek:
3. I wear mild spurs on Cody the QH and when I went to the first canter I guess my mind was in a test as opposed to in a lesson and I stabbed him hard - so intent on that canter depart - that he leaped up in the air with a WTF OW! I had to apologize. :lol:
4. Aside from that it was pretty cool.

So do you get dinged for making faces and grunting trying to keep your QH in canter?

BTW I just subscribed to the Digital Horse for their virtual dressage tests. For me the bird's eye view works really well in learning http://www.thedigitalhorse.com/ I got the resource here at COTH so thanks whoever it was that posted it.

Paula

DutchDressageQueen
Jul. 4, 2011, 08:20 AM
haha! seems like you had fun!

You do not get called out for making faces, but grunting can be taken as talking, and you will get docked points for that. ( It really depends on how loud you are grunting! :P )

coloredhorse
Jul. 4, 2011, 10:07 AM
haha! seems like you had fun!

You do not get called out for making faces, but grunting can be taken as talking, and you will get docked points for that. ( It really depends on how loud you are grunting! :P )

I will note that at least one very kind (and with a good sense of humor!) judge also will not ding you when you blurt out "oh, sh**!" because you went off course by starting to ride the OLD TL Test 3 instead of the new one. :lol::lol:

OP, sounds like a fun lesson with lots of learning opportunities. (I am also L-R challenged, so lots of sympathy there!)

paulaedwina
Jul. 4, 2011, 10:42 AM
Indeed it was excellent fun and invaluable as a lesson. I've been very lucky with my trainers.

I had a blast. Oh, and the grunting was pretty bad. It reminds of those movies where the fighter pilots are pulling serious Gs and grunt, except mine was the effort of keeping a nice used-to-being-a-riding-school-plug of a QH in canter in a 20 meter circle! Don't get me wrong; I love Cody. He's slowly beginning to see the benefits and fun of working hard and moving fast. He perked right up when we were doing the test (I think he read my alertness). I'm probably going to take him to some shows.

Paula

cada931
Jul. 4, 2011, 02:51 PM
Hey, you have a Cody too! Your "test" sounded fun.

paulaedwina
Jul. 4, 2011, 03:55 PM
AND he's a chestnut. He's a QH/App though. I'll try to get some pictures of him.

It was cool to try it there. There are so many intricacies to become aware of. And holy wow remembering the test. Did you have a reader or did you memorize your test?

Paula

baylady7
Jul. 5, 2011, 12:11 PM
Congrats Paula- sounds like you had fun. Remember that as an Appy your horse can win awards from the Appaloosa Horse Club, http://www.appaloosa.com/show/acaap.htm even just for schooling shows.

cada931
Jul. 6, 2011, 09:14 AM
AND he's a chestnut. He's a QH/App though. I'll try to get some pictures of him.

It was cool to try it there. There are so many intricacies to become aware of. And holy wow remembering the test. Did you have a reader or did you memorize your test?

Paula

I memorized the test, mostly by tracing it out on the desk with my finger when I was bored at work, and by "walking/trotting" around my living room - when no-one else was home!

thatmoody
Jul. 6, 2011, 11:16 AM
I memorize but have a caller for in case I forget. I take Topomax, which messes with your short term memory, so I no longer feel bad for "relying" on a memory aid :). I do know my tests, but tend to forget them under stress.

There is nothing like riding a test for finding the holes in your training/riding. The movements come up more quickly, and you don't have the endless time you have when training (oh wait, I'm not quite READY for that transition) to get things that you do. I get into bad habits when I ONLY train. I find that it's good to have a balance of both - time to get things correct, and a little bit of testing to see if I've actually done my work.

paulaedwina
Jul. 6, 2011, 12:43 PM
I'll let Wendy know about the Appy horse club because I think Cody would be a blast in competition. He was so perked up and alert for the "test".

One thing about having a reader was that I couldn't ride ahead. I have a habit of thinking ahead and in the ring that could be a problem because then I wouldn't actually be riding the movement of the moment. I did subscribe to digital horse and love the bird's eye view ride of the tests. They make so much mroe sense to me from that perspective.

Oh and I completely forgot half halts :lol::lol: Poor Cody; everything was a SURPRISE!

Paula