PDA

View Full Version : Classical video

CFFarm
Jun. 30, 2011, 10:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc3VjYuY9rQ&feature=relmfu

Forgive me if this has been discussed, but I don't get out much. Who are these guys? I can't even tell what language that is.

Petstorejunkie
Jun. 30, 2011, 01:28 PM
Just because they dress like Napoleon's posse doesn't make it classical.

pluvinel
Jun. 30, 2011, 01:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc3VjYuY9rQ&feature=relmfu

Forgive me if this has been discussed, but I don't get out much. Who are these guys? I can't even tell what language that is.
The language is German.
It is a DVD promoting the Riding School B├╝ckeburg, showing baroque era dressage.

kinnip
Jun. 30, 2011, 01:58 PM
I love a nice terre a terre.

Lost_at_C
Jun. 30, 2011, 02:04 PM
Just because they dress like Napoleon's posse doesn't make it classical. :lol::lol::lol:

For the first time ever I want to steal a quote and make it my sig line!

IMO, it may show baroque era dressage but it doesn't show it well.

Don Raphaelo Rollkurista
Jul. 1, 2011, 06:47 AM
This is great work. Bravo!

alicen
Jul. 1, 2011, 09:43 AM
I finally identified what it is that I love about work in-hand: the horse appears to be concentrating more on himself rather than the ever present influence of the rider.

Would all those who dismiss this work so readily, care to elaborate on what would make it classical?

Lost_at_C
Jul. 1, 2011, 10:19 AM
Let me clarify my earlier post if I may. On reflection, and second viewing, I am not so critical of the video as I first was. I got hung up on a few specific clips that I felt showed a disregard for underlying principles, and I felt disinclined to appreciate the rest. Yes, some of it is very pleasant, but other parts are very lacking IMO. I am willing to admit that my mood yesterday was unforgiving, and I certainly didn't intend to come across as negatively as I probably sounded!

In fact I didn't mean to "dismiss" anything really, except the use of the word Classical. I genuinely feel it's a meaningless term from both a historical viewpoint and in contemporary usage. There was a time when I would have proudly called myself a classically-trained dressage rider, but that was back in the late 80s and the context was oh-so-different from today. It bugs me. I have no idea what to call myself. Senile, maybe.

alicen
Jul. 1, 2011, 10:27 AM
There was a time when I would have proudly called myself a classically-trained dressage rider, but that was back in the late 80s and the context was oh-so-different from today. It bugs me. I have no idea what to call myself. Senile, maybe.

"A rose by any other name...... ."

If you ride well a horse doesn't care what you call yourself.

Petstorejunkie
Jul. 1, 2011, 12:50 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

For the first time ever I want to steal a quote and make it my sig line!

IMO, it may show baroque era dressage but it doesn't show it well.
Take it :)

CFFarm
Jul. 1, 2011, 01:13 PM
The language is German.
It is a DVD promoting the Riding School B├╝ckeburg, showing baroque era dressage.

Thank you. I thought German (the de in the address) but I've never heard of the school. I thought there was some nice in hand work (nothing is perfect, of course) but I liked it.