PDA

View Full Version : Dressage boot poll

swgarasu
Jun. 30, 2011, 10:30 AM
Looking at new boots- just wondering what people like and why- thinking about Cavallo, Konig, Petrie, or Sergio Grassio. I want something that will last a long time and be comfortable (once broken in).

Sandy M
Jun. 30, 2011, 10:54 AM
My barely broken in show boots are Petrie (ONLY used for shows, ergo still not completely broken in), but my "everyday" and "riding young horse so if I get hurt I won't care if they cut them off" boots are $188 (when new) Effinghams that have to be at least 20 years old. They still look pretty good, too, and until baby is more reliable, they double as my show boots. Whether current-day workmanship is as good, or whether Effinghams are even still available, I have no idea. LOL

dwblover
Jun. 30, 2011, 12:23 PM
I love Petries, but you must realize they will never be totally broken in. They are STIFF boots but that is why I like them. But I wear mine several hours a day and I never have any blisters or anything, they are comfy to me but I'm sure a non-dressage rider would think I'm nuts, LOL!

swgarasu
Jun. 30, 2011, 02:20 PM
My barely broken in show boots are Petrie (ONLY used for shows, ergo still not completely broken in), but my "everyday" and "riding young horse so if I get hurt I won't care if they cut them off" boots are $188 (when new) Effinghams that have to be at least 20 years old. They still look pretty good, too, and until baby is more reliable, they double as my show boots. Whether current-day workmanship is as good, or whether Effinghams are even still available, I have no idea. LOL

I had some Effinghams, bought about 18 years ago- loved them, then they got ruined when my friend got in a car wreck (they were in her trunk). I don't think they make them anymore, though you can still find some once in a while.
I still remember how good they smelled when I got them. :)

Velvet
Jun. 30, 2011, 03:23 PM
None of the above. Why didn't you have an "other" selection?

I like custom boots: Vogel, Dehner, etc.

thedolce
Jun. 30, 2011, 03:30 PM
The problem is that all these boots have "low" and "high" lines. A cheaper model Konig is going to be not as good as the high line Cavallo and vice-versa. I have both and they are both terrific boots.

Sandy M
Jun. 30, 2011, 03:36 PM
Nover like Vogels, but LUUUUVED my Dehners. Can't afford 'em any more. My semi-custom Petrie field boots (injured arch) with dressage stiffener were $350 with a discount coupon. About the most I could/can afford these days. I think I got a quote a couple years ago of about $650-$750 for Dehner field boots with dressage stiffener, and they're probably more now. Sigh.

Velvet
Jun. 30, 2011, 03:42 PM
Yep, I think Vogel and Dehners are all around $1000 for anything I'd like. :)

netg
Jun. 30, 2011, 04:09 PM
Yep, I think Vogel and Dehners are all around $1000 for anything I'd like. :)

I wish that was all my Vogels cost...

Bogey2
Jun. 30, 2011, 04:10 PM
Vogels for me...I have a big foot and skinny ankles so need the custom. I tried semi-custom a couple of times with no luck. Mine are 1100 a pair but I do get my monies worth with them.

swgarasu
Jun. 30, 2011, 04:20 PM

Because those 4 are the ones I am leaning toward and trying to decide between. :) As you noticed you can add your own preferences in the comments, I'm glad to hear them.

AllWeatherGal
Jun. 30, 2011, 04:20 PM
Dehners for me. Nothing off the shelf would fit my wide feet and short legs.

swgarasu
Jun. 30, 2011, 04:22 PM
The problem is that all these boots have "low" and "high" lines. A cheaper model Konig is going to be not as good as the high line Cavallo and vice-versa. I have both and they are both terrific boots.

How do you know which are the low and high lines? I am guessing price, but this is more of a random pair-for-sale kind of thing as opposed to a "sky's the limit, I can get whatever I want."

I can tell on the Petries, but for the Cavallos and Konigs I am less sure.

Manni01
Jun. 30, 2011, 04:27 PM
How do you know which are the low and high lines? I am guessing price, but this is more of a random pair-for-sale kind of thing as opposed to a "sky's the limit, I can get whatever I want."

I can tell on the Petries, but for the Cavallos and Konigs I am less sure.

The Konigs Gran Geste are the high line. I don´t know if they are available in the US but I have had those all my life. Usually if worn for 4 hours a Day they last at least 5 years, which I think is ok.
But I´m getting older and so I switched to Ariat Monaco shoes and the chaps from Konig. IMO this is more comfortable and more affordable......

Equi88
Jun. 30, 2011, 05:11 PM
Any of the 4 boots mentioned can be made Custom. For my Petrie's, they used a standart foot (shoe) and custom made the shaft for only $50 more!!

scubed
Jun. 30, 2011, 05:52 PM
Love my Dehners. Did not like Vogels and Petries I tried. Used to have Effinghams and loved them too. Like, but don't love Cavallo's I have tried. Really loved a friend's Sergio Grassos I tried on. Have never tried Konig

jcotton
Jun. 30, 2011, 06:37 PM
Been there did that with Cavallo, Konig and Petrie. And had some dehner's, too.
I absolutely love my Sergio Grasso's. I have two pair, my buttery soft black ones for showing and my brown ones for daily use. i have the San Remo custom with zippers.

Sandy M
Jun. 30, 2011, 07:12 PM
Any of the 4 boots mentioned can be made Custom. For my Petrie's, they used a standart foot (shoe) and custom made the shaft for only $50 more!!

Yes, that's how mine are. The original price was $399 + $50, and I had a coupon, so they ended up costing me $350. Had to send 'em back twice, but they did it without complaint until they got 'em right (through Dressage Extensions). I find the feet tend to run big in the Petries, i.e., my regular 'size' ended up too big, so I had to get a size smaller.

NorCalDressage
Jun. 30, 2011, 08:57 PM
I've had semi-custom Petrie's and custom Konigs.

I really like the look of the Sergio Grasso though! I may go with that next.

Liked the Konigs better than the Petrie's

Cowgirl
Jul. 1, 2011, 03:07 AM
I have an 11 year old pair of Konig Ladies that I still wear every day. I have custom Konig Sirs that I absolutely HATE because they are too thick and stiff. My favorite boots at the moment are Cavallo Grand Prix Plus (with the zipper) because they are soft (but the zipper sucks on them). I like being able to feel my horse.

2DogsFarm
Jul. 1, 2011, 06:00 AM

^
THIS

I did not vote for the same reason.The difference in price is not that huge and your boots will feel like bedroom slippers from Day One.

My dress boots are Vogels, now over 20yrs old and have been customized 2X - add gussets then add back zips.
They are for shows/clinics only but still look brand new when I clean & shine them up.

I have Dehner paddocks and am on my 3rd pair but they are the workhorses and get almost daily wear, including subbing for winter footwear.
Each pair has lasted near 10 years. - current pair is circa 2002 and still going strong, not even resoled yet.

Sandy M
Jul. 1, 2011, 10:21 AM
^
THIS

I did not vote for the same reason.The difference in price is not that huge and your boots will feel like bedroom slippers from Day One.

My dress boots are Vogels, now over 20yrs old and have been customized 2X - add gussets then add back zips.
They are for shows/clinics only but still look brand new when I clean & shine them up.

I have Dehner paddocks and am on my 3rd pair but they are the workhorses and get almost daily wear, including subbing for winter footwear.
Each pair has lasted near 10 years. - current pair is circa 2002 and still going strong, not even resoled yet.

Uh...my Effinghams have lasted well over 20 years ($188 new), and are still going strong and look good. Now, I absolutely agree about the quality and fit of custom Dehner or Vogels, and had I the cash, I would order another pair, but my present semi-custom Petrie show boots cost $350 with a small discount (from $430): That is a far cry from the close to $1,000 that similar boots would cost custom, so I can't agree that "the difference in price is not that huge."

Elegante E
Jul. 3, 2011, 12:06 AM
Have to try boots on to see if they fit your foot. So far, I'm a Konig fan though it's the brand that was available at local stores. First pair is extra stiff and are a bit too tall. Very well made but stiffer than I would buy again. Took a while to break in.

Konig favorits are cheaper and not as high quality as other models but come with a zipper. The difference is seen mostly in the foot as the leather is a cheaper split piece which is visible. The leg is softer leather so not very stiff and they have rubber soles.

As the prices go up, you get into better quality leather, stiffer shafts and hand sewing.

If you can try boots on to see if the footbeds fit you, think about ordering from abroad. The exchange rate is pretty favorable and you won't pay the premium that American shops seem to have. One can save several hundred dollars that way. Can also get semi custom in different brands without paying huge amounts (easy to change shaft height or width).

Zoomd
Jul. 3, 2011, 10:31 AM
Just a note about the Sergios, I dropped the nearly $1000 for the San Remo dress boot last fall and was very disappointed. They felt great when I tried them in store, but the first time I wore them, in a lesson to work on break in, I had bleeding blisters after about 45 minutes of ride time (Not walking). After healing a while, I pulled them out again to work on it, figuring blisters from new boots wasn't unusual and got horrible blisters again. Got them out for third time, and noticed that the leather tab below the zipper was peeling off at the top, even though I wasn't even wearing spurs when I wore them. Took them back to Dover and after trying a few different ones ended up with the Ariat Maestro Pro dressage boot. No blisters from day 1, and love the stiff shaft. Watch out for the Sergios!

allison finch
Jul. 4, 2011, 12:09 AM
had Dehners, next pair were Vogels which didn't impress me, went back to Dehners. I'm thinking about ordering a pair of "fun" boots from this company in South America

http://www.lacasadelasbotas.com.ar/

swgarasu
Jul. 7, 2011, 01:55 PM
Thanks again for the replies all- very helpful.

thatsnotme
Jul. 8, 2011, 10:27 AM
I have custom Cavallos (the high end ones) that I lucked into on ebay. They are my exact measurements and the lady didn't like them. The soles were even like new (and I got them for next to nothing!!!). I bought them in 2001 and ride in them every ride, every day, 1-3 rides a day. I also show in them. I have had the zippers replaced once, but other than that they still look new and have been comfy from day 1.