PDA

View Full Version : Need saddle for TB

wishnwell
Jun. 29, 2011, 10:00 PM
I'm hoping to get a bit of feedback in my search for a saddle....I'm looking used. We have to fit our recently OTTB who has prominent withers, large sloping shoulder and short back. Possibly a cutback pommel. We are working with a chiropractor but want to do some searching myself. The saddle needs to fit the rider as well, 5'6", longer legs, has a tendency to lean forward so nothing that will contribute to making her lean forward, I'm thinking not too deep. Something that will help get a good position, Med knee rolls. Tried an Albion, pushed her too far forward. Anything come to mind? I am buying used with a not so big budget
I was looking at Passier, and saw a Dominus that looked like it might work. I just don't know enough about Dressage saddles to know where to begin.

Thank you

Lolliver
Jun. 29, 2011, 11:25 PM
My DD's TB sounds a lot like yours, and she rides in a Passier Nicole Grand Gilbert. I know of number of TBs that go in this saddle, so you might want to take a look?

Kaelurus
Jun. 29, 2011, 11:40 PM
I have a similarly built TB, and I ride him in a Verhan. Great fit for both of us, and the saddle maker is conveniently local to me, for adjustments. They aren't especially common, but you can find them used, and they are a fantastic saddle.

GallantGesture
Jun. 30, 2011, 11:05 AM
I have a similar ottb and I'm 5'6" with long legs. After about 6 weeks of saddle fit he!! with my boy, we ended up with a Collegiate Levanto. It has a medium tree, but it seems to run a bit narrower than your average medium. I use the Fleeceworks sheepskin half pad with memory foam in front to get the balance just right since my boy is a little hollow on the sides of his withers still. Love the saddle, it makes a good position effortless, and they aren't too expensive!

dwblover
Jun. 30, 2011, 12:21 PM
Kieffer, Kieffer, Kieffer! Specifically the Wein DL Professional

KrazyTBMare
Jun. 30, 2011, 01:29 PM
I tried like 5-6 different saddles before trying my Amerigo. I ended up with my Amerigo Cortina. It fits my mare like a glove. Shes 16.2 if you use a stick on her withers but shes only 16 at her back. Not only are they tall withers, they are long, and she needed a saddle that would accomidate that. This one did it. I am actually having it sell it as it doesnt fit my 4 y/o and I had to buy a semi custom for him. But Ann @ Equestrian Imports has lots of saddles, new and used, on her website and usually a great discription for the type of horse/fit that each saddle is best for.

wishnwell
Jun. 30, 2011, 06:26 PM
I'm looking at a Dominus right now and if I have it right, they were made by Peter Menet who now makes Amerigo. Anyone ride in a Dominus?

vanraf
Jun. 30, 2011, 06:58 PM
I'm looking at a Dominus right now and if I have it right, they were made by Peter Menet who now makes Amerigo. Anyone ride in a Dominus?

I ride in a Dominus jump saddle - love it :)

One thing worth noting about the Dominus and Amerigo's I've sat in - the seats feel like they ride a little tight to me, especially if I was worried about tipping forward I'd take that into account... Just personal preference, though - I'd say try a 17.5 or 18" for the rider as described.

The panles on the Amerigo/Dominus saddles I've tried haven't fit my TB well but he needs flatter panels. From what you've described, it sounds like the Dominus panels (which are more curved) would be just fine for yours :)

myvanya
Jul. 1, 2011, 04:23 PM
I had my similarly built (OT Appendix QH) guy in a Cliff Barnsby Richard Davison until recently (he outgrew it after a year of major muscling). It was great for me as I am taller and also ride hunter jumper and I loved it. It fit him very well until about a month ago- over the winter he really muscled up. I had a #4 tree.

I just got a Roosli wide tree and it is fabulous. so a couple more you may try if you can find them. Jingles for your search :)

Hampton Bay
Jul. 1, 2011, 10:55 PM
If tipping forward is an issue, she's not going to like Passier most likely. They tend to tip riders more forward if that's already a tendency. it's just how the trees on them fit the shape of pelvic floor that's responsible for the tendency to tip forward. The OLD Passiers are OK in the right size, sometimes, but I've not found any of the new ones I can ride in.

I did have a Kieffer I liked a lot though, and they are generally a good fit for those who tip forward. Get the size 1 seat, as they fit large. The size 2 was way too big for me, and I usually need an 18" to fit my long legs.

Try to avoid Bates/Wintec/Collegiate. They not only don't fit the high-withered ones very well in general, but the tree points are prone to cracking and the company has horrendous customer service. It took me a year to get mine back, and I had to send it to someone on my own dime to put the panels back on straight instead of 3/4" off center.

KrazyTBMare
Jul. 2, 2011, 01:25 AM
I personally do not have to problem tipping forward in my Amerigo. Actually when I rode in it for the first time I actually felt like a "real" dressage rider as my balance was perfectly centered. I also like that it allows for more bend in the hip and knee due to how the flaps and stirrup bars are positioned. Lemme know if she may be interested in mine. ;)

The Hobbit
Jul. 2, 2011, 01:32 AM
My palomino WB had similar issues; higher withers, big shoulder, but he sort of dipped behind the shoulder. I ended up getting a used Prestige D1. I absolutely love this saddle but good god are they pricey.:eek: still, it might be worth looking at if you can find a used one. Just a thought. Good luck on your search!:)

tempichange
Jul. 2, 2011, 10:03 AM
County.

wishnwell
Jul. 2, 2011, 10:49 AM
I have to go used, and even at that my price range is not too high unfortunately. Max is $1000. My Chiropractor likes the Passier for the horse...has more the cutback pommel she feels will do the trick. I just would at least like to try one, and no one has one right now to try. I'm not in a hurry but it would be nice to find something in the next month or so. I found some old Dominus. I know Peter Menet made them before making the Amerigo. But I hear some Dominus are NOT his....not sure how to tell the difference.

Blackberry Farm
Jul. 2, 2011, 05:30 PM
I had a TB with shark fin withers- holy cow withers. :eek: she also had a VERY large sloping shoulder. The gal I bought her from rode her in a kieffer. It did not fit me well. I wanted a cc saddle, as well as a dressage saddle- for eventing.
You have done your homework. The Dominus was made by Peter Menet. The leather is not as buttery soft as the Amerigo, but they are very well built. I bought a Dominus close contact.
Also, after speaking with a gal at Trumbull mtn, I found an older Millers Klimke, in super condition. It fit her, and me, very well.
I did not have luck with cutbacks, though it seemed logical. i put tons on her, no luck. The Keiffer had been a cutback, and it worked. None of the others did. - I was hoping the GG would.
Just wanted to share my experiences. All of ours are not the same, of course. Still, it can be very frustrating shopping for this build. - I do love my tb's!!

Hampton Bay
Jul. 2, 2011, 09:54 PM
Kieffers and Passiers with rear gussets tend to fit very similarly IME.

Megsabelle
Jul. 3, 2011, 07:40 AM
My TB mare is shaped similarly to how you described this horse, and I also had a tendency to perch and lean forward (thanks to 20+ years in hunterjumperland). I had a Stubben Scandica that worked really, really well until she muscled out of it (can't adjust the tree, sadly). Now we are in a Niedersuss Symphonie. I love them both and they both fit her well and since they don't really lock the rider in position, they allowed me to find my seat without pitching me forward. You can find them used for under $1000, no problem!

Good luck!

Easy Choice
Jul. 4, 2011, 09:04 AM
Black Country Eden, has curved tree - perfect for TBs. Just bought one on eBay, can't wait to get it. I've been looking forever and tried many The BC Eden is recommended all over the Internet. I have a BC AP and need a riser pad with it - has a straight tree, very comfy tho. Will update the fit when the Eden arrives.

subk
Jul. 4, 2011, 11:21 PM
I'll start by saying the following is a generalization, but more true for older/used saddles. Look for a saddle from a country that produces a more TB type sport horse, ie England, as opposed to a saddle from a country that has more WB type sport horses, ei Germany.

There are exceptions--I have a Passier Grand Gilbert that has done well for several TBs, but if I was stuck going through a selection of used saddles it's a good thing to keep in mind...

JB
Jul. 5, 2011, 07:52 AM
Is the back flat or curvy front to back? If on the curvier side, I'd for sure try to find an Amerigo to see how that works.

TXnGA
Jul. 5, 2011, 04:50 PM
Hi,

I sent you a private message. Would recommend taking a look at the Amerigo saddles Fit my TB who had prominate withers. He sticked 17 hh at the whither but was really 16.2 on his back. fit him like a glove, great to ride in, and moved like a dream in it.

besthorsever
Jul. 7, 2011, 07:42 PM
I have a horse with similar conformation. The Passier Nicole/Grand Gilbert with rear gussets and a thinline sheepskin half pad worked well. But I have to agree with those suggesting an Amerigo. After trying one out on my horse, I bit the bullet and purchased one. I LOVE it and don't regret the expense at all. Fits the horse really well (no sheepskin needed) and rides like a dream. Doesn't lock you in..just gives such a feeling of balance and ease of position. There are different models for different conformations. I would guess the regular dressage (the model I bought) or a cortina would work for your horse. Maybe you can find a good deal on a used one or contact the Dominus compay to find out how similar it is to the Amerigos.

BetterOffRed
Jul. 9, 2011, 03:19 PM
After speaking with my saddlefitter, I learned why my Prestige and Pessoa saddles fit my horse so well, the A-frame of the tree fits well on horses like some WBs and TBs that have prominent whithers and shoulders that flare out. So I guess I would recommend the Prestige, Pessoa or the Amerigo as well.

wishnwell
Jul. 9, 2011, 04:08 PM
Well, we just tried a Courbette. Not what I thought we were going to look at but it fit pretty well. Gonna have it looked at by the fitter herself to confirm. I know it's not top of the line, but overall it's in good condition other than one flaw I'm going to ask about but it fits horse and rider well.
I'm not finding out a whole lot on the model itself, its a Cresent. I don't know even know what the going rate is for this saddle used. I don't think they make them anymore either but not sure how old it is. Feedback??

Hampton Bay
Jul. 9, 2011, 06:35 PM
I'm not familiar with that model, but the Courbette jumping saddle I rode in was very nicely made. Fabulously balanced, good leather, and a nice price.

arabiansrock
Jul. 10, 2011, 01:30 AM
wishingwell, are you sure the courbette you are looking at isn'ta "Cresta" not crescent?

if it is the cresta, it is their lower (but not lowest) model, and is discountinued now. It has the e-motion tree which supposedly "flexes" to fit all backs. IN reality it fits medium +/-. doesn't fit narrow, doesn't fit wide. Check it real well to make sure the panels are straight, and the tree doesn't appear crooked.

If you just want this for an inbetween saddle, it may work for you, but do check the shoulder fit carefully, while someone is in the saddle as the tree flexes and "settles" into place when someone is mounted.

mew
Jul. 11, 2011, 09:39 PM
Kieffer, Kieffer, Kieffer! Specifically the Wein DL Professional

Second this!! I have two tb's one goes in the old german (over girth and all) Keiffer wien and I love it more than my schlesse my other one goes in.

lifesabeach
Jul. 19, 2011, 01:07 PM
Hi,
I have an Albion Original Comfort 17" with a med/wide tree. Very comfy. I will let it go for $500.

I also have 2 like new Amerigos.

Email for pics
livesabeach101@yahoo.com