PDA

View Full Version : Who are the GREAT Farriers in GA?

GraceLikeRain
Jun. 29, 2011, 12:15 PM
If someone moved to GA (Commerce/Monroe/Watkinsville/Elberton/Madison area) and said they needed a really phenomenal farrier to trim their horse, who would you recommend and why?

EqTrainer
Jun. 29, 2011, 12:21 PM
Contact Mapleshade. She just moved there, and has had to make some quick switches!

Georgiatrails
Jun. 29, 2011, 03:37 PM
Penny Dunbar is AMAZING. She's a barefoot farrier and is so sweet, very soft and gentle with the horses. She's been trimming my horses for almost 4 years now with never an issue! If you want her number, email me and I'll be glad to give it to you!

Oh yea and she's in Gillsville which is right outside of Commerce!

bits619
Jun. 29, 2011, 06:51 PM
I've heard great things about Wayne Nunn, based around Athens, but seems to have a widespread clientele. I don't own a horse personally but know of a few clients of his who give very positive recommendations.
You can find his (and others) contact information here

http://www.polocenter.com/farrier/farrierusga.htm

War Admiral
Jun. 29, 2011, 08:09 PM
I've heard great things about Wayne Nunn, based around Athens, but seems to have a widespread clientele. I don't own a horse personally but know of a few clients of his who give very positive recommendations.
You can find his (and others) contact information here

http://www.polocenter.com/farrier/farrierusga.htm

Wayne's about the best of a bad lot in that area. Good luck getting him to come out, though, unless you are at a boarding barn that is already on his schedule (and even then... :rolleyes:). That part of GA needs good farriers desperately - there are really only two competent ones, Wayne and the high-end show barn guy (name escapes me; any Athenian will know) who charges $450 a set and won't come out at all if you don't have level concrete to stand the horse on. :rolleyes:

It remains absolutely amazing to me that these guys get away w/ treating customers as they do. (I have literally lost jobs waiting for one or the other of them to show up when they said they would after 15 phone calls.) But the sad fact is, neither one of 'em NEEDS your business; they're overworked as it is, b/c they're the only realistic games in town, and apart from all the countless boarding barns, they split UGA's endless herds between them too.

Can you tell I'm glad to be out of the farrier hell that is Athens, Georgia? :lol:

GraceLikeRain
Jun. 29, 2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, and I definitely realize that there are very few quality farriers in the area.

To be a bit more specific, I am looking more for a farrier who specializes in trimming or at least has a fair number of barefoot clients. I'm at a cross road where I need to determine whether a horse needs to go back to front shoes. Consequently, I would love to find someone who has a keen eye and is fastidious about balancing a foot so we can make a fair assessment about whether or not it is realistic to continue down the barefoot path.

kinnip
Jun. 29, 2011, 10:27 PM
Hahaha! Ga farriers! :no: There are very few good ones, and as has been indicated, they are booked.
Do contact MapleShade. She seems to be pretty happy with hers. I wish he drove to W. GA. I appear to be screwed over here.

War Admiral
Jun. 30, 2011, 07:03 AM
OK, well the good news for you, OP, is that Pete Ramey does come to Athens - or at least he did when I lived there - he did some at my barn and some at a dressage barn. I'm not a BF person (though my present horse is barefoot! :)) but I was impressed. Contact him.

Edit (now that I've woken up a bit more!) to add that I just remembered I had Wayne do a mare who was barefoot and I never had any issues w/ the quality of his trim.

EqTrainer
Jun. 30, 2011, 07:19 AM
The guy who is doing Mapleshades work now is her old guy from Athens, Chad Someone, if that helps. She is very happy. And doing her barefoot horses herself, I think ;)

Daydream Believer
Jun. 30, 2011, 07:26 AM
If Pete comes to your area, definitely look him up. He's a very good trimmer and he can keep your horse comfortable barefoot if that is what you want. He is one person I learned a lot from when I was training.

Tom Bloomer
Jun. 30, 2011, 07:28 AM
http://www.georgiafarriers.org/

GraceLikeRain
Jun. 30, 2011, 11:00 AM
You guys are so awesome. I knew I could count on COTH to provide some really viable options. I will look into these farriers and the handful of suggestions I received via PM.

I know that people rarely like to caution against certain farriers but if anyone wants to PM me about people to steer clear from I would really appreciate it (knowing who is bad can be just as helpful as knowing who is good).

Georgiatrails
Jun. 30, 2011, 04:20 PM
Again, Penny is awesome. She's got a lot of high end clients as well in Atlanta and is ALWAYS on time, very reliable. She's helped several peoples horses I know of back from very lame issues. My mare had shoes on when I first got her and she helped me thru the barefoot process and never had an issue with my mare. She trims several horses at my barn as well. GOod luck, I know how frustrating it is trying to find a good farrier, and one that will respond back to you and show up on time!!

OveroHunter
Jun. 30, 2011, 05:26 PM
Travis Stratton does a great job and is pretty reasonable. He's in the Watkinsville/Madison area. PM me if you want his info.

RunForIt
Jun. 30, 2011, 06:46 PM
Wayne Nunn is great as is Chris Brooker - I use Chris as Wayne doesn't come quite as far into Newton County as I live, but he has shod my gelding for me at Mary Bess Sigman's farm and is currently shoeing my mare at Kerry Tracey's farm.

I have used Chris Brooker for the past 10 years and have been VERY happy with his work. I believe Chris goes over that way. PM me for both men's contact info. :cool:

Va2Ga
Jun. 30, 2011, 07:47 PM
When I lived in Athens my farrier came from SC if that tells you anything!

War Admiral
Jun. 30, 2011, 07:51 PM
Oh yeah, I haven't lived there for a while, I forgot about Chris Brooker. He'd be a good option too. But again, VERY busy.

FLeckenAwesome
Jun. 30, 2011, 10:40 PM
My favorite is Kip Vickers....

He's amazing, comes out ALL the time when Fleck pulls a shoe, and I need it back on quick. He has gotten Fleck's feet looking amazing. And Roany pony, who foundered years ago and has foot issues, has been sound and happy!

THE BEST!!! I have used some of the others mentioned and still prefer Kip.

elsberrymtn
Sep. 20, 2013, 01:18 PM
We've been using Johnny from J&J Farrier Services for years—he's dependable and knows how to get the job done right.

Here's their website for more info:
http://www.jandjfarrier.com

rabicon
Sep. 20, 2013, 03:10 PM
Stan Davis is amazing. He goes back to clinics yearly and he is good friends with the UGA farriers and sometimes goes to the classes for them to talk to the students when needed. He is always educating himself about the newest thing and is great for corrective work. There are a lot of bad farriers around this area. You have to be careful. Stan also works with a vet nearby and routinely speaks with him on cases and goes and studies xrays with him. He saved my guy from a slight rotation From an injury. An X-ray, corrective work and in a month the xrays looked beautiful like he never had an issue at all. Does a lot of foundering horses in the area as well.

Eta he is very busy but he tries to schedule people in areas when he is out that way. Luckily I live 5 minutes from him lol and our family has became good friends with him. Really a nice guy but busy. He will trim and go barefoot if you'd like. My friend use to use a barefoot guy, can't remember his name and he was not good. Finally got her to use Stan and the difference was night and day. Sad thing is years of bad trims and confo the horse developed navicular but Stan worked with them barefoot until it couldn't be helped and has put wedges on him and horse is doing great now.