PDA

View Full Version : Chaps on the inside of jeans?

peekarocks
Jun. 29, 2011, 06:43 AM
I currently work as an exercise rider at a steeplechase farm in Maryland - I ride in either paddock boots and halfchaps or leggings, but when I go to the track I see exercise riders wearing their chaps under their jeans. What's the reason for it?

keepthelegend
Jun. 29, 2011, 07:08 AM
Are you sure they are actual chaps and not just a wrap to act as a leg protector?

Acertainsmile
Jun. 29, 2011, 08:46 AM
I galloped horses mostly in Md for 30 yrs and have never seen anyone do that! Unless it's a new trend, it may be elastic leggings (like the jocks wear) under the jeans.

Seems chaps would be a wee bit uncomfortable worn under your clothes! :)

Right on Target
Jun. 29, 2011, 09:11 AM
I don't ride at the track, but on a few occassions I've put my half chaps under my jeans to prevent leg rubs. My jeans are too bulky at the bottom to fit under the half chaps.

I found no particular discomfort from wearing half chaps right against my skin. I do wear long socks under them though.

I think they're more comfortable than elastic socks.

Timex
Jun. 29, 2011, 10:03 AM
I've never seen that, I myself wear leggings and pant straps to avoid rubs when I'm galloping.

Blinkers On
Jun. 29, 2011, 04:17 PM
Tht would just be silliness...
I wear tube socks and leggings under my pants and chaps on top. I can't imagine "chaps" under my pants...

Blinkers On
Jun. 29, 2011, 04:18 PM
I galloped horses mostly in Md for 30 yrs and have never seen anyone do that! Unless it's a new trend, it may be elastic leggings (like the jocks wear) under the jeans.

Seems chaps would be a wee bit uncomfortable worn under your clothes! :)

Maybe chaps are the only clothes.. it'd be a BIG hit with the co workers....

Flypony
Jun. 29, 2011, 05:29 PM
I wear half chaps under my jeans with long socks. Lots of people do it here. half chaps over jeans looks goofy.

Blinkers On
Jun. 29, 2011, 07:21 PM
Yikes...and no thanks

*Liz*
Jun. 29, 2011, 08:44 PM
I wear half chaps under my jeans with long socks. Lots of people do it here. half chaps over jeans looks goofy.

Don't come to hunter/jumper world ;) Half-chaps over jeans are all the rage these days... I'll stick to my tall boots.

OP, I'm in your boat, and never thought anyone would do that. Apparently it just depends on what neck of the woods you're riding in as to what styles are considered trendy vs goofy ;)

jengersnap
Jun. 30, 2011, 08:33 AM
Hear something new every day indeed. Hubby should be wearing half chaps over his galloping boots but I can't seem to get him to do it. He does his calves up in ace bandages or wraps under his jeans instead lol

Acertainsmile
Jun. 30, 2011, 01:26 PM
You rarely ever see new trends in the gallop world, other than silly pom poms on helmets, etc.

Blinkers On
Jun. 30, 2011, 04:10 PM
Eww, I hate the pom poms...

olympicdreams04
Jul. 1, 2011, 01:49 PM
I have galloped in MD, PA, DE, NY, OH, SC, FL, and currently in KY and have seen all kinds of trends, fads, and styles at every track. Personally, the choice depends on who I work for and in what kind of weather I am working. Since March I have been sporting the 'half chaps under jeans' look for two reasons: it is HOT and I have been working for an illustrious trainer who prefers all of his riders to look more or less then same including clean, well-fitting jeans and shirts, clean, polished leather boots, and jean legs strapped or pinned down so that they do not ride up and look silly. This trainer all but outlaws full chaps as he feels that they are too heavy. I have worked for him several times over the past five years and new riders often are a little shocked with his preferences and sometimes don't stick around very long because of them, but if you're at the top of the industry, you're allowed to be picky and particular. When I pony, I wear full chaps. In the winter, breaking babies, I wear full chaps. When I started galloping I wore half chaps OVER jeans because I was coming from the hunter/jumper/eventing world and that was par for the course. It was several years before I invested in a pair of custom full chaps, but they are totally forth it for cold/wet weather. Anyway, it is not as uncommon as you might think and the Ariat full-leather chaps that I wear over my Ariat boots are very comfortable and I don't get rubs anywhere!

Xctrygirl
Jul. 1, 2011, 03:32 PM
YOu all will laugh but what worked amazingly for me was:

thick crew socks
Ace brand Neoprene knee support, with the hole for the patela
and then elastics that stopped right below the knee wrap hole.

Whole leg support, no rubs and easy to adjust between sets as needed.

~Em

Blinkers On
Jul. 1, 2011, 05:38 PM
I'm not laughing. I just am wondering if the definition of half chaps are different in different areas.
Like I think I said, I wear long socks, ace shin splint "bandages/support" and lately am a chap wearer as well tho not always.. BUT lately with babies and suck I want the added stickiness chaps add;). My legs are still and I tend to ride kinda short. AND Inspite of my efforts, I did manage to burn my one leg this week Not bad, but it's there..
I currently work for a Hall of Fame trainer. One of MANY(six to be exact) I have worked for. People here just want neat and tidy. Professional. I worked for Mandella and had a longsleeved button up shirt that flopped in the wind and he just asked me to button it up and tuck it in so it wasn't waving in the wind. Sure, no problem. I never wore it again.
Mandella and Drysdale are about as "anal retentive" as I've come across and they aren't demanding what you wear to gallop as far as chaps. BUT when I worked for Carla Gaines, she wants chaps off for works. Galloping is not an issue, but chaps off for speed.

olympicdreams04
Jul. 1, 2011, 10:45 PM
I have been working for Steve Asmussen on and off for a few years and throughout out, it has pretty much always just been a rule that full chaps are a no-no. They are considered too heavy for works and galloping. Similar things like stand up while jogging all the time (no posting), not turning in coming off the track, taking the reins off the bridle and the straps out of the keepers at the end of the day are all par for the course but he is great to work for and obviously has ridiculously nice horses. Other than no full chaps, as long as your boots and clothes are clean and neat, no restrictions.

JER
Jul. 2, 2011, 03:06 AM
That would just be silliness...

Crazy-ass is more like it.

:)

Blinkers On
Jul. 2, 2011, 06:42 PM