PDA

View Full Version : slight incontenence in stretchy trot-help!

thatsnotme
Jun. 28, 2011, 09:58 PM
Very touchy subject matter. If you're easily offended, look away.
So, I'm mid 40's, never have experienced incontinence at all. I hear women talk about it when they sneeze, etc. Well, its happening to me (every ride for the last 2 weeks) only at the stretchy trot. How weird is that?? Doesn't matter where in my ride I throw in the stretch, so it's not always the end of my ride. My horse does get very 'big' during the stretch. It's her happy place so her stride really opens up and her shoulders really lift as she stretches down. Could it be something I'm doing with my stomach muscles? It happens a tiny bit in every 'up' of the posting stride.
Obviously, I'll be seeing a Dr if it continues or starts happening in other areas of my life, but I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with this under saddle. Ideas?

Gayla
Jun. 28, 2011, 10:05 PM
You are getting older...:lol::lol::lol:

Over on the eventing forum this came up as many of he women have this happen when they go over jumps. They suggested using a tampon. I tried it and it works. I suppose it must shift things or support things...I don't know but it returns me to 20 something bladder control. Like you this is not happening all the time but if I have a cough....:eek:

MyssMyst
Jun. 28, 2011, 11:09 PM
Have you tried kegels?

Sunsets
Jun. 28, 2011, 11:23 PM
Friend of mine had this issue when she fell during hockey games. She swore by cold medicine. Two tablets of anything containing pseudephedrine before a game, and she was fine.

alicen
Jun. 29, 2011, 06:30 AM
Oops! From the thread title I thought you were talking about the horse.

merrygoround
Jun. 29, 2011, 06:41 AM
Have you tried kegels?

Kegels are a must!!!!!

ise@ssl
Jun. 29, 2011, 07:59 AM
How much caffeine do you consume daily? Caffeine will irritate the muscle that keeps this from happening and give you the problem you are having now.

TheHorseProblem
Jun. 29, 2011, 10:09 AM
You are not alone!

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264097

moonriverfarm
Jun. 29, 2011, 11:14 AM
Nope, you are not alone...happens to me when I jump or really "use" my body, i.e. sitting trot with no stirrups, posting with no stirrups. Oh and also when I yell at my dog as she is tearing down the street in 5 oclock traffic. Two babies and turning 40 did it for me. I suppose a mini-pad might help?

Kegel schmegel. Been doing them all my life. :winkgrin: Still leaky!

2ndyrgal
Jun. 29, 2011, 11:47 AM
Just go to your gyn or urologist now. They'll order a test, you'll get everything tucked up where it's supposed to be and get back to business.

It started with me about that age, about that circumstance. When I had my hysterectomy, it got worse. Much worse.

Kegels only help your partner, it isn't the pelvic muscles that are the problem, it's the way your bladder sits/drops as you age.

I waited almost 4 years, and the surgery, which was not at all painful, was instantly effective and is still, several years later.

I. P. Freely
Jun. 29, 2011, 01:02 PM
I have the same issue, but moreso at the canter, although it is not consistent.

It has been frustrating to say the least. With some dietary changes, I thought I had it sorted out, but alas no solution was permanent.

I did see my gyno and a urologist and had several tests done which yielded no answers, though I definitely agree with the previous poster, that you should go those routes because if you do just have some gravity issues those can be fixed. I thought caffiene was the culprit, but that was only a temporary fix. I eliminated several other things people suggested, and again did not find a smoking gun.

I tried to keep track of when it was happening to see if it was when I was frightened/nervous/etc, but it seems to be just the opposite. No connection to saddle type, breeches too tight, type of horse movement, etc. that I could determine. Just random leakage. :confused:

I was given a prescription for Toviaz, but it makes my eyes all wonky (it basically dehydrates you, so you get dry mouth and it can affect your vision as well). OTC decongestants work on the same principle and have about the same level of effectiveness without the side effects in my experience.

I have pretty much resigned myself to wearing a poise or other incontinence pad when I ride just in case. Mini pads didn't quite cut it for me. 8 out of 10 rides I may be fine, but once in awhile I'm not. It is definitely frustrating. I hope you find some solace in knowing you're not alone.

And in closing, I must say thank God for spanx. A lumpy lady with a lumpy incontinence pad in breeches is not a sight for the weak! :lol:

Twiliath
Jun. 29, 2011, 01:09 PM
Kegels.
Pilates.
Acupuncture.

LarkspurCO
Jun. 29, 2011, 02:23 PM
Kegels, pilates, acupuncture, whatever, will NOT correct prolapse.

Exercise can slow the progression but will not reverse it.

From one whose uterus was trying to escape and take the bladder with it, I recommend a good urogynecologist.

thatsnotme
Jun. 29, 2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks all! I'm off to see the dr apparently. I just knew I wasn't alone!

sandsarita
Jul. 1, 2011, 10:18 PM
I just noticed this thread. If it is just starting, surgery may not be needed now. The tampoon can help as a lot of the problem is your urethra moves too much, allowing urine to leak, and the tampoon helps keep the urethra in place/provides support. Some women, especially with mild incontinence, can actually receive a tremendous amount of help from a pelvic floor physical therapist. Sounds weird, I know, but one that specializes in that are can use biofeedback mechanisms and really teach you how to retrain the muscles properly (Kegels do help, but most people do them wrong). Alot of women can either avoid surgery completely or put if off for years. If the problem is only with your urethra and not with your bladder/uterus, etc, and you decide to go with surgery, the surgery to fix it is a day procedure and works well for most women. A good urogynecologist can really give you alot of options on how to work. (one caveat - if it is only just beginning, it may be very hard to prove in clinic at this point, in which case they may not recommend surgery at that point)

Gayla
Jul. 1, 2011, 11:17 PM
Several people here have said that the surgery was so easy. But the two people that I have known to have it have had to use a catheter for weeks afterwards to pee. Is this a more aggressive surgery?

hrsmstr
Jul. 1, 2011, 11:42 PM
Thanks for addressing this issue. I have a slightly different problem, that of...it doesn't matter if I use the restroom just before I get on my horse. The minute I'm riding, I have to go again.
I have had a bit of a problem with having to pee all the time. My doctor prescribed a drug which I cannot remember the name of. (my memory is going, too...). Unlike most folks, I read the literature they put in with the medication and it scared me to tears. I think I'd rather have to go all the time than deal with the more horrid things the drug could have caused.
Kegels didn't work for me, either, and I had the biofeedback training. All they seem to do for me is make me more sensitive to the need to urinate.

angel
Jul. 2, 2011, 08:00 AM
Estrogen helps tissue stay elastic. As we age, we lose estrogen, and all body parts start to sag somewhat. It is my thought that the muscles relaxing with age because of this, tips the pelvis more forward than that position in which it was previously held. Having children would also contribute. As much as the Kegel exercise, I would suggest sit ups to help tone those abdominal muscles a bit. Since this is tending to happen for you when you rise to the trot, I might also think that you are not keeping the weight of your torso in your heels correctly when you rise. This would contribute to the pelvis tipping forward. The cause??? Horse is probably on the forehand, and/or your saddle does not fit correctly, and/or you are plain not balancing correctly for the suspension of the trot. Pictures always help diagnose.

thatsnotme
Jul. 2, 2011, 09:45 AM
Angel-doesn't happen in regular rising trot. I'm currently riding a 3yo so I have all sorts of position issues! Looking at current pics of us (which I'm hesitant to post) show me hunched in the shoulders, but legs look good, but I do feel a tendency to raise my heels. Saddle is custom, but horse is on the forehand simply due to age/training. I am also on BC pills for a general lack of estrogen production. All very interesting points.
So, after a video of my ride (that I so want to post but am afraid too) my upper body position issues are very alive in my head. I'm off to the barn now and will work on that and making sure my weight falls through my heels and see if there is any difference.

hrs-not a big fan of meds either. I've just been using a pad all week. Dr. wants to run all kinds of tests and I feel like its fairly common for a woman who has had vaginal deliveries and is my age...

selah
Jul. 2, 2011, 12:27 PM
Old OB/GYN nurse here.
Those that mentioned using a "tampoon" reminded me of one of the "oldest medical devices available"...the pessary:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000501/2719.html

May be something to try as an easy, non-surgical intervention. Any surgery requires a recovery period, and bears risk of nosocomial (hospital-acquired) infection. Post-surgical instructions include to avoid heavy lifting...forever...so as not to un-do the repair. Good excuse to have someone else do the heavy work, but there's not always someone on hand to move that bale or lug the tack trunk.

Galloping Granny
Jul. 2, 2011, 02:06 PM
OK, ladies. I promise that I am not some kind of pervert, but a kinesiologist taught me this and it has totally solved the problem - instantly! This is really weird, and believe me you don't want anyone catching you doing it, but apparently it affects the nerve that controls the offending muscles.

I have a piece of 2x4 lumber out in the barn that is about 4 ft. long. I place one end of it on the floor against the stall wall at a 45 degree angle and lean on the other end placed about 3" below my belly button. Then I relax my abs and bounce on it 6 or 8 times. It's important that you are not pushing against it with your abs. It may be slightly uncomfortable, but not painful.

The first time I did it I had great improvement, and I did it again a week later and went a full year and a half with no leakage. Then I started having a little again when I lifted heavy manure buckets so I did it again twice, and I haven't had any leakage for well over a year. And I am *well* over 40! I know it sounds crazy, but it's worked for me and a number of other women I know. It's just not something I often admit to having done, but I'm sure glad someone shared it with me. Nothing to lose by trying!

angel
Jul. 2, 2011, 02:48 PM
How tall are you, and are you using the four-inch width as if it is underlining your belly button? Would you say that the area against which the pressure of the board is used would be about halfway between belly-button and the top of the pubis?

Lilykoi
Jul. 2, 2011, 03:41 PM
My little terrier just started having this problem too. She is almost twelve and was leaking a bit at night when she was deep asleep. My vet prescribed medication to help and it has worked wonders! Maybe there is a human equivalant? A human friend uses a vaginal suppository to tighten things up and other friends have successfully had their bladder tacked back up where it belongs. So human or canine, there is a fix! ^..^

tikidoc
Jul. 2, 2011, 04:23 PM
There are really 2 basic type of incontinence, urge and stress (although many women have a combination of the two). Urge incontinence happens when the bladder muscles contract inappropriately, overcoming the sphincter that keeps urine in. This is the classic leaking as you run to the bathroom. Stress incontinence is more an anatomic problem, caused basically by sagging of the urethra, changing the angle of the urethra as it enters the bladder, leading to leakage. The classic example here is losing urine with things that increase intra-abdominal pressure, like sneezing. Mixed incontinence is when you have some of both, which is pretty common.

Kegels can be very helpful with the stress type, but as someone else mentioned, only if done correctly, and biofeedback can be very helpful in getting them right. Medications treat urge incontinence by preventing spasm in the bladder muscles. The dry mouth is a side effect of this class of medication - it does not work by dehydrating you.

I would not rush into surgery. Some newer techniques have better results than in the past, but there are risks, and very often the improvements are not permanent.

If it is enough of a problem that you are considering some sort of intervention, get evaluated by good urogynecologist, who will likely do testing called urodynamics, to better evaluate the type(s) of incontinence, and try the conservative stuff first, like biofeedback/Kegels. Doing things like making sure your bladder is empty and not drinking a lot before riding can also help.

Galloping Granny
Jul. 2, 2011, 07:22 PM
Angel, I am 5'8" and yes, I'd say it's about 1/2 way between my belly button and pubic bone. It's just a board that was lying around so I tried it. I only have done it when nobody was in the barn! LOL

Galloping Granny
Jul. 2, 2011, 07:23 PM
Also, I work in the medical field and understand anatomy and physiology. I would never have believed this if I hadn't tried it. Maybe it won't work in every case, but it did for me.

Austin Rider
Jul. 3, 2011, 07:19 PM
Pilates solved it for me. I guess strengthening my core/pelvic floor was the fix.

Kairoshorses
Jul. 3, 2011, 07:45 PM
Two children, naturally, at 36 and 38 (the last one almost 10 lbs) made every jump a splashdown for me. :D

I tried kegels, depends, tampons, pilates....and finally had surgery (yes, I was badly prolapsed). It was painless, very little recovery, and I LOVE IT. I can even jump on the trampoline w/ my kids now!