PDA

View Full Version : How do the seatbones influence bend?

RunForIt
Jun. 28, 2011, 08:43 AM
Just need some basic info here...my horse is more difficult on the left rein. Am wondering if it's how I'm weighting my inside seatbone. He tends to want to avoid being straight on this rein by moving his inside hind to the inside, and popping his outside shoulder. I counterbend to correct this and he leans on the left rein a good bit...happy camper going on the right rein. Any thoughts? Thanks!

SillyHorse
Jun. 28, 2011, 09:10 AM
I think you've answered your own question. Try sitting with your weight *slightly* on the outside seatbone and see if it makes a difference. I'm guessing it will.

alibi_18
Jun. 28, 2011, 09:57 AM
Put your horse in a shoulder-fore position instead of counterbending him.
You need to prevent the outside shoulder to pop out and bring those haunches straight!

Try to stay as straight as possible with your seatbones. You need to put more weight in the inside (or in the bend) but...think of it as lengthening your inside leg instead.

merrygoround
Jun. 28, 2011, 10:07 AM
I suspect that you are concentrating on your seat, and neglecting the influence of your legs. So the weighting of the seat should be only used in combination with the bend requested by your legs, and never to the extreme. And all of this is supported but not led by your reins