PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Courtney Dye for the great explanation of the half halt

dalpal
Jun. 27, 2011, 08:37 PM
In this month's Dressage Today..there is an FYI article by Courtney...BEST explanation of the half halt I've ever read.

Described it to the hunter rider who rides my mare today and she was grinning ear to ear and called me over to watch...she had her beautifully collected and was yelling.."THANK YOU COURTNEY" :lol:

Courtney basically describes it as SLOW THE SHOULDERS SO THE HIND LEGS CAN CATCH UP.

BEARCAT
Jun. 27, 2011, 08:58 PM
For me, I did not like the visual as what came to my mind where hords of beg/intermediate riders pulling on the reins to "slow down the shoulders."
I know that is not what she meant, but that is the visual I got. Especially with the added "so that the hind end can catch up." I just pictured this discombobulated horse with a trailing hind...
But to each his own. Glad it helped your friend.

My favourite Half-Halt description is: "A gathering of the horse, both physically and mentally."
It makes me tighten my core just sitting here typing it!

dalpal
Jun. 27, 2011, 10:16 PM
I like Courtney's description because it isn't abstract.

DutchDressageQueen
Jun. 27, 2011, 10:55 PM
"A gathering of the horse, both physically and mentally."
It makes me tighten my core just sitting here typing it!

Excellent explanation of a half halt!

Dogsandponies
Jun. 28, 2011, 12:14 AM
I agree whole heartedly. What made the difference for me was the advice to take the seat out of the half-halt. I tried it the day after I read the article and my horse not only half-halted fluidly, he maintained his rhythm and I was much less tense.
Thank you CKD.

dalpal
Jun. 28, 2011, 09:39 AM
I agree whole heartedly. What made the difference for me was the advice to take the seat out of the half-halt. I tried it the day after I read the article and my horse not only half-halted fluidly, he maintained his rhythm and I was much less tense.
Thank you CKD.

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: :yes::yes:

alicen
Jun. 28, 2011, 09:55 AM
Errr, not to put too fine a point on it, but no one here has actually said entirely what aids CK advises for a half-halt. Perhaps some one would elaborate?

cllane1
Jun. 28, 2011, 10:17 AM
I saw her half-halt explanation when I was reading DT yesterday and immediately went, "Wow, that's it exactly!" I kept it in mind as I rode this morning.

birdsong
Jun. 28, 2011, 10:37 AM
Is there a link maybe?

monstrpony
Jun. 28, 2011, 10:47 AM
Aids for a half-halt? You know what you have in your toolbox; use what you need to fix what's missing in the moment. Wanting a precise set of aids that will work every time for a half-halt dooms you to failure 99% of the time. A half-halt is largely a concept, not a fixed exercise; that's why different descriptive wordings work for different people.

alicen
Jun. 28, 2011, 10:58 AM
Aids for a half-halt? You know what you have in your toolbox; use what you need to fix what's missing in the moment.

A lot of trainers (and magazines) would be out of business if all riders had that attitude.

dragonharte8
Jun. 28, 2011, 11:02 AM
A half-halt is largely a concept, not a fixed exercise; that's why different descriptive wordings work for different people.

Exactly. This is what the clinician I ride for 3x a year drilled into my head.:D

Wholehearted
Jun. 28, 2011, 11:03 AM
Yes, exactly this! Also, the example of pistons at the sitting trot suddenly connected with me as I was riding yesterday.

monstrpony
Jun. 28, 2011, 11:55 AM
A lot of trainers (and magazines) would be out of business if all riders had that attitude.

No, there is still a job for them in building the toolbox. But once the concepts become more complex, prescribing a single way to effect those concepts is not the ideal approach. It would be reasonable to ask what aids are used most often to correct the balance, or what effect aids should have in order to contribute to correcting the balance. But to expect a recipe for correcting balance in all cases is unrealistic.

And that is also probably not exactly what you meant; my point is just that a description like Courtney's will work for some people because it happens to be what makes the lightbulb go on for them to understand the concept. Then, they have to go to their tool box and figure out how to make the concept happen. The fact that she didn't prescribe the tools does not weaken the usefulness of her description.

easyrider
Jun. 28, 2011, 01:55 PM
Well said, monstrpony.

alicen
Jun. 28, 2011, 03:48 PM
Sorry, I've been around horses for so long now that I get impatient with human to human communication which waxes more metaphorical than literal. I was thrown by the notion of slowing a shoulder.

Justmyluck
Jun. 28, 2011, 09:56 PM
My new trainer who has helped me and my horse improve in leaps and bounds has told me that half halts aren't about what you take but what you give. It has made SOOOO much more since to me.