PDA

View Full Version : What is eating the eggs?

ptownevt
Jun. 27, 2011, 10:53 AM
Something is eating the eggs that my hens lay. My hens free range and don't always lay their eggs in the same spot. Whatever is eating the eggs finds them. It breaks out the end of the egg, eats the inside and leaves the shell. What does that? Ideas?

ReSomething
Jun. 27, 2011, 11:02 AM
Anything and everything will steal eggs or break them and eat them. Snakes, coons, possums, fox, other birds including other deranged chickens, you name it.

AliCat518
Jun. 27, 2011, 11:04 AM
This may not work for you since theyre removing the egg, but my great grandmother would put a white old school doorknob in with the eggs and wait for the snake (or whatever) was eating them.
She would then kill the animal and take her doorknob back for next time.

Worth a try? Maybe set up trail cams? Theyre pretty cheap.

Dance_To_Oblivion
Jun. 27, 2011, 11:08 AM
Raccoons and Possums for sure...get some traps!

cindylouwho
Jun. 27, 2011, 11:14 AM
Dogs too! I have a egg sucking dog! She loves to find a nest of eggs. It is a great dog day for her.

kmw2707
Jun. 27, 2011, 12:16 PM
I have one hen that went broody a couple weeks ago. She was sitting on her nest in the hay barn up until yesterday. I checked her nest and all the eggs were gone. No idea what happened to them. No broken shells, no feathers, just gone.

My other free range hens are still laying in the chicken coop, but in the last 2 days or so, a baseball size hole has appeared in the floor....I am thinking rats?

elctrnc
Jun. 27, 2011, 01:43 PM
I have a crow that is going into my coop and either eating the eggs there or carrying the eggs out in its beak. I have witnessed both things occur and I never would have believed it. I thought the crow was just eating the layer pellets!

JSwan
Jun. 27, 2011, 02:03 PM
What does that? Ideas?

Weasles, coons, possums, dogs, rats, birds... pretty much any wild animal.

Nes
Jun. 27, 2011, 02:40 PM
make sure it isn't the hens themselves breaking the eggs.

Tom King
Jun. 27, 2011, 03:02 PM
That's the way possums eat eggs. I caught one doing it once. He was up on a roosting pole with the hens eating an egg. The hens weren't minding him sitting there at all. I didn't want to upset the hens by firing a shot in the hen house, so I went and found a baseball bat. That was a time when I was a little behind on replacing the chicken wire around the pen.

scheherazadetbmare
Jun. 27, 2011, 03:55 PM
all of the above eat eggs. and snakes too.

BLBGP
Jun. 27, 2011, 06:34 PM
Are your ladies getting enough calcium? Could be that their eggs are breaking easily and the hens are eating the tasty treat inside. Can you get nesting boxes for them?

Check backyardchickens.com for the best chicken-related advice out there.

MistyBlue
Jun. 27, 2011, 07:59 PM
Anything and everything loves eggs that are free range. :yes:

Just a partial list:
raccoons
possums
fishers
badgers
weasels of all sorts
otters
hawks
crows
ravens
hens
turkeys
pheasants
quail
coyotes
fox
rats

If it was a snake, the egg would be flattened. By the time the egg comes out of the other side, it's kinda flat.

fivehorses
Jun. 27, 2011, 09:59 PM
I had chickens for years that ate their eggs. They'd lay them, turn around and eat them.
I had one I remember who would wait while the others laid, so she could eat the fresh egg.
They eventually all learned to do that. I fed chickens for years without getting an egg, very frustrating.

Hope you figure it out.
I also put plastic easter eggs in the nests in hopes of discouraging them from eating eggs...no such luck.

Alicat, I don't understand the door knob...how did that work?

Nes
Jun. 27, 2011, 10:12 PM
Five horses - yes, once they start you can try to give them supplements to see if that will stop them, but usually you have to cull.

Tricking the snake into thinking the door-knob was an egg, plus it probably couldn't get back out the hole it came in. Ali that was a great story! :lol:

I should paint some of our wood eggs white if we ever have a snake problem!

Itsablingthing2011
Jun. 28, 2011, 10:46 AM
Could be the hens themselves doing it. We had that problem with some of our hens this year. Take a pair of fingernail clippers and just snip the end of their beak off so it's flat instead of pointed. That will stop it!!

Also- could be skunks, we also had that this year and snakes!

wildlifer
Jun. 28, 2011, 07:53 PM
Well, if they are free range hens, they are basically just dropping tasty snacks all over the place, can you blame things for eating them? It's like scattering a load of Krispy Kremes in a crowded park and then asking, "Judging by the crumb pattern, which individual ate the donuts!!!???" If you want to keep your eggs, you need to contain your birds in a safe enclosure.

summerhorse
Jul. 4, 2011, 07:22 PM
Anything and everything loves eggs that are free range. :yes:

Just a partial list:
raccoons
possums
fishers
badgers
weasels of all sorts
otters
hawks
crows
ravens
hens
turkeys
pheasants
quail
coyotes
fox
rats

If it was a snake, the egg would be flattened. By the time the egg comes out of the other side, it's kinda flat.

Actually they usually barf up the egg shell part. It's kind of neat actually, eat egg, clench and POP and then blech, out comes the shell.