PDA

View Full Version : Dressage IS fun (blooper pics)

cnm161
Jun. 26, 2011, 12:41 AM
Every now and then, when we start taking ourselves way too seriously, something like this happens:
A: Enter collected canter. X: Halt, salute. Proceed with caution. C: Track left. Pray. HXF: Extended trot. Bonus points for squeal, buck, and explosion (http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/27976_424124220989_3594069_n.jpg)

Or this:
WAIT, WHAT ON EARTH IS OVER THERE? NO WAY CAN WE CANTER PAST THAT (http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/246722_566338292573_2414731_n.jpg)

Let's see 'em, people. The reasons that we continue to try to do this sport.

amm2cd
Jun. 26, 2011, 12:50 AM
I'm always so jealous of HJ and eventer peeps. They always have fun threads like these while we endlessly debate Gal v. Rath... Time for a change!

I'll play. This is my 4 yo GRP mare at a clinic.
Pony Objects. Strenously. (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31901119&l=338b3d6782&id=121201214)

My 7 yo Quarterhorse
I'm FREEEEE! (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31457357&l=9ba6470129&id=121201214)

And this one is just cute.... (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31076026&l=d664d7ac5f&id=121201214)

See? Our dressage horses are not unhappy with life!

Ibex
Jun. 26, 2011, 01:18 AM
I think the comment read "explosive canter depart" :lol:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/19535_228549786204_586826204_3712858_804107_n.jpg

Bugs-n-Frodo
Jun. 26, 2011, 01:22 AM
This teaches me that I need to have a better sense of humor about myself. I do not have one single blooper pic of Frodo and I. That is NOT because we do not have bloopers, it is because I don't save the bloopers. I mean, I would not want anyone to know that I am not perfect, right? :lol: :winkgrin: Let me see if I can find something on my computer...

ETA: Nothing. I promise, the next time I have someone take pics of me, to keep the not so good pics too. I want something to add to these fun threads.

Pony Fixer
Jun. 26, 2011, 09:02 AM
Not a still photo, but a DVD video of my last show, immortalizes a FANTASTIC dressage blooper for me. I went off course (TWICE) on the same movement. TWICE!

The thought makes me crack up still. The pain is lessened by still winning the class (2nd/2) with a 67+%, but the 69.5% that it would have been would've been nice!

Puddin Pie
Jun. 26, 2011, 09:31 AM
I don't have a picture, but my favorite was always, "halt at X, stretch, pee" proceed working trot.

cnm161
Jun. 26, 2011, 10:11 AM
Pony Fixer, not too shabby... been there myself. I circled twice to get Dr. Retardo's head back in the game (after the first picture). As you can see, still didn't work out. But that's our goal: we always keep the audience entertained.

A moment I wish I had on video: first PSG test (his and mine). Perfect warmup around the arena. Enter at A, and he squeals like a girl and throws a mini fit. The rest of the test was various pitches of squealing-- my favorite was the extended canter, where he sounded a little bit like Flipper. The show photographer was laughing so hard she couldn't take video. And the judge was laughing so hard she had a hard time telling the scribe what to write.

Bugs-n-Frodo
Jun. 26, 2011, 11:17 AM
And YOU ^ have a wonderful sense of humor. :lol: I would kill to see the "squeal" test. :lol:

Come on folks, post more!!

NowThatsATrot
Jun. 26, 2011, 12:18 PM
No pics, sadly, but when taking the boss's 22y/o school horse off the farm for the first time in fifteen years for "a positive learning experience" (for him)...

E: Circle left 20m
E: Hop neatly out of the ring. Blush, grin sheepishly.
E: Hop neatly back into the ring at judge's insistence. Finish schooling test while pretending not to hear the boss snickering in the distance.

Later: Get back test sheet, see 70+ scores next to the big fat E. Sigh. Consider taking up hamsters instead.

CNM -- I would have loved to see that test. My old man squeals too but never quite to that extent. :lol:

cnm161
Jun. 26, 2011, 04:12 PM
Gotta say, the squealing was super appropriate. Just when I start taking myself seriously as a dressage rider, hitting the big time, doing the big shows... my horse squeals like a little girl at Disneyland for 8 minutes. He's 17.3hh, by the way. Yep, way to take me down a peg buddy.

I'm on the hunt for another fairly famous photo of my talented guy... first clinic with a BNT, and he turned into a porpoise for a few strides. No big deal. Nothing to see here, people.

oldernewbie
Jun. 26, 2011, 05:23 PM
After our first year of showing (2010), I have some fabulous clips of awfulness. I have my husband come and videotape for posterity. Most of the tapes never see the light of day. However, in the spirit of this thread, I did pick out a special performance and made a clip of our (DH and I's) favorite part.

Windy day, cool, deer jumping out of the woods behind the ring, barnmates yelling for each other...everything came together for a perfect s###storm of horrible.

My husband said: I didn't know horses could do this with their tails....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQMh-dLc7n4

PSA: I have spent the last 9 months and the GDP of a small country fixing (or perhaps attempting to fix!) the riding wrongs in this video. I swear we are *much* better!

Opus1
Jun. 26, 2011, 08:06 PM

It looked like he was using it as his propeller. :D ;)

BohemianRN
Jun. 26, 2011, 08:07 PM
Keep it going! I love it!

I have to scan my pics. I have "croup high in canter depart" aka he buck launched into canter, much like the above poster!

We do need to have more threads like this

TheHorseProblem
Jun. 26, 2011, 08:21 PM
Hey, Facebookers. We non-FB members can't see your photos unless you use the public link at the bottom of the page.

Vesper Sparrow
Jun. 26, 2011, 08:40 PM
Oldernewbie, I love the point in the video where you turn around and look back to see what is going on back there.

Here is my contribution. This is my five-year old's first away show with me up (the year before, he had done one show with my trainer riding).

He had just had a meltdown (buck and rear) in the warmup over the organizers testing kur music over the loudspeakers. This is a gelding that never spooks at anything. Our test featured him calling constantly to his buddies and this camel imitation:

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp163/VesperSparrowCOTH/IMG_0725.jpg

Lovinglife5757
Jun. 26, 2011, 09:31 PM
The best part is that, with or without the pictures as proof, we've all been there.

Misery loves company. :lol:

IdahoRider
Jun. 26, 2011, 10:35 PM

Oh, Arabs can do all sorts of things with their tails! My gelding tells everyone within eye sight just what kind of ride I am going to have before I ever enter the arena...based only on his tail position. And I am not above looking back to get an idea of what is in store! Forewarned is forearmed, right?
Sheilah

oldernewbie
Jun. 26, 2011, 10:49 PM
The best part is that, with or without the pictures as proof, we've all been there.

Misery loves company. :lol:

So true!

The other thing that is great about most of these is that usually the rider is laughing! To me that's about all you can do when you know you are making the gods and goddesses of dressage turn over in their graves! :lol::lol:

Or, you can do like I did at my last show - start laughing because it's so awful but remember to apologize to the judge about the whole frickin' thing when you're done! Then take bets with my sister re: whether I would break 40% or not (didn't!). All was forgiven because he had three great rides before that.

oldernewbie
Jun. 26, 2011, 10:52 PM
Oh, Arabs can do all sorts of things with their tails! My gelding tells everyone within eye sight just what kind of ride I am going to have before I ever enter the arena...based only on his tail position. And I am not above looking back to get an idea of what is in store! Forewarned is forearmed, right?
Sheilah

^^^^mucho likee!!! :yes:

A recent clinician told me this: this horse will reflect *every* mistake you make.

It's the curse of all that expressiveness!!!:)

oldernewbie
Jun. 26, 2011, 11:01 PM
Oldernewbie, I love the point in the video where you turn around and look back to see what is going on back there.

Here is my contribution. This is my five-year old's first away show with me up (the year before, he had done one show with my trainer riding).

He had just had a meltdown (buck and rear) in the warmup over the organizers testing kur music over the loudspeakers. This is a gelding that never spooks at anything. Our test featured him calling constantly to his buddies and this camel imitation:

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp163/VesperSparrowCOTH/IMG_0725.jpg

I kept thinking he must have the mother of all horse flies back there, but the brain couldn't process that idea too well since it was September. Horse flies are long gone in these parts by then. Never did figure it out except that he was nuts that day.

I could probably see your camel imitation and raise you to giraffe, but one dose of my awfulness is enough!! Yours is quite lovely tho!

Thank you to whoever started this thread. I am loving it.

netg
Jun. 27, 2011, 03:12 AM
I don't know whether it's fortunate or unfortunate, but I have no visual evidence of the bad moments other than the comment about my horse having an unfortunately cranky day in the collectives. The judge later informed me he resisted the urge to yell "try backing in!" when my horse suddenly refused to enter the arena. It didn't help that the opening was so small two weeks later it would have been illegal based on the new entrance size rule.

My horse tends to forget his last 5 years of training and only remember the less than a year he was on the track, and leap as if from a starting gate when excited. Yes, a horse suddenly sinking his butt toward the ground and leaping up into the air is always fun when attempting to look nice at a show.

WILLOW&CAL
Jun. 27, 2011, 07:59 AM
:D Mine doesn't buck or rear. He freezes. Just does a beautiful imitation of an equestrian statue in the middle of the arena. I can just see him thinking 'la la la I cant hear you!' I land up looking like a 5 year old on an oversized Welshie doing the bounce and kick to get him moving. We got a 46% test back with a comment from the judge-"beautiful horse, pity he didn't want to move'. I love pity from judges, its a real confidence booster.:no:

Pink_Vanillabeans
Jun. 27, 2011, 10:57 PM
its ok guys, i was at dressage rally for pony club one year and out of 205 people we got 205th and 204th worst scores over the weekend. add those horrible scores to it being about 40 degrees and raining, it was a fun weekend for sure hahahhaa

Pink_Vanillabeans
Jun. 28, 2011, 01:51 PM
its ok guys, i was at dressage rally for pony club one year and out of 205 people we got 205th and 204th worst scores over the weekend. add those horrible scores to it being about 40 degrees and raining, it was a fun weekend for sure hahahhaa

cnm161
Jun. 28, 2011, 02:20 PM
Best judge's comments:
"Pretty horse. Get a trainer."
"...Creative test."
"Work on horse's focus... a lot"
"Take lessons."
"Tactful ride. Next time... less opinion from the horse"
"Could have been less noisy."

You stick around this sport long enough, you get some pretty hilarious comments. You know, as long as you don't take them personally.

horsefaerie
Jun. 28, 2011, 02:38 PM
I have never been the kind to scratch a horse to save face. As a trainer/instructor I should.

I was doing a first level test on a lovely tbred mare who could do some strange things at shows. In warm up she had prompted a friend to tell me I had no fear of death.

When on deck, however, she fell asleep and then sucked back upon entering the ring.

When we were to lengthen in trot she woke up and happily performed tempi changes across the diagonal in response to me feeble attempts to communicate a lengthening.

I was friends with the judge and she happily wrote "Tempi changes not required at this level".

Or the day I wore purple polka dot panties under my white breeches and you could tell!

Dressage can be fun!

TheHorseProblem
Jun. 28, 2011, 07:25 PM
It looks like he's playing one of the Parelli games with himself.

My horse decided to send me flying on the way into the ring, then ran off and broke his bridle. I had an hour and a half between tests to race home and get my spare bridle while my trainer had a conversation with my horse in the round pen. Just had time to warm up again and go do the second test. My white breeches and his three white socks were filthy, but we scored over 60% and the judge wrote "glad to see you back!" on the test. She didn't mark me down for my fist pumping.:)

Heinz 57
Jun. 28, 2011, 08:13 PM
Ha! I love it. I might have one or two...

Warmup is FUN! (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/erin7264/DSC_9453.jpg)

Not dressage, but the original DQ-mare (Lipizzan) during her short jumping career...
Dressage QUEEN Lip mare... (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/erin7264/Lake%20Oswego%202004/100304123.jpg)

ironbessflint
Jun. 29, 2011, 12:25 AM
hahaha....silly Bucky!

My personal favorite was when we entered at A, shifted sideways at X and drifted to the corner, exploded, and the judge leaned out and said, "What are you doing?" In the video you can see me look over my shoulder and give the judge a confused look while my horse completely lost his mind.

Same horse, different test (I actually thought we were going to take the judge OUT in this one!)....a score of 34.9% and the judge commented "Nice horse...lots of potential!"

In retrospect, he was probably better ON the track...

Kealit
Jun. 29, 2011, 01:54 PM
I took my friend's TB to a show once. While schooling on Friday she spooked at a tractor backfiring and then checked out as we did lap after lap after lap around the indoor arena. That set the tone for every canter afterwards. It wasn't scary, just tiring, but I guess she didn't find it so tiring because she continued this all weekend. In the test I wasn't planning on even trying the canter as I figured the edges of the dressage arena would not provide a good border if she was still convinced that canter meant gallop like you did during your time on the track. However, she was LOVELY once in the arena and we had a beautiful training level test and got a 70. After we finished I got off, scratched from the next test, and vowed never to take her to another show!

ETA: no pics because the test itself looked great! If only someone had been taking pics of the schooling :P

OldMorgans
Jun. 29, 2011, 06:54 PM
Pony Fixer, not too shabby... been there myself. I circled twice to get Dr. Retardo's head back in the game (after the first picture). As you can see, still didn't work out. But that's our goal: we always keep the audience entertained.

A moment I wish I had on video: first PSG test (his and mine). Perfect warmup around the arena. Enter at A, and he squeals like a girl and throws a mini fit. The rest of the test was various pitches of squealing-- my favorite was the extended canter, where he sounded a little bit like Flipper. The show photographer was laughing so hard she couldn't take video. And the judge was laughing so hard she had a hard time telling the scribe what to write.

Dang, I was eating black beans when I read that. Yeah, I snorted them...
How was your second try at PSG? :D

cnm161
Jun. 29, 2011, 10:42 PM
Dang, I was eating black beans when I read that. Yeah, I snorted them...

Sorry about your nose. Dressage can be hazardous to your health. Or at least it is the way Bucky and I do it.

How was your second try at PSG? :D

Significantly quieter! :D

Holly Jeanne
Jun. 30, 2011, 12:12 PM
No pictures but I had an OTTB mare. I took her to one dressage show. We had been hauling out for lessons but hadn't been around other horses much. She had a nervous breakdown in the warm-up. Was literally shaking underneath me. I thought maybe we'd calm down when we were alone in the ring but her mind was gone by that time. We entered (barely), halter, saluted and went sideways. I asked the judge if we could just trot around for a minute as I didn't want to just leave at that point. We trotted a circle and then came back up the center line where I dismounted. Judge stated "that was probably wise!" :lol:

amastrike
Jul. 1, 2011, 02:27 PM
Ha! I love it. I might have one or two...

Warmup is FUN! (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/erin7264/DSC_9453.jpg)

:lol: Your position would be great over fences, too!

I have the first dressage test I did on my mare on video but I refuse to watch or share it. It's that bad. And I enjoy sharing bad photos/videos of myself and laughing. The test isn't even recognizable because the mare was so hot and refused to listen.

2DogsFarm
Jul. 1, 2011, 03:10 PM
Y'all's pics are hysterical! :lol:

I SO wish I could share, but this is Stealth COTHing (from work - ssshhhh!) pics all at home :no:

Picture - if you will - the vid of me riding a test on Vernon, while in the background you can not only hear DH's horse calling for his BE(quine)FF, but see him running back & forth, into & out of the frame.
Poor guy had a serious case of Vernon Separation Anxiety.

In his own test the calling continued and judge marked him down for "talking"

Then there's my Personal Best:
Riding my 2nd test I totally blanked & kind of wandered aimlessly, trying to recall where I left off...
As I rode past the judge, she leaned out and stage-whispered "Wrong test"
Ya think?

in_the_zone
Jul. 2, 2011, 06:14 PM
15m circle at R not going well. Ended up going off course trying to shut down his patented spook-spin-bolt maneuver. There was NOTHING there. It was all for show. I begged him to show off his dressage not his naughty behaviors. He thinks that later are more impressive and entertaining.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=70208&l=6a774e4f54&id=100000740739490

KMErickson
Jul. 3, 2011, 12:07 AM
This was my mare and I at one of our first shows together, where she decided that picking up the reins again after the free walk was tantamount to EVIL HORSE ABUSE THAT MUST NOT BE TOLERATED. Fortunately, though she chose a super sneaky location to act up in, so I don't think the judge could even see at all... ;)

Kiki expressing her thoughts on contact... they are not warm and fuzzy. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/39999856@N08/5895481053/)

MassageLady
Jul. 3, 2011, 02:21 AM
Not dressage...but at a show at the KY Horse Park-for arabs, my 14.3hh mare had to literally babysit my anglo-16.3hh gelding-who was the biggest wuss in the world! Put them in the show hack class together, but he was being so bad, I wouldn't canter him-so here's how that went...announcer 'walk your horses/collected walk please' (we did), 'trot your horses/extended/collected' (we did), 'canter your horses, etc' (we continued to trot and ignor the announcer)my mare kept my gelding on the rail and my trainer was ready to grab him at a moments notice. Just was funny that everyone else was cantering, and we continued on in our own little world.

manentail
Jul. 3, 2011, 09:14 AM
This was my mare and I at one of our first shows together, where she decided that picking up the reins again after the free walk was tantamount to EVIL HORSE ABUSE THAT MUST NOT BE TOLERATED. Fortunately, though she chose a super sneaky location to act up in, so I don't think the judge could even see at all... ;)

Kiki expressing her thoughts on contact... they are not warm and fuzzy. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/39999856@N08/5895481053/)

Very pretty horse otherwise.

dressagetraks
Jul. 3, 2011, 10:14 AM
On funny judge comments, my trainer said that years and years ago, she was riding an OTTB on a windy day. Dressage ring in middle of a huge field, people warming up all around the (distant) edges. Her OTTB bolted and tried to run away. Trainer got annoyed and made her KEEP bolting (careful of other riders and staying well out of the way), would not let her slow down, pushed her on until it was clearly the trainer's idea, not mare's, and mare was completely acknowledging this. Then finally let her stop, dripping wet. They were now on deck. Walked to the ring, entered, did a decent test.

But of course, the judge and everybody and his brother had noticed the OTTB racing around the (distant) edges of the field with the rider occasionally adding comments of, "NO, you B****, you don't get to stop yet! You wanted this, so DEAL with it."

The judge added in her comments at the end of the test, "Interesting warm-up strategy." :lol:

staceyk
Jul. 8, 2011, 07:54 AM
Not sure if dressage folks here caught the epic naughtiness of one of the rolex competitors -- imagine making all the way to Rolex to be eliminated Day One. The Rider Katie Ruppel was beyond gracious about the whole thing...

http://www.behindthebitblog.com/2011/05/rolex-redux-naughty-sir-donovan-in.html
http://www.behindthebitblog.com/2011/05/katie-and-sd-video-thanks-to.html

Antaeus
Jul. 8, 2011, 11:14 AM
^^^
Heartening to see that even someone at this level can have a bad day! :yes:

HenryisBlaisin'
Jul. 8, 2011, 01:58 PM
I wish I had video of mine. T-1 test with a canter depart between K and A. Which he does, but then we got to A and Himself decided that he'd like to leave now, thankyouverymuch. I wasn't so hot on that, and the interaction resulted in Henry kind of leaping sideways toward the ingate with me hell-bent on him staying in, to which his response was , "Fine. We'll stay in. Just don't expect me to like it." and a canter to dead stop, still at A. I was laughing too hard to be much help by that point but we got it together and finished the test.

The judge's comment: "Some disagreement."

You think?

Also had one in Henry's very first show. Coming up centerline in his Intro B test and JUST before the halt a huge bug flew up his nose. He stopped DEAD a couple of steps early and threw his head up with a giant snort. I guess he got the bug out becaus he lowered his head and stood nicely for the salute with me trying not to laugh. Luckily the judge saw the mutant bug too and didn't mark him off too badly.

katherineyyyy
Jul. 10, 2011, 04:20 PM
i took my green horse to a dressage show for his first show, and it was my first dressage test ever, because i normally do hunters. so i totally forgot all the rules of dressage tests and entered before the judge blew the whistle, haha. my mom got it on video: i halt at x and the judge is like, we didn't blow the whistle.. and i'm awkwardly like oh!! sorry!!! and turn around and trot out hahahaha.

Bravestrom
Jul. 10, 2011, 04:41 PM
here is my 4 yr old at his first outdoor show - notice that I am wearing a vest - I accidently used a bit too much spur

http://www.prospectequinefarms.com/images/strom/2011-04-23-6.JPG

AnotherRound
Jul. 10, 2011, 05:04 PM
Whew, do I feel better. Haven't attempted a show yet because of these kinds of random events - Guess I should just square (our) shoulders and soldier in!!

Bravestrom
Jul. 10, 2011, 05:07 PM
here is my 4 yr old at his first outdoor show - notice that I am wearing a vest - I accidently used a bit too much spur

http://www.prospectequinefarms.com/images/strom/2011-04-23-6.JPG

I should mention that we did go to a gold show a month after this and scored 66% - placing 3rd out of 13.

ClassynIvansMom
Jul. 10, 2011, 05:25 PM
All of these posts have been HILARIOUS so far :) What a treat of a midday read!

Well, I still haven't taken my greenie OTTB to his first show yet so no show anecdotes yet, but we did have one little incident to speak of during a lesson on Thursday morning. I was asking him to do something while tracking left , and he decided to give me the finger, flopping himself from side to side like a fish, ending with a counterbend and plowing his way on out of the arena, until we passed the "ask.... ask..." point and got to the "TELL!" point, upon which we marched our sassy butts back in.

Generally he's a very good boy, but it was hot and he decided he had an opinion. After continuing the lesson and getting a rather lovely right lead canter, he had another mini-fit when it was time for the downward transition, which finally ended in a very quick one-rein-let-your-nosie-meet-my-boot stop in the middle of the arena before he got too big of a head of steam. This boy of mine will make a real horse(wo)man out of me yet, but at least we're generally having tons of fun doing it :)

Horsegal984
Jul. 10, 2011, 09:54 PM
I'm feeling so much better after reading all these! Took my friends jumper to a little dressage schooling show, and after him making it perfectly clear during warm ups that we were supposed to be in the ring WITH the jumps we headed over to the dressage ring. This guy shows at HITS in Ocala every freaking winter, so I figured schooling show, no big deal!

Until he suddenly paniced because we were on the OUTSIDE of the ring, and there's people IN the judges booth!! I heard the judge laughing while I was reminding him how much of a doofus he is.

And on every canter depart, you can see his head come up, and look for the fences!

Still trying to find the jumps...
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150304559572079.383141.573317078#!/photo.php?fbid=2190585644998&set=t.573317078&type=1&theater

Horsegal984
Jul. 10, 2011, 09:56 PM
One of my friends was telling me about a time when her friend was doing their test in the small arena, and when they got to the corner horsey decided just to jump out... rider continued around like test was supposed to be ridden in large arena, and jumped right back in along the other long side! If you're going to mess up, do it with confidence!

oldernewbie
Jul. 10, 2011, 10:21 PM
Whew, do I feel better. Haven't attempted a show yet because of these kinds of random events - Guess I should just square (our) shoulders and soldier in!!

Yep, one way or the other, you just gotta do it. Once you live through it, you too will have your own badge of honor!!! and something to share!

heronponie
Jul. 11, 2011, 02:22 AM
Back when I knew everything, I was schooling my little bulldog QH in Obviously Correct Classical Dressage. Everyone (but me) of course knew this horse should be out pushing around cattle, WP'ing, or at least roping something... but try telling that to a teenager ;) I was CONVINCED that not only was this horse the perfect dressage mount, but we were going to the Olympics. Tomorrow. I suppose one might go so far as to say... I had a chip on my shoulder.

Finally, after much preparation, the day had come. Our first Training Level show. The big leagues!! We were ready. Imagine my surprise when my horse, who never had a stitch of western training in her life, performed a lovely sliding stop at X :lol:

I was mortified- but!- we ended up winning both of our classes that day. And that horse went on to school 3rd/4th level with me.. even gave me my first piaffe steps. But she always has a few antics up her sleeve if I get too full of myself! She's my bestie :)

cnm161
Jul. 11, 2011, 10:36 AM
Loving the bloopers! Keep it up, folks.

Another lovely almost dressage-related tale:
Took my gelding to the vet for routine checkup and teeth-floating. He was sedated with approximately 1/4 of the normal dose of xylazine for a horse his size (17.3hh). I'm standing there, chatting it up with the vet about weather, news, and life in general when the vet tech came in. She comes to a dead stop and takes in the grand view: My guy letting down, drooling, resting a leg, and trying bravely (but failing) to keep his eyes open. "THAT'S your FEI horse????"

Yep. Indeed it is. Impressive, no?

Could be worse... he usually does the same thing as I'm braiding him before showing. Can't braid too soon before my classes or I have to spend all warmup trying to wake him up.

emeraldsilver
Jul. 11, 2011, 11:15 AM
My first dressage test ever, on a mostly-tailless pinto mare named Sunny, featured two minutes of sideways dancing, during which we never actually passed X. Apparently the trailer they were using for a judge's booth was the devil incarnate and had consumed half the arena...

The utter fail of that day was compounded by the fact that nobody had told me I could talk to the judge - just that I couldn't talk to anyone while I was in the arena. So when I thought the judge was telling me to leave and come in again... I didn't ask for clarification. What I did do is leave, and when everyone else had completed their tests, I came in again. Eliminated, of course, but I did manage to get the silly mare TO the judge, at least, even if we were doing lateral movements in a walk-trot test...

2tempe
Jul. 11, 2011, 11:52 PM
No pictures, but for about a year I had a horse who became known as "the nutcase"; he has since been passed along to a younger, braver (or crazier) rider...
At one of our first schooling shows, I took said horse to the grounds evening before, rode him around, no problem. Next day, test time, he dutifully did the halt at X, and whatever else got us back in the vicinity of A. At which time he decided his test was OVER; started bucking, pronging, a rear or two, by which time I was pretty well off center in saddle and missing one stirrup. He then Jumped SIDEWAYS over the ring divider, leaving me prone in the dirt in the ring while he headed off around the grounds. After a discussion w/ my trainer and a bunch of Advil, we led his A-- back into the ring and actually got thru a second test. Wasn't pretty but at least I won in the end.

CDE Driver
Jul. 12, 2011, 02:04 PM
Not me but a friend..... she was an adult beginner, and a fairly tightly wrapped individual ;)

Her first ever test at her first show. She does the whole test pretty respectably and then gets to the last couple of movements. Left at B, left at X, halt and salute at G (or something like that). Well she turned the wrong way at X and ended up at D facing A...halted and saluted. All of a sudden she looks up, whips her head around left and right and can not figure out where she is! The judge was laughing so hard I thought she was going to fall out of her chair!

cb06
Jul. 12, 2011, 07:40 PM
I only have blury (video capture) pics of our little poope'...er...I mean blooper.

At our first schooling show, my new horse evidently deciding dressage was too boring, so during the warm-up, he decided to deposit a little 'obstacle' (http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq288/cb06_photos/poopjump1.jpg)

....so that 'later', he could JUMP it (http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq288/cb06_photos/poopjump2.jpg)! :eek:

How fun! (not!)
...I could hear my friends and family giggling all the way on the other side of the ring.... :lol:

Luckily he has other redeeming qualities (http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq288/cb06_photos/first11big.jpg).

cnm161
Sep. 17, 2011, 09:00 PM
cb06, love that sequence! Some of these things, scores alone cannot explain....

So the reason I resurrected this thread is I just got home from a show with my 4yo pony-- her first ever. Despite the fact that she was nonplussed in the face of tractors and Arabs in costume (dressage show in conjunction with an Arab show), we managed to have some atrocious moments.

Like when she attempted to jump out of the arena at A. Twice. At the canter. Or refused to poop and trot at the same time, and made it very clear that if I pushed the issue there'd be a little pony tantrum (Harmony between Horse and Rider: 5).

And honestly, I've never seen so many 8s crossed out and replaced with 4s.

Those young horses definitely bring you back down to earth...

netg
Sep. 17, 2011, 09:08 PM
Tomorrow I'm riding in a clinic... and there will be video. I'm just assuming right now there will be some interesting clips!

I refer to my horse's behavior away from home as "excessive exuberance." Given he's far better than I deserve at home, part of the improve my riding boot camp includes going away from home as often as possible - to improve my ability to ride that excessive exuberance.

cnm - great that you know the 8s are in there!

cnm161
Sep. 17, 2011, 09:33 PM
Go get 'em, netg! The dressage world can use some "excessive exuberance"-- it's more fun to watch :D

The 8s are in there... tantalizingly close to the surface, only to be snatched away in the last 2 strides of the movements. Well played, pony. You win this round, but next time I shall prevail.

DutchDressageQueen
Sep. 19, 2011, 06:38 PM
Well played, pony. You win this round, but next time I shall prevail.

:lol:

ClassynIvansMom
Sep. 20, 2011, 01:04 AM
Well played, pony. You win this round, but next time I shall prevail.

THIS is quote worthy! I love it!

cnm161
Sep. 20, 2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks, guys! I feel like Pinky and she's The Brain... always a great dressage dynamic.

quietann
Sep. 20, 2011, 10:43 AM
Unfortunately, maybe, I do not have photos of maresy's finest show moments, e.g. her reactions to Monsters at E, or her finest clinic moment, aka "Let's show off our skill at tantrums for LINDA ZANG!"

From the Monsters at E show, though, in warm-up, we did go from Beautiful dressage pony (http://annsrats.com/horses/feronia/july23_2009/trot.jpg) to I really am a Morgan show horse (http://annsrats.com/horses/feronia/july23_2009/trotup.jpg) in the space of a few seconds. I don't remember what happened, but it was definitely my fault.

Bugs-n-Frodo
Sep. 20, 2011, 02:12 PM
I wish this would be been captured on film. I was having a lesson the other day and my friend was to have one right after me. When she took her horse out of her stall and over to the grooming area (these are actually outdoor covered corrals easily seen from the arena) my horse stopped dead. That is his girlfriend and neighbor horse. He can be taken away and I can do anything with him, but usually, my friend and I do not ride at the same time so his girlfriend leaving her rooms is just... well heavens. :eek: So, I urged him forward (and imagine him in deep concentration as he watches her go) and he gives me this little rear and then a buck and kick out. Looked like a little Capriole. It was so unexpected and out of character that both my trainer and I cracked up laughing. He immediately snapped out of it and went on with work, though, he did keep an ear out for her for the next 10 minutes. LOL

cadance
Sep. 21, 2011, 05:02 PM
These are all great to read/look at! I'll have to upload the video of my mare's in-hand trot freak out during the ISR/Oldenburg inspection...

Also, my friend has a facebook page dedicated to horse fails, just getting started but pretty funny: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fail-Horse/151700238189202?ref=ts#!/pages/Fail-Horse/151700238189202

ClassynIvansMom
Sep. 21, 2011, 05:39 PM
These are all great to read/look at! I'll have to upload the video of my mare's in-hand trot freak out during the ISR/Oldenburg inspection...

Also, my friend has a facebook page dedicated to horse fails, just getting started but pretty funny: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fail-Horse/151700238189202?ref=ts#!/pages/Fail-Horse/151700238189202

Haha, I totally just asked if I could order one of those pink Fail Horse tees from her...

purplnurpl
Sep. 21, 2011, 05:58 PM
oh bloopers are the best.
I just looked at all 4 pages worth. lol.

I made a blooper reel that I'm going to link to my website gallery.
:cool:

Everyone should hold on to their bloopers. They keep a rider honest.
http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/2011/08/kaboom-eventing-blooper-reel.html

esdressage
Sep. 21, 2011, 06:01 PM

Oh my gosh, just feeling for you on that one. Sneaky, sneaky :lol:

SnicklefritzG
Sep. 21, 2011, 09:49 PM
I think the comment read "explosive canter depart" :lol:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/19535_228549786204_586826204_3712858_804107_n.jpg

Quote directly from said horsey:

"oh snap! I forgot that the canter pirouettes mean I have to lift my other end..."

GreyStreet
Sep. 21, 2011, 10:32 PM
Don't have any blooper show pics of the mare...however, she is a bit of a pig at the shows regarding her hay consumption...
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/JenNor18/marehay.jpg

That was after she picked up the hay bag, looked at me, and tossed it aside.

Did find this lovely picture of my old guy...just look at that expression ;)...If I recall correctly, I believe he had a little fun on our next canter up the hill. At this point he was about semi-retired and needed to get some kicks, I think. This picture just embodies "coiled spring" to me...

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/JenNor18/pony2.jpg

crthunder
Sep. 22, 2011, 12:10 AM
Here is a picture at one of our first schooling shows.... He wasn't sure he wanted to canter at C so I tapped him with the whip... He didn't approve! My high school students love this picture... "He only has 3 legs!"

http://thumb4.webshots.net/t/85/85/6/1/60/2463601600102987624cgEBJS_th.jpg
Becky

Core6430
Sep. 22, 2011, 10:18 AM
When I was younger I was riding a first level test on my half Arab. At that time it asked for a lengthen in canter from F to M. At F, we go for it... big! We had a beautiful lengthen down the long side, over the rail and off into the field. I was so embarrassed.

At the Arab nationals, I'd made the cut offs for top ten. We were then supposed to ride one last test to determine placings in the top ten (this was first level). There were 2 judges, one at C and one at E or B that were surrounded by huge scary flowers!! Vic and I are cantering and I'm fighting with him to canter past the flowers when he throws out both back legs at the flowers and judges. Needless to say we didn't score so well, but we did get 7th overall.

I took my 4 year old who was 16.2 at the time to a big show. I'm 4'11 (he wasn't supposed to get so big). He was always Mr. happy go lucky, never blinked an eye at anything, kind of guy. We get in the warm up and spent 10 minutes without touching the ground. The best/worst part was accidentally running up the butt of an upper level rider trying to warm her horse up. The look of death she gave me still gives me nightmares. On the plus side, we won the class. Guess he just had to get it out of his system. Haha

Core6430
Sep. 22, 2011, 10:26 AM
At my last dress show, ii was riding a trainin level test with a reader. Well, the part where you walk to x and the back to the same side of the arena, I just plowed right across the diagnal. The judge rings her bell and exains we went off course, I didn't know where I was supposed to be, so the judge is trying to tell me. At this point the judge has me facing the wrong direction and at the wrong letter to restart the movement, my trainer was trying to explain to the judge she had me going backwards, and I'm totally baffled trying to figure out where I'm supposed to go. We finally get it straightened out and I'm trotting my half circle when I swear I heard someone yell at me, so I yell out "What?". Doh. Im pretty sure the judge heard me. Haha.

We all had a good laugh afterward.

helent623
Sep. 22, 2011, 10:28 AM
Our first time out at PSG in the side saddle. Test was going swimmingly until our second 1/2 pirouette, at which point dear Will had a bit of a 'moment' and decided to give me a big middle finger. The tempi changes are our hardest movement, so obviously those were next. Observe:
http://gaylaanderson.zenfolio.com/p345472139/h10936f2a#h10936f2a
Willy has a very high opinion of himself and when changes should (or should not) occur. But apparently the first 2/3rds of the test were good enough to pull a 65%. I thank you, generous judge. :lol:

purplnurpl
Sep. 22, 2011, 10:31 AM
I had a little mare that stopped at X (trot across the diagonal), stretched out and did a full blown dog shake with grunt to boot.

awesome.

amm2cd
Sep. 22, 2011, 11:29 AM
Reading some of these reminds me of my less stellar tests....

I was riding third level test 4 (if I recall correctly). With a reader. Who is on this board (you know who you are!).

Anyway, the rider in the next arena finished her test just as I started my walk work. On her way out of the arena, she came off her horse (don't worry, she was fine!). I saw it and half expected my judge to ring the bell until the loose horse was caught and the rider was helped out. Evidently my reader thought so too, as she just stared at the commotion in the next ring as I meandered around, trying to remember the rest of my test, since my reader seemed to have checked out....

My other epic fail test was all me.
It was third level (again... I'm starting to think that's not my level). The first move is turning *right* after coming down the centerline. I didnt have a reader, and it was my fourth test of the day... I turned left. I realized my mistake half way through the medium, but since I didnt hear a bell or whistle, I just soldiered on, finished nearly all of the trot work. When I did my halt, rein back, the judge at C must have noticed something was up. Bell was rang.

She had me do the second series of trot work... to the left. I finished my test and could only shake my head. Evidently the judge at E had a similar thought, because there were more questionmarks on that test sheet than I ever want to see again.

flash1
Sep. 22, 2011, 11:41 AM
I love this thread...its so nice to know I am not the only one with a " entertaining" horse in the dressage ring....my favorite was when the judge told me " there is clearly something wrong with your horse"...after we cantered the 2nd half of the test....that was years ago...since then we havent done much in the dressage arena....but are venturing in again in October....I'll have to take videos....:)

Aven
May. 1, 2012, 10:12 AM
Long ago (and sadly no pics) I was taking my irish tb mare to her first show in a long time and not all that long after weaning her foal.

Our trot work was looking lovely, but for some reason canter was suuuper exciting. We were supposed to 20 circle at E in canter. What I got was Canter buck buck buck buck, bring her back to trot for a stride. Regroup ANNND Canter buck buck buck.. repeat all the way around the 20 m circle and down the long side till we went back to nice elastic happy trotting.

Repeat for the next canter circle.

Judges comment "well stuck"

AzuWish
May. 1, 2012, 10:30 AM
I realize this thread is old and just got bumped, but I totally want to participate!

Mid test, an alien tried to tractor beam my horse up:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4BcfgHCYnZ4/S8nz7YXWByI/AAAAAAAADH8/-Ni_tFaP-rU/s640/IMG_3291.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--9Cer9hBFpw/S8n0d2d60HI/AAAAAAAADIQ/X5yNB0QRTow/s640/IMG_3312.JPG

This is the test where submission got circled three times ... (she came into season THAT morning and decided her back was not to be touched; normally she's not bad in season but she was that morning!)

dilligaff2
May. 1, 2012, 10:57 AM
From the PONY is a 4 Letter Word files---

This 'was' a flying change 3rd Test 2 with my 14 Yr old Daughter and her 14 Yr old Pony.

The Comment from 'C' was VERY NAUGHTY!, Comment From "E' was 'Expressive, On the Forehand" :lol:

Once the test was done Judge at C, had a laugh with my daughter and commented on the velcro pants. LOL

cnm161
May. 1, 2012, 11:04 AM
Naughty pony! But so adorable...

witherbee
May. 1, 2012, 11:26 AM
I think it is great that so many of the judges have a sense of humor and write pithy comments - especially at schooling shows. My last show, the judge asked me if I was composed enough to continue after my horse was bucking in the warmup. I said "I hope so!". Turns out he bucked AND bolted in the test, so I guess I wasn't lol. I wish I had video of that. I think that I was hitting him with my new, longer, whip without realizing it.

Here's a picture from that show when we were motoring around like nuts.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/wtryan/Jeffrey/STRIDE%20Show%203-18-2012/008.jpg

AzuWish
May. 1, 2012, 01:51 PM
While scribing a few weeks ago, I got to hear those pithy comments in person! Not all of them get written down and the judge evaluated person's age and sense of humor before telling me what to write!

belgianWBLuver
May. 1, 2012, 02:24 PM
I'm having a lesson at a clinic when all of a sudden:
Wait its a bird, its a plane - no its the neighbor putting out his garbage:lol::lol:
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w373/fterry1324/IMG_6842.jpg

OK, whew I stayed on
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w373/fterry1324/IMG_6843.jpg

Now back to work (I'm trying to use to "no emotions in the saddle" thing)
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w373/fterry1324/IMG_6844.jpg

Did that even happen?
http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w373/fterry1324/IMG_6845.jpg

Ah greanbeans - you gotta love em

J-Lu
May. 1, 2012, 02:37 PM
Every now and then, when we start taking ourselves way too seriously, something like this happens:
A: Enter collected canter. X: Halt, salute. Proceed with caution. C: Track left. Pray. HXF: Extended trot. Bonus points for squeal, buck, and explosion (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5361055&l=56c7c3155a&id=500715989)

Or this:
WAIT, WHAT ON EARTH IS OVER THERE? NO WAY CAN WE CANTER PAST THAT (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31901111&l=737c3af81c&id=121201214)

Let's see 'em, people. The reasons that we continue to try to do this sport.

HEY- Courtney, is this you????? You and I were barn-mates in TX! Love the pictures!!!

didgery
May. 1, 2012, 02:42 PM
This thread reminds me of the new sport of Fenssage: http://www.braysofourlives.com/2010/02/new-sport-of-fenssage.html

netg
May. 1, 2012, 02:44 PM
So the September clinic I mentioned had no excessively exuberant moments.

However, same clincian at my house in December... and the fact other horses trailered in set my horse off.

There were lots of trot/canter-pause-little leap/buck- trot/canter type moments.
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/379442_749851364696_510683_34815924_684481528_n.jp g

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/376012_749851509406_510683_34815927_1796766649_n.j pg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/386193_749852302816_510683_34815951_941025361_n.jp g

He also showed great ability to reach with his hind legs:
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/382948_749851304816_510683_34815922_1284773723_n.j pg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/379910_749852227966_510683_34815949_1282101194_n.j pg

Then, of course, there was the Friesian cross who was attacked by a blowing piece of paper. No, I didn't stick the landing. :lol:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/381303_749851958506_510683_34815941_2021962411_n.j pg

The good news is this was a ride with a biomechanics clinician, and having her in my ear on the headset helped me really work on using the specific muscles I needed to learn to ride him better. So the following month when he decided to impress Jeremy Steinberg with an explosive canter depart:
Start:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/395910_763372817596_510683_34882042_1985769394_n.j pg
End:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/395187_763373406416_510683_34882045_940194579_n.jp g
You can see we managed to maintain forward! That was from a video with no zooming, so you notice how far we travelled. And that in the end one my spur is digging into his side, which finally convinced him to return to a normal, 3-beat canter. :lol: This time, using what I'd learned before and with Jeremy's help and encouragement to stay in the canter for the next 20 minutes, it was the last explosion over a two day period, and by the end his tension was gone and he looked more like this:
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/398468_763512637396_1996437027_n.jpg

When temps dropped over 40 degrees in a few days, he did revert a bit to his old explosiveness. Thankfully it was my trainer on him! http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/p480x480/303473_10150822375934180_620149179_11881846_495147 901_n.jpg

belgianWBLuver
May. 1, 2012, 02:48 PM
There were lots of trot/canter-pause-little leap/buck- trot/canter type moments.
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/379442_749851364696_510683_34815924_684481528_n.jp g

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/376012_749851509406_510683_34815927_1796766649_n.j pg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/386193_749852302816_510683_34815951_941025361_n.jp g

He also showed great ability to reach with his hind legs:
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/382948_749851304816_510683_34815922_1284773723_n.j pg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/379910_749852227966_510683_34815949_1282101194_n.j pg

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I didn't know horses could get their legs in some of these positions!!!! Bravo for staying on

cnm161
May. 1, 2012, 02:51 PM
HEY- Courtney, is this you????? You and I were barn-mates in TX! Love the pictures!!!

Totally is! I cannot hide. In related news, Bucky has not calmed down much since the pictures.

netg
May. 1, 2012, 03:02 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol: I didn't know horses could get their legs in some of these positions!!!! Bravo for staying on

He had injured himself a month or so earlier and was sore around his right stifle at the time. I had a vet suggest maybe he needed stifle injections, but follow it with "if he can reach up and forward, he probably doesn't need it and it's just muscular." Those pics were evidence that it was muscular to me. :lol: (And he was showing no signs of soreness by then, either. Just tension which makes him nuts!)

Aven
May. 1, 2012, 05:01 PM
I realize this thread is old and just got bumped, but I totally want to participate!

Mid test, an alien tried to tractor beam my horse up:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4BcfgHCYnZ4/S8nz7YXWByI/AAAAAAAADH8/-Ni_tFaP-rU/s640/IMG_3291.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--9Cer9hBFpw/S8n0d2d60HI/AAAAAAAADIQ/X5yNB0QRTow/s640/IMG_3312.JPG

This is the test where submission got circled three times ... (she came into season THAT morning and decided her back was not to be touched; normally she's not bad in season but she was that morning!)

It is old, but fabulous!

*and for some reason was in my 'new posts' this morning.

amm2cd
May. 1, 2012, 05:15 PM
It is old, but fabulous!

*and for some reason was in my 'new posts' this morning.

Dressage bloopers are timeless! They keep us humble.... And laughing (though maybe not at the time)

rizzodm
May. 1, 2012, 05:38 PM
Everyone is making me feel better. Show this last weekend had a balloon that was floating up then down then up again right by the arena. Pony was going ballistic so I told judge I will be trotting the rest of this test as I value my life. Judge was very nice and let me finish my test in the trot. Second test went a bit better as I did actually canter and maintain some kind of control. Oh well we will try again in June.

abrant
May. 1, 2012, 11:26 PM
I was riding the second day of a two day show, so we hauled in the night before to school in the big indoor, my guy's first show.

I have a horse who is very, very soft and bendable in every possible way. And all those people who struggle who building connection with their horses wish they had one. I wish I didn't sometimes.

So he's freaking out a little, I had stupidly lunged him outside where he was within hearing distance of yes, hogs being slaughtered. But he's a good guy and he always crushes his worries into a little ball and hides them deep inside.

So we hit the warmup ring attached to the larger venue and he's doing pretty good. I take him into the large arena and all of the sudden he's like a fire breathing dragon and he keeps getting heavier and deeper and more forward until I'm sure a COTHer is going to jump out of the woodwork, throw red paint and scream *rollkur!!* which would probably caused my horse to turn inside out and die instantly.

Finally I've had enough and lateral work isn't helping and I sit hard and do the "halt NOW you JERK". And he lets loose this sound which is hard to describe. That screaming noise bunnies make when a hawk is carrying them off? That. Of course, a barn mate is walking by and she loudly asks 'what was that?!'. My best guess is that it was some form of an exorsism. He finely packed worries about everything escaped. He was totally fine afterwards, if a bit forward ( good time to introduce lengthenings I learned).

He was a total champ the next day aside from 'Halt at X, slowly, crookedly back alway from the judge, snort quietly' and 'Spook mildly at sleeping husband camped out at E'

We had a good laugh Sunday afternoon, I convinced my trainer to ride the 25 year old schoolmaster and show off his movements for photos. I've played with him and had fun attempting changes down the centerline but I don't know what I'm doing so he always gives me big flamboyant changes in the front but won't change behind because he knows thats enough to get me to leave him alone for a while. Well, she gets on and correctly schools a half pass into a change and that 25 year old crusty old man *launched* himself into the air, all four legs, rearranged them and came down on the other lead. We had to laugh, horses are full of surprises!

Superminion
May. 2, 2012, 03:56 PM
This thread is just so fun!

My first ever dressage show, I was riding a little paint mare whom I had borrowed from a woman who didn't believe in trimming manes or tails. As we were coming around the corner to head up the long side, the mare's tail got caught in white plastic chain they were using as arena sides. We went from lovely collected trot to a mind blowing extended canter, dragging the chain behind us. We managed to not only dismantle the entire arena, but also take down all the letters that weren't attached to something (so 'C') before I manged to haul her to a stop. We had to cut the chain out of her tail and it was almost an hour before they got up and running again.

It was seriously epic.

belgianWBLuver
May. 2, 2012, 04:05 PM
[QUOTE=Superminion;6290224]This thread is just so fun!

We had to cut the chain out of her tail and it was almost an hour before they got up and running again.
QUOTE]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

WANNA GET AWAY??

paintlady
May. 2, 2012, 04:35 PM
I love costume classes...

Last year I was a monarch butterly -
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/ReganAXP/GracieCostume.jpg

The year before I was an Indian dressage princess -
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/ReganAXP/10WillowWayDressageShow.jpg

Now for the blooper pics...

WHOA!
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/ReganAXP/GracieWhoa.jpg

Buck or Poop - you tell me
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/ReganAXP/GracieBuck.jpg

oldernewbie
May. 2, 2012, 06:02 PM

My first ever dressage show, I was riding a little paint mare whom I had borrowed from a woman who didn't believe in trimming manes or tails. As we were coming around the corner to head up the long side, the mare's tail got caught in white plastic chain they were using as arena sides. We went from lovely collected trot to a mind blowing extended canter, dragging the chain behind us. We managed to not only dismantle the entire arena, but also take down all the letters that weren't attached to something (so 'C') before I manged to haul her to a stop. We had to cut the chain out of her tail and it was almost an hour before they got up and running again.

It was seriously epic.

OMG my son thinks I'm nuts because I'm laughing out loud! Too bad there was no video!!!!

You are a good sport!:yes:

skydy
May. 2, 2012, 06:17 PM

It was seriously epic.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh! I can see it now! So glad you lived to tell the tale! :yes:

quietann
May. 7, 2012, 06:31 PM
Here's mine. Yesterday, the mare and I did our first schooling show "off the farm" in more than 2 1/2 years. She was in heat, we were both wound way too tight, and she was channeling the spirit of her Park Harness champion grand-dam.

This was the Training 2 test. The "best" sequence -- where I actually said "stop being such a goof!" out loud (judge did not hear) was the right lead canter depart, best described as shake-head-and-leap into canter, shy at overturned pylon and switch leads, then switch leads back 2 strides later. After that, the actual circle was pretty nice!

Anyway, here is our slideshow, complete with bloopers. (https://picasaweb.google.com/103634878102801472104/THEFarm06MAY2012#slideshow/5739859046338952610)

The only way to get along with this horse is to have a good sense of humor and good "stickability." She is very catty, handles like a tiny sports car, and can be hot -- but please note that for the entire test, she did the transitions when I asked for them, and stayed pointed in the right direction. Just had to tell me exactly how she felt about it!

cnm161
May. 7, 2012, 07:33 PM
Quietann-- sorry for your rough test... but it's always fun to have some bloopers to share with the class. Maybe that's why amateurs stay in this sport :D

In related news, I had a Dr Jekyll/Ms. Hyde moment with my pony during my last clinic. Things were either 9s or 10s had they been in the test... or she was throwing a little pony fit. Nothing in between. The clinician: "Wow...she should be glad she's got you as a rider. Anyone else would've sold her down the river."

I'm not sure if that's a compliment to my riding, or a subtle dig at my ability to learn. I'm gonna assume it's the first. Makes my ego feel a bit better.

Unfortunately no photos, but just imagine a little black devil in pony clothing playing with a halo, and that should get you pretty close.

cnm161
May. 7, 2012, 07:39 PM
In related news, this (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p480x480/550191_10150886390500990_500715989_11535219_159912 0522_n.jpg) is how my FEI horse feels about Mondays. Check out the awkwardly goofy mane pulling job I did on him as an unexpected bonus.

A better (or worse?) shot is here (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/533266_10150880871920990_500715989_11527073_166248 9523_n.jpg) .

Almost makes you feel bad for the little/big guy.

quietann
May. 7, 2012, 08:27 PM
In related news, this (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p480x480/550191_10150886390500990_500715989_11535219_159912 0522_n.jpg) is how my FEI horse feels about Mondays. Check out the awkwardly goofy mane pulling job I did on him as an unexpected bonus.

A better (or worse?) shot is here (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/533266_10150880871920990_500715989_11527073_166248 9523_n.jpg) .

Almost makes you feel bad for the little/big guy.

snicker. He doesn't look too thrilled!

How big/little is he?

cnm161
May. 7, 2012, 08:32 PM
He's 17.3hh. I'm 5'4". First big show I took him to, a show mom whose daughter was riding a size appropriate horse gasped (as he dragged me around the grounds): "Who would buy their daughter a horse like THAT!?!"

His ground manners have since improved...

Aven
May. 7, 2012, 08:41 PM
Here's mine. Yesterday, the mare and I did our first schooling show "off the farm" in more than 2 1/2 years. She was in heat, we were both wound way too tight, and she was channeling the spirit of her Park Harness champion grand-dam.

This was the Training 2 test. The "best" sequence -- where I actually said "stop being such a goof!" out loud (judge did not hear) was the right lead canter depart, best described as shake-head-and-leap into canter, shy at overturned pylon and switch leads, then switch leads back 2 strides later. After that, the actual circle was pretty nice!

Anyway, here is our slideshow, complete with bloopers. (https://picasaweb.google.com/103634878102801472104/THEFarm06MAY2012#slideshow/5739859046338952610)

The only way to get along with this horse is to have a good sense of humor and good "stickability." She is very catty, handles like a tiny sports car, and can be hot -- but please note that for the entire test, she did the transitions when I asked for them, and stayed pointed in the right direction. Just had to tell me exactly how she felt about it!

Thanks for the giggles. Very cute horse, great captions!

atr
May. 8, 2012, 01:00 AM
Once upon a time I had video of this, but I can't find it.This was a recognized show with a well known judge...

I ride a very loud appy who is everyone's best friend... the announcer (who is a nice lady but kinda bossy) had just let the entire showgrounds know that we were about to enter the ring so we had a substantial audience.

We're tootling along, doing quite nicely, can't remember what test it was, we turn across the long diagonal for the free walk, horsie stops, sighs a bit, ponders for a moment, then poops, sighs again, and heads on his way. (First ride after lunch, apparently the judge had dined well, never even commented and gave me a 7 for the free walk.)

Booming over the tannoy comes the voice of the announcer to her minion... "go out there and pick that up now!" Hapless fellow does as instructed... (So now I'm contending with a non-horse husband with a muck fork wandering around the arena during my test.) The next thing the entire showgrounds is treated to is "well don't bring it back in here, you idiot!"

You know, I can get in enough trouble on my own without Laurel and Hardy joining in...

oldernewbie
May. 8, 2012, 08:26 AM
QuietAnn, I feel your pain. Last show I went to freaked Mr Ay-rab out since they too had the trailers with people in them. Took him a couple of rounds to not be upset. Didn't help that they had decorated with flowers too!

Hang in there - you and she will work it out!!!:yes:

xQHDQ
May. 8, 2012, 08:34 AM
At the show this weekend, my horse (and I since he doesn't go anywhere without me at the end of the lead rope) got kicked out of the warm-up next to the show ring because of screaming - he missed his girlfriend who was in another ring. We got told we were scaring the ponies. Then on our way back to the trailer, we had to pass the indoor warm-up ring and were told we couldn't enter there because of his continued screaming. Back at the trailers it didn't stop but at least we were away from everyone else.

It didn't go away entirely even after a half-hour lunging and an hour of riding (he was nuts). We have it on video during my first canter circle in my test. I'm just happy we cantered!

quietann
May. 8, 2012, 10:32 AM
Quietann-- sorry for your rough test... but it's always fun to have some bloopers to share with the class. Maybe that's why amateurs stay in this sport :D

In related news, I had a Dr Jekyll/Ms. Hyde moment with my pony during my last clinic. Things were either 9s or 10s had they been in the test... or she was throwing a little pony fit. Nothing in between. The clinician: "Wow...she should be glad she's got you as a rider. Anyone else would've sold her down the river."

Actually, I am not terribly unhappy about it. The previous week, I'd scratched at our barn schooling show because the mare was Failing To Cope. She is very sensitive to her surroundings and all those outside horses invading "her" home freaked her right out.

And yes, part of being a "not too serious about it" adult ammy is keeping a sense of humor.

It sounds like my horse and your pony are very similar... very very good, or very very bad with no middle ground!

quietann
May. 8, 2012, 10:53 AM
QuietAnn, I feel your pain. Last show I went to freaked Mr Ay-rab out since they too had the trailers with people in them. Took him a couple of rounds to not be upset. Didn't help that they had decorated with flowers too!

Hang in there - you and she will work it out!!!:yes:

Actually, we did a lot better than our barn-mate, whose mare (a half-Arab) would not get close to the trailer and tried to bolt out of the arena every time they turned away from it. She spent about half of T1 in canter and had about 3 walk steps during the walk work.

We both have a trainer who "thinks like a horse" and he reminds us that the open trailer looks like a cave that could be concealing predators, and while desensitization is nice for us humans, it's not in the horse's interest to forget that caves may contain predators.

(A vet friend of mine says to think of a horse as a half-ton rabbit.)

Part of my problem is that I get nervous and forget my own training when she's nervous -- e.g. we would have had a much better test if I'd pushed her into the bridle more!

xQHDQ
May. 8, 2012, 07:04 PM
(A vet friend of mine says to think of a horse as a half-ton rabbit.)

This is priceless (and so true).

cada931
Jun. 13, 2012, 11:52 AM
Here's mine -

I'm an adult amateur, second year showing my 15yo OTTB - we're both learning as we go. First year at training level, first sanctioned show, first show in outdoor ring.

The bad: first test not going well. Kept telling myself the next movement would be better, but he was craning around like a giraffe. Then he turned it into a freestyle combined test when a canter transition led to a jump out of the ring!

The good: The judge was very nice about it, suggested I go back in and do a circle or two, just to get him back to work. Of course THEN he had lovely moments of roundness, which we're just working on.

My coach said "Nice jump", the world didn't end, and I got it together for the other two tests. Got a 57 and 59 for a 5th and a 4th, better than I expected given the competition. And I rode my last test in the "big" (standard) ring, which I'd never been in before - fun!

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=78d2586075810766&resid=78D2586075810766!132&id=78D2586075810766%21132

cnm161
Jun. 13, 2012, 04:23 PM
First off, I love when this thread comes back to life.

Secondly, good work cada931! It's all about giving the judges something to watch, is my motto. And generally speaking, they need a break from obedient, high-quality tests. Enter at A: cnm161.

myhorsefaith
Jun. 13, 2012, 04:28 PM
Here's mine -

I'm an adult amateur, second year showing my 15yo OTTB - we're both learning as we go. First year at training level, first sanctioned show, first show in outdoor ring.

The bad: first test not going well. Kept telling myself the next movement would be better, but he was craning around like a giraffe. Then he turned it into a freestyle combined test when a canter transition led to a jump out of the ring!

The good: The judge was very nice about it, suggested I go back in and do a circle or two, just to get him back to work. Of course THEN he had lovely moments of roundness, which we're just working on.

My coach said "Nice jump", the world didn't end, and I got it together for the other two tests. Got a 57 and 59 for a 5th and a 4th, better than I expected given the competition. And I rode my last test in the "big" (standard) ring, which I'd never been in before - fun!

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=78d2586075810766&resid=78D2586075810766!132&id=78D2586075810766%21132 (https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=78d2586075810766&resid=78D2586075810766%21132&id=78D2586075810766%21132)

LOL that was a nice jump!

I love this thread!

skippy60
Jun. 13, 2012, 06:08 PM
My friends horse (a hunter jumper horse) doesnt know anything about dressage, so on their first dressage test (intro A) he proceeded to jump in and out of the arena when asked to go along the sides. Alas, no picture, but you should have heard the judges laughing...

J-Lu
Jun. 13, 2012, 09:07 PM
Quietann, picture number 12 is gorgeous!

sophie
Jun. 14, 2012, 09:07 AM
Cada your video made me laugh! I've had the same thing "almost" happen to me with my little Morgan mare, who took the turn and went for the jump, just like your horse, but I was able to NOT get out of the ring. I was embarrassed when the judge asked how old this cute filly was, and I answered, 13...

I've had plenty of bloopers over the years, none are on video tho, too bad. The most recent one, on my current mare (Ottb that I bought at the track and re-trained myself and I am no horse trainer, lol), was about 6 years ago, at a horse trials. She was tense but I was able to keep it under wraps, until our number fell off her bridle. She spooked, KICKED at it, and all hell broke loose. The judge's comment: cute horse, I hope she jumps well? ROFL.

cada931
Jun. 14, 2012, 09:26 AM
I realize now what he was doing - showing me what you're SUPPOSED to do with rails when you're outside :)

A friend suggested Googling "Prix Caprilli"...

Dramapony_misty
Jun. 14, 2012, 02:22 PM
Mine went like this:
Spook at stange thing at A, re-approach the enterance (Intro A)

(Intro B) go ok but tense until right next to the fence which is going to zap him, go ok but tense and cut corners off 'cuz those are scary, semi-relaxed free walk from F-E...OMG! Something isn't right with H...really not right...scaring crap out of him (literally), OMG...aaaannnd channeling a cutting-horse dodge and bolt across the arena!

Judge's comment: Naughty moment. :-P

The fun really starts at the 1:40 mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stg71rG09wo&feature=context-gau

oldernewbie
Jun. 14, 2012, 05:48 PM
Thank you Dramapony and cada for adding to this, one of my most favorite, COTH threads! Welcome to the honorary society of dressage blooperees!

Catie79
Jun. 19, 2012, 04:14 PM
I'll add some more bloopers to the pile. One of our 'off' days early on in the partnership:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAvzgNlWQEc

Go to about 4:20 for one of our more interesting interpretations of an entrance. A plastic bag tried to kill her just as we entered. The princess was in a MOOD and the bugs were just horrendous, so both of our tests that day had a certain tense, rushed quality to them that the judge just didn't seem to like. Go figure. You can't hear it but I was laughing after our entrance and through half of the test. There really wasn't much else I could do at that point.

This is the same mare that had a canter depart that involved all feet up in the air and got the comment 'overly expressive' at a show. I love it when the judges are kind.

But she's gotten much better! Other than the moment at 4:17 when she decides the bug in her ear has to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAwP1KTw5OA

leahandpie
Jun. 19, 2012, 06:34 PM
What an awesome thread. I've really enjoyed reading through it! Here is a photo series from our test where we made an unplanned exit!
http://www.piesblog.com/2012/02/19/i-escaped-the-dressage-arena/

cnm161
Dec. 9, 2012, 02:37 PM
Now, all of you know how much I love a good thread revival (read: a LOT). So here's the belated review of some of our championship moments from this year. Like my ability to ruin even the best trot extension moment (http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/560629_652454310383_61750182_n.jpg).

Or Bucky's WTF IS THAT IN THE JUDGE'S BOX moment. (http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/44210_10151255819385990_1129135913_n.jpg)

Or taking the phrase "flying changes" literally. (http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/485792_652455203593_998196692_n.jpg)

Or the rise of the Dutch Harness Horse lineage. (http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/35507_652455218563_459407408_n.jpg)

I also have a 4-second video of my first GP this year, as filmed by my dad. It's 4 seconds of cursing at how hard videoing on a camera is, accompanied by footage of his feet. Hilarious.

Who else has got some fun photos from the second half of this year?

netg
Dec. 10, 2012, 01:36 AM
Unfortunately we haven't had much of a second half of this year since I have been injured. My left leg mostly hung limply at my horse's side for several months as I tried to get it working again... and the first time I actually successfully put it on my horse, well, he was surprised...
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/545684_872828896736_2016789487_n.jpg

r.j.246
Dec. 10, 2012, 02:18 AM
LOL, I should try to scan a score sheet of mine. It was one of the first times I've done a dressage show and I didn't realize that I was talking to the horse (and probably myself) throughout the entire test. To put it bluntly, the comments basically said shut up, and the judge pulled me aside after and pretty much told me to shut up. :lol:

oldernewbie
Dec. 10, 2012, 01:34 PM
This show season's highlights include my addition of a 10 meter circle in training level 3 - I have no idea why I did that and I had a reader! Hell of it is, I was having a super test to that point and then lost a few points on going off course. :confused:

It was even worse when we got to the end of the year awards dinner and I found out I missed 4th place by .004%! Ack!

Also had a pretty spectacular spook during another good test...!

Both of these moments are on video but they are not very interesting to watch, just to experience!!!!

Wellspotted
Dec. 10, 2012, 02:18 PM
I don't have a picture, but my favorite was always, "halt at X, stretch, pee" proceed working trot.

:lol:

Superminion
Dec. 10, 2012, 02:31 PM
Oh, I'll add a Willow blooper to the stack.

She WILL be a dressage horse one day... when we can walk forward.

http://youtu.be/CzyPQD99Ksw

She gets confused sometimes, but she DOES have an engine. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp5S8JOUTv4&feature=g-crec-u

countrygal
Dec. 10, 2012, 02:32 PM
Terrible quality pic but... This was our first centerline ever at 2nd level and first show of the year. After an epic spook we managed to go off course after X by riding the wrong movement. Still managed a respectful score despite the less than stellar beginning :-P

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/aubreygdavis/spook.jpg

myhorsefaith
Dec. 10, 2012, 04:55 PM
First year showing my 4 yr old Standardbred gelding. He was started in Feb, and by summer I was getting him out and about exposed to various environments- big and small schooling shows, a weekend beach trip - stuff like that.

Schooling show... completely forgot what test I was doing (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-U6nto_kiudo/UDzg7a6FGUI/AAAAAAAABtI/BQTj0EHY0Tg/s1600/trot3.jpg)...can't ya tell? LOL

And another...how are we not falling over (http://horsephoto.smugmug.com/HorseEvents2012/SAFE-Benefit-2012/321-Conceptionbydesign/i-2GDxzBh/1/M/SAFEshow-aug12-321-5-M.jpg)?

ETA... one more...

This was taken the first time I rode him...his trot was so bouncy (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PaW_NUnycmg/T5m8xVJRujI/AAAAAAAABCo/PqPFINZLAMw/s1600/holypoop.jpg)! LOL

Wellspotted
Dec. 10, 2012, 06:18 PM

It was seriously epic.

I know it probably wasn't funny at the time and could have been seriously dangerous but it made me cackle out loud and I needed that! :lol: :lol:

Bugs-n-Frodo
Dec. 13, 2012, 09:27 PM
Like my ability to ruin even the best trot extension moment (http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/560629_652454310383_61750182_n.jpg).

I do not have mirrors at my barn and sometimes I catch myself looking at my shadow for a second to see if everything looks OK... it looks like you are doing the same here. :lol:

Sunsets
Dec. 14, 2012, 02:28 AM
OK, here is me at a schooling show a couple of months ago. As you can see, I have a bad habit of leaning forward when I am nervous. As you can also see, my lease mare was NOT HAPPY about me lurching forward onto her shoulders. I'm amazed I didn't get a buck on that canter depart. It would have been justified.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151599289944498&set=a.154147199497.143834.790594497&type=3&theater

Oh, and my hands were awesome there, too. :disillusionment:

twinlights
Dec. 14, 2012, 08:52 AM
Ok, I'll play! Here is what my GRP did at a show a couple years ago. Extra style points maybe! LOL, so that is what "F" stands for....LOL!
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u150/twinlights/buckatf.jpg

psb
Dec. 14, 2012, 01:42 PM
On funny judge comments, my trainer said that years and years ago, she was riding an OTTB on a windy day. Dressage ring in middle of a huge field, people warming up all around the (distant) edges. Her OTTB bolted and tried to run away. Trainer got annoyed and made her KEEP bolting (careful of other riders and staying well out of the way), would not let her slow down, pushed her on until it was clearly the trainer's idea, not mare's, and mare was completely acknowledging this. Then finally let her stop, dripping wet. They were now on deck. Walked to the ring, entered, did a decent test.

But of course, the judge and everybody and his brother had noticed the OTTB racing around the (distant) edges of the field with the rider occasionally adding comments of, "NO, you B****, you don't get to stop yet! You wanted this, so DEAL with it."

The judge added in her comments at the end of the test, "Interesting warm-up strategy." :lol:

This had me laughing out loud! I can picture and totally hear it!
My horse's and my first test ever... Comments from the judge, lethargic, nice halt. She told my trainer later that day that she wanted to go in the ring and give him a push to get him moving. The only thing we did well was the halt.

Sunsets
Dec. 14, 2012, 02:18 PM
Ok, I'll play! Here is what my GRP did at a show a couple years ago. Extra style points maybe! LOL, so that is what "F" stands for....LOL!
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u150/twinlights/buckatf.jpg

Nice! You look pretty relaxed about it, though. Really textbook "if your horse disappeared from underneath you you would land on your feet" position. :D

cnm161
Dec. 14, 2012, 02:31 PM
I do not have mirrors at my barn and sometimes I catch myself looking at my shadow for a second to see if everything looks OK... it looks like you are doing the same here. :lol:

So you feel my pain! This is (one of the many reasons) why it's hard not to have mirrors...

Bugs-n-Frodo
Dec. 17, 2012, 02:04 AM
So you feel my pain! This is (one of the many reasons) why it's hard not to have mirrors...

I do... I really do. I caught myself looking during my ride today and giggled.