PDA

View Full Version : Who out there rides in a Crosby Sofride/Soft Ride? Where can I find one?

ClassynIvansMom
Jun. 25, 2011, 08:05 PM
I used to ride in a Crosby SoftRide on this quarter pony mare I used to freelease, and I LOVED that thing but it didn't belong to me. Now I'm searching for a good used one just to trail ride in. I don't think I'll get back into eventing (too many bad falls in one day, I just wasn't well matched with the horse I was riding and I wasn't very good at it), but I'd love to have one to hack out in when I'm schooling out on a trail. [edit] I'm poking around on used saddle shop sites like Rick's and Pelham as well as ebay currently. [Any other suggestions?]

GreyStreet
Jun. 25, 2011, 10:53 PM
I used to ride in one and LOVED it. Bought mine used at a local tack shop, but I sold it on Ebay and have seen several others offered for sale there. There is usually at least one or two used ones on Ebay, it seems. You could also try Trumbull Mountain, M&M Tack Shop, Fine Used Saddles, etc.

dogdays
Jun. 26, 2011, 12:07 AM
Don't know where you can find one or even if they're still made, but my husband and I each have one and we love them.
We got ours from Millers Saddlery years ago.

GreyStreet
Jun. 26, 2011, 06:31 AM
They are definitely still made, several websites like Dover sell them brand new. Finding a used one is not too tricky, but you may have to wait for one in your size/tree to pop up on Ebay or another site.

Glenbaer
Jun. 26, 2011, 01:10 PM
I have one I'd being willing to sell. Very comfortable, but it doesn't fit my horses. It's at home in NC, but I think it is the right size-- I'll have someone at the farm check. Send me a PM if you're interested, we can discuss details and arrangements.

Also... are you in need of a horse to go with the saddle? :)

Starhouse
Jun. 26, 2011, 03:10 PM
There's one for sale in MA at a small consignment store:

http://www.horsemans-exchange.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&path=41_47&product_id=53

greyflight
Jun. 26, 2011, 04:11 PM
They are NOT still being made.

I was on the saddle quest this winter, found a used Crosby Sof-Ride that I adored, but was just a tick too small for me. Thought I'd just bite the bullet and buy a new one, but was informed they are no longer being made.

Found a nice one in the correct size on eBay and am now happy as a clam!! Most comfortable saddle I have ever owned, and puts me in the right position, but without all those knee and thigh blocks.

GreyStreet
Jun. 26, 2011, 08:49 PM
Weird, I thought I remembered seeing them in the Dover catalogue fairly recently, but I haven't been on the saddle search for a while. Sad, then.

ClassynIvansMom
Jun. 27, 2011, 08:41 AM
Haha, I have two horses of my own and several others to ride here. Won't be in the market of another horse until after my fiance and I are married and settled in one spot, which means I'll probably wait for a few years until after he's at least finished with his PhD coursework and at least to ABD status. THEN I can look into a 3rd horse for him to ride, or ponies to get working on for my future kids. Haha, I keep telling my fiance that I'm going to buy another little pony eventually and show it myself, then let my future kids show it once it's good and kid safe. Being a small woman, ponies actually fit me rather well! I keep threatening my dear man with giving him little girls who will wrap him around their little fingers :D

ClassynIvansMom
Jun. 27, 2011, 08:44 AM
They're really not making them anymore? Weird, they're still being stocked on certain websites that I came across in my search. Maybe they're not being made and those sites are just selling out of the new ones that they still had in stock?

For example: http://www.sstack.com/product/crosby-softride/
Although when you add to your cart it DOES say not available.

But there are plenty of sites that are still LISTING them...

acoustic
Jun. 27, 2011, 04:14 PM
When you're looking, look for the "Crobsy Olympia" as well. Older version. I couldn't tell the difference. I did love that saddle!

alto
Sep. 14, 2011, 12:32 AM
They are NOT still being made.

Doesn't matter - Crosby will remake any saddle they have ever made to your specifications (ie seat & tree etc), it just takes a while (rather like ordering an Albion, County etc) & price will be MSRP rather than at "clearance".

avezan
Sep. 14, 2011, 12:29 PM
Doesn't matter - Crosby will remake any saddle they have ever made to your specifications (ie seat & tree etc), it just takes a while (rather like ordering an Albion, County etc) & price will be MSRP rather than at "clearance".

Yes! Any Crosby dealer can get you any Crosby saddle made. You would have to inquire about the price.

scubed
Sep. 14, 2011, 01:02 PM
This place appears to have them: http://www.theoriginalhorsetackcompany.com/product-p/71811.htm

ClassynIvansMom
Sep. 14, 2011, 03:02 PM
Hey, this is actually an older thread, but thanks to everyone who has made recent responses :) I actually already purchased a Crosby Sofride for my boy awhile ago :)

scubed
Sep. 14, 2011, 03:08 PM
These threads must be getting bumped by scammers. We shall have to be more careful about checking start dates