PDA

View Full Version : Rules Reminder: Roweled spurs are a nono for jumping phases

sarapony
Jun. 25, 2011, 07:16 PM
I was XC steward at Surefire today. At least 3 people showed up for a jumping phase with roweled spurs. 2 of those riders insisted that they were legal and that they rode in them all the time. The TD's (yes there were multiples - Only 1 was officiating, another was there as a volunteer plus there were 3 learner TDs) had to validate the rules.

The roller ball, aka impulse spurs, are legal. Roweled, either smooth disc or serrated, are not legal.

LookmaNohands
Jun. 25, 2011, 08:11 PM
This is exactly why I read the rule book at least once every year. I have read it about 30 times!

READ IT!!!!!!!:yes::yes::yes:

GotSpots
Jun. 25, 2011, 08:43 PM
Good reminder. But more importantly - thank you for being such an awesome XC steward! Can't tell you how much we all appreciated how organized you were (while staying flexible and letting folks go out of order if they were ready to go), your cheerful humor, and the water bottles during the hold on course. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! (And your colleagues at both dressage and SJ warm-up were equally on their A-game - Surefire had some amazing volunteers out there today!).

retreadeventer
Jun. 25, 2011, 10:12 PM
Good reminder (I also had to get an opinion on spurs with silver rollers, not the impulse but another design) last year in XC warmup too. Thanks for volunteering! :)

sarapony
Jun. 26, 2011, 06:09 PM
And today someone else was bad boy (coughboydcough) and showed up at XC with the wrong spurs. Someone else showed up without an armband.

Come on folks!

Every year I end up impressed with a lot of the pros. Not so much because of their riding, but because of how they treat other competitors, particularly the juniors. Today, one girl was trying to decide if her horse was sound or not. The junior wasn't sure, mom wasn't sure and I was getting ready to let the TD decide. Jennie Brannigan arrived at warm up at the same time, and saw what was going on. She asked the girl to trot off. The girl trotted a circle and Jennie very nicely said "I wouldn't take him" and followed it up with a "there is always another show". I saw Boyd and Phillip give course advice to random competitors that were worried about a particular jump or combination.

Oh and one last plea. For the love of the sport, and in the name of organization, please do NOT go directly to the start box. Please check in with the XC steward at warm-up. My only 'problems' were caused by people who went directly to the start without checking in with me.

retreadeventer
Jun. 26, 2011, 09:02 PM
Well, Sara, I've the minus-armband thing once (or twice)...but hacked back and got it before anyone was the wiser....and the check-in thing has a lot to do with layout, roping or how your warmup is delineated and where start box is located. If you were on the hill with start in the field, you should have been a standout, but you know how they are....focused....on something.....

JinxyPoo
Jun. 28, 2011, 05:24 PM
Sorry to bump/hijack, but would this apply at an unrecognized event as well? I'm a jumper rider doing my first event this weekend :) I know at our unreognized shows usef rules are generally followed. I usually wear rowel spurs but if its illegal ill switch to straight ones!

mjhco
Jun. 28, 2011, 05:31 PM
Are they legal for the dressage phase?

Janet
Jun. 28, 2011, 05:38 PM
Sorry to bump/hijack, but would this apply at an unrecognized event as well? I'm a jumper rider doing my first event this weekend :) I know at our unreognized shows usef rules are generally followed. I usually wear rowel spurs but if its illegal ill switch to straight ones!
Unrecognized events vary greatly in how closely they follow the rules.

But I would go in with the expectaion that rowels are not permitted for the jumping phases.

GingerJumper
Jun. 28, 2011, 05:41 PM
Rowels are legal for the dressage phase, if memory serves me. The new flexi-spur type of spur (or other plastic spurs) are a no-no in the dressage phase.
Jinxy: I would switch to straight spurs just in case. Even though plastic spurs are technically illegal, I wore them at a schooling show in an unrecognized division with a new event horse and no one said anything, but just to be on the safe side I'd switch.

Janet
Jun. 28, 2011, 05:41 PM
Are they legal for the dressage phase?
This is what the rules say.

EV114.5.c. ...Roweled spurs are permitted for the Dressage test (at all levels) and when
practicing/warming-up for the Dressage test. If rowels are used, they must be free to
rotate and the rowel must be round and smooth (no tines allowed).

Janet
Jun. 28, 2011, 05:47 PM
Oh and one last plea. For the love of the sport, and in the name of organization, please do NOT go directly to the start box. Please check in with the XC steward at warm-up. My only 'problems' were caused by people who went directly to the start without checking in with me.

If you were in the "day parking" (behind the vendors), the most logical route took you past the start box BEFORE you got to warmup. But I would think most people know you have to go to warmup first.

Janet
Jun. 28, 2011, 05:52 PM
Rowels are legal for the dressage phase, if memory serves me. The new flexi-spur type of spur (or other plastic spurs) are a no-no in the dressage phase.
Jinxy: I would switch to straight spurs just in case. Even though plastic spurs are technically illegal, I wore them at a schooling show in an unrecognized division with a new event horse and no one said anything, but just to be on the safe side I'd switch.

Plastic spurs aren't automatically illegal.
Yes, the rules say
Spurs must be of smooth metal.
But they also say
Metal or plastic spurs with round hard plastic or metal knobs are allowed (“Impuls” spur).

(This part applies to both jumping and dressage)

GingerJumper
Jun. 28, 2011, 08:22 PM
Plastic spurs aren't automatically illegal.

Huh, seems I misread the rules. Thanks bunches! Love my flexi-spurs, good to know I can use them now :)

Janet
Jun. 28, 2011, 08:46 PM
Huh, seems I misread the rules. Thanks bunches! Love my flexi-spurs, good to know I can use them now :)
Since the rules say two different things, it COULD be interpreted as the only plastic allowed is the "Impuls" spurs.

So take both kinds with you, and ask the TD when you get there.

JinxyPoo
Jun. 29, 2011, 07:15 AM
Thanks!! I will go with the straight ones :)

DoubleDown
May. 2, 2013, 11:10 AM
So I saw this picture with Peter Barry wearing roweled spurs on Sunday. Has the rule changed? I read through the rule book, and while it specifically says that rowels are legal for dressage, it isn't doesn't for jumping.
Here's the photo link-

http://www.chronofhorse.com/photos_videos?page=0&nid=42618

Could he have put them on after his round for the prize giving?

Janet
May. 2, 2013, 11:20 AM
So I saw this picture with Peter Barry wearing roweled spurs on Sunday. Has the rule changed? I read through the rule book, and while it specifically says that rowels are legal for dressage, it isn't doesn't for jumping.
Here's the photo link-

http://www.chronofhorse.com/photos_videos?page=0&nid=42618

Could he have put them on after his round for the prize giving?

If you are talking about Rolex, that runs under FEI rules, not USEF rules. Under FEI rules

538.1.3 Spurs
a) General - Spurs are optional for all three Tests. Spurs capable of wounding a Horse are
forbidden. Spurs must be of smooth material (metal or plastic). If there is a shank it must
not be more than four centimetres long (the overall shank must be measured from the boot
to the end of the spur) and must point only towards the rear. The end of the shank must be
blunt to prevent wounding a Horse. If the shank is curved, the spurs must be worn only with
the shank directed downwards. Metal or plastic spurs with round hard plastic or metal knobs
“Impulse spurs" and “Dummy spurs” with no shank are allowed.
b) Rowel Spurs - Spurs with rowels are allowed only for the Dressage and Jumping Tests and
when practising/warming up for Dressage and Jumping. If they are used, rowels must be
free to rotate and the rowel must be round and smooth (no tines allowed).

Under FEI rules, rowels can be used for both Dressage and SHow Jumping. NOT Cross Country.

DoubleDown
May. 2, 2013, 12:30 PM
Thanks Janet I didn't think about the FEI being a bit different. Duh..... :D