PDA

View Full Version : Eventer undergoing emergency surgery after horse bite

Sandman
Jun. 25, 2011, 10:21 AM
Wow... I hadn't heard about this earlier, but I was shocked to see this H&H article about Italian eventer Susanna Bordone having to undergo emergency reconstructive surgery to her face after being bitten by her horse:
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/competitionnews/391/308292.html

ACMEeventing
Jun. 25, 2011, 10:28 AM
How horrible. So sorry to hear that. Wonder what triggered that kind of respons?

2ndyrgal
Jun. 25, 2011, 11:15 AM
that said, perhaps she did as most of us have done many times, gone back out to the barn late, not turn on any lights, and accidentally startled her horse by throwing on an extra blanket.

Or, and having worked on the backside with more stallions than I care to recall, maybe he's just a mean SOB. I've had charge of many that were talented as hell, but right bastards to work around. I've had blood drawn on my upper arm, through a hooded sweatshirt and a quilted jacket.

I've watched people put a carrot in their lips and let trigger snatch it out.

This is why they shouldn't.

LLDM
Jun. 25, 2011, 12:06 PM
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear this!

There is a possibility that it was truly an accident. I know I've been clocked hard more than once by one of my ponies just swinging around to bite at a fly! Had I been in a different position (like bending over to hook up a surcingle strap) and my face been in the flight path of an open mouth ready to bite that big horsefly, it could have been me!

I do hope she is okay! Big jingles for her! When we work around these big, sensitive beasts all of us will eventually get hurt to some extent. Hopefully, for most of us it will be relatively minor! I don't think most of our horses ever really get how fragile we can be. Just like we sometimes forget how fragile they can be.

SCFarm

seeuatx
Jun. 25, 2011, 12:30 PM
Ouch. Best wishes to her. That same thing happened to a girl when I was in college... it was actually one of our nicer horses, too. He swung around and took a chunk of her lip :eek:

I had one leave a nice scar on my arm while I was doing a last minute swipe with the grooming rag.

Lori T
Jun. 25, 2011, 01:20 PM
Hope she makes a full recovery. I had a mare (not mine) lunge at me as I was standing outside her stall door. Had I not moved any faster, she would have nailed my face. Instead, she got me on the neck, inches from my jugular. Could have been very nasty..thank goodness I had good reflexes!

Carol Ames
Jun. 25, 2011, 10:02 PM
How horrible:eek:; I, too, hope she comes through ok:yes: with lots of support

Sandman
Jun. 26, 2011, 01:19 PM
I've seen the marks horses put on each other out in a field, but somehow it never occurred to me that a person could be hurt so badly by a biting horse. I guess I'm a little naive about that. I will respect those nasty faces a bit more now! I do hope she recovers well and is back in the saddle soon.

Tamara in TN
Jun. 26, 2011, 01:47 PM
Wow... I hadn't heard about this earlier, but I was shocked to see this H&H article about Italian eventer Susanna Bordone having to undergo emergency reconstructive surgery to her face after being bitten by her horse:
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/competitionnews/391/308292.html

that is awful and I wish her the best...but I have more than a few times felt the wind pass my face and not from a gentle summer breeze

Tamara

OverandOnward
Jun. 26, 2011, 08:26 PM
I so hope she will be ok, and the surgery goes well. Don't know what happened exactly, but have seen many a horse abruptly swing around to grab the blanket ... more rarely, the blanket-er. The nicest horse can grab abruptly at something when we are not expecting it. Not to mention the crankier ones.