PDA

View Full Version : Eventing watches

enjoytheride
Jun. 25, 2011, 09:26 AM
My coach suggested I get a watch so I can find the correct speed and be more comfortable at it.

I'm poor, so I'd like something as cheap as possible so I'd like to look at something not specifically made for horse people (always more expensive)

What kind of functions do you need in an eventing watch? Can you get those in a regular watch with a timer?

yellowbritches
Jun. 25, 2011, 09:49 AM
$10 watch with a stop watch setting from Target.

I don't know if I agree that you need a watch, though, for what you need to do...I'd just go out and play and practice going quite forward in your gallop, and bringing it back. BN speed is really just a nice, steady, forward canter.

wildlifer
Jun. 25, 2011, 12:20 PM
Go to Target or wherever and get thee a Timex Expedition or Ironman. They're cheap and easy to use.

enjoytheride
Jun. 25, 2011, 02:11 PM
I looked at the Ironman watches but I didn't see a setting to beep at the minute marks or at a certain minute.

How is the optimum time watch special other then the big face?

Janet
Jun. 25, 2011, 03:33 PM
I looked at the Ironman watches but I didn't see a setting to beep at the minute marks or at a certain minute.

How is the optimum time watch special other then the big face?
On my Ironman, I set it to beep every minute, using the "timer" function". I start it when the starter says I have 1 minute to go. Then I switch to the "chronograph" (stopwatch) function, and start that when he says "go".

It beeps every minute. When I walk (and measure) the course, I figure out where I should be at each minute marker. I rarely actually LOOK at the stopwatch reading except when I cross the finish line.