PDA

View Full Version : Braidng/Schooling Shows

goodwitchhilda
Jun. 25, 2011, 05:39 AM
Do most people braid for schooling shows in the New England area? Thanks

CatPS
Jun. 25, 2011, 09:18 AM
I've been to a couple in MA where everyone was wearing coats and had braided... quite a shock for me coming from the Mid-Atlantic area where schooling shows were more casual.

Lost_at_C
Jun. 25, 2011, 09:23 AM
IME at most larger shows in Northern New England you'll see exactly what CatPS described in MA - same levels of turnout as at recognised competitions. There are always one or two people who go unbraided, but manes are always very neatly pulled and horses are shiny and trimmed. At smaller local shows (think most riders from the same stable or very close distance) it's more casual - if in doubt you can always ring the show secretary to check.

Creaghgal
Jun. 25, 2011, 09:59 AM
Schooling shows are practice runs right? So I'd say it's the perfect time to practice your braids as well.

JLR1
Jun. 25, 2011, 05:26 PM
Agree with Creaghgal....good time to practice and it just looks nicer.

joiedevie99
Jun. 25, 2011, 05:47 PM
Yes- 90%+ will braid and wear coats.

paintlady
Jul. 3, 2011, 08:09 PM
I'm in Northern Virginia. I braid for almost all of my schooling shows. I don't show recognized. I like the way it looks and it's good practice. The shows I got to are probably 50/50 when it comes to people braiding.

SillyHorse
Jul. 3, 2011, 08:12 PM
I'm in Northern Virginia. I braid for almost all of my schooling shows. I don't show recognized. I like the way it looks and it's good practice. The shows I got to are probably 50/50 when it comes to people braiding.
Not being snarky - seriously - but if you don't show recognized, what are you practicing for?

Pennywell Bay
Jul. 3, 2011, 09:10 PM
Do most people braid for schooling shows in the New England area? Thanks

I am not in NE area but when I take my greenies to schooling shows, they are usually not braided. My young ones show on the line so they DO know the drill w/ braiding etc.

For me, the schooling show is Step 2 in their career, under saddle in a ring with more horses as we have a pretty quiet farm.

I say Step 2 b/c we have a few nice local series that we can take them to. I don't have a problem with braiding for them, I just have not, yet.

They are, however, clipped, bathed and shiny with manes pulled and neat.

I think it is personal preference. I have pinned high and been judged fair.

ETA: practice braiding before the show. It is better to go unbraided, with a neat, pulled mane, than sloppy braids.

paintlady
Jul. 6, 2011, 01:28 PM
Not being snarky - seriously - but if you don't show recognized, what are you practicing for?

Just because I don't show recognized now... doesn't mean I never will. Plus, it's a good skill to have... perhaps I can help a friend who does show recognized. I also like the way it looks. We have a ton of schooling shows in my area. Lots of people dress up and braid their horses for schooling shows, so I'm hardly alone.

And yes, you were being snarky! Seriously, why does it matter to you?

meupatdoes
Jul. 6, 2011, 02:27 PM

Riding better?

Putting a skill set on a horse that includes going in a strange ring and laying down a trip?

Putting a skill set on yourself as described above?

Getting the feedback on your training program and level of preparation that riding before a judge provides?

Seeing how you stack up comparatively, both against others and against your own previous scores?

"Not to be snarky", but you have to ask someone what the point of going to a horse show is?
Based on differences primarily in entry and membership fees but riding the exact same tests?

paintlady
Jul. 6, 2011, 03:38 PM
meupatdoes... I believe that SillyHorse was asking why I would practice braiding if I don't go to recognized shows... not about going to a schooling show in general.

I still don't see what SillyHorse's point was exactly. Braiding is a good skill to practice regardless of what type of shows you do.

Kelly in NJ
Jul. 6, 2011, 06:31 PM

Saying "not to be snarky" first doesn't really make your question any less snarky.

BTW, SillyHorse, how many CDIs do you do a year? Do you only show in the CDI-W classes?

I mean, if you don't want to compete only at the MOST recognized level right now, why do YOU bother showing?

Jokers Wild
Jul. 6, 2011, 06:56 PM
I braid every time - to show off my horse's awesome neck - makes him look even sexier and yes, he knows it!

Mostly, I show greenies at schooling shows but want them to have the feel for the real deal - I'll get a stall if available, bathe, braid, etc. By the time the greenie is ready to make his/her licensed debut, the rest is just routine.

Sandy M
Jul. 6, 2011, 07:03 PM
Schooling shows are practice runs right? So I'd say it's the perfect time to practice your braids as well.

Well, I'm not in the NorthEast, so I guess my opinion doesn't really count, but I'm in my 60s, and I've ridden since I was 10. Believe me, I do NOT have to practice braiding. ROFLOL

In general, I don't braid for unrecognized shows. However, my youngster's first show was a recognized one, so, of course, I braided him. When I finally found a schooling show, I did not braid, and was happy for a chunk of mane to grab on occasion! *G* I didn't wear a jacket, either, though I wore my white show breeches, a white turtleneck and a vest. I guess the customs in an area may vary, but for schooling shows here in NoCal, neat and clean, but not necessarily full show turnout is usual. There will always be a few folks in full turnout, though - but often that is the juniors, who probably DO need the practice braiding.

Sunshine66
Jul. 7, 2011, 01:51 PM
I don't do recognized shows either..but I do braid for all of the schooling shows I'm in...(and by the way...I do schooling shows because they are a great experience, fun, and keep my horse ready in case we ever decide to do a recognized show). When a judge gave me a wonderful compliment on my turnout, it made the time it took worth it--even if you don't get extra points.

Miggy92
Jul. 7, 2011, 02:06 PM
You can always ask at facebook.com/proequinegrooms, they have lots of answers

SillyHorse
Jul. 7, 2011, 08:10 PM
Saying "not to be snarky" first doesn't really make your question any less snarky.

BTW, SillyHorse, how many CDIs do you do a year? Do you only show in the CDI-W classes?

I mean, if you don't want to compete only at the MOST recognized level right now, why do YOU bother showing?
No, I wasn't being snarky, but I thought people might think I was. I did not understand why someone would consider braiding to be good practice for something she said didn't do.

How many shows I do and at what level I show are completely unrelated to the topic. I will say that when I show recognized, I braid (and do a damned fine job of it) but I do not braid for schooling shows.

paintlady
Jul. 8, 2011, 09:31 AM
No, I wasn't being snarky, but I thought people might think I was. I did not understand why someone would consider braiding to be good practice for something she said didn't do.

How many shows I do and at what level I show are completely unrelated to the topic. I will say that when I show recognized, I braid (and do a damned fine job of it) but I do not braid for schooling shows.

If you don't braid for schooling shows... that is your choice. Why not just answer the OP original question about braiding for schooling shows? Why concern yourself with others motivatons for braiding? What level of shows I do now or in the future is unrelated to this topic. ;)

SillyHorse
Jul. 8, 2011, 12:57 PM
Oh for crying out loud, I asked what I really, truly thought was a legitimate question. Absolutely no need for you or anyone else to get defensive. :sigh: Carry on.

Perfect Pony
Jul. 8, 2011, 04:26 PM
I have been taught to always braid no matter what! Shoot, in dressage it's so easy, just put in a handful of braids with rubber bands, it only takes 10 minutes. I was used to braiding for H/J schooling shows where the braiding is so much harder!

One thing I don't do unless I am totally forced to is wearing a coat. I overheat in 60 degree weather, so at a schooling show no way in hell I am putting on coat!