View Full Version : Regional breeding programs -which one?

Jun. 24, 2011, 12:53 PM
Thinking of sending my mare off before she foals to take advantage of some state bred incentives. Not sure whether to do LA, PA, NY or something else entirely. She is in foal to Stephen Got Even and I am not that concerned about who I breed her back to - more just how good the racing bonuses are to the breeder/owner and the state bred purses.

Jun. 24, 2011, 01:33 PM
The PA breds were selling well at Keeneland a couple of years ago. Not sure about recently though. Sorry not to be much help.

Las Olas
Jun. 24, 2011, 01:46 PM
Have you looked into Indiana? I don't know the specifics of their program, but from where you're stabled it's a short race and return.

Jun. 24, 2011, 02:42 PM
I don't know the specifics of the Indiana program, but my old BO foaled out a ton of TBs for the Indiana bred program. She got them in from IL, MI, OH, some states out West...and a few from KY from what I remember.

Jun. 24, 2011, 03:08 PM
I have thought of Indiana as we may actually run there this summer. I know I said I didn't care who I bred back to....but Indiana is VERY slim pickings when I look at the leading sires there this year! LA is doable as I like Yankee Gentlemen, Half Ours looks promising, and have a breeding right in another stallion, but I think you have to keep the mare there full time? I very briefly read the rules this morning.

Jun. 24, 2011, 03:10 PM
Well obviously you have to run in that state for the bonuses to be a potential issue so don't foal somewhere you don't want to run. I think PA has the best program in the industry especially if you send the foal out during it's yearling year to get Delaware certified so you could run there for good money as well.

Las Olas
Jun. 24, 2011, 09:07 PM
I asked someone that breeds in that program and I don't think you have to breed back to an Indiana stallion. They said you can have the mare in IN before Nov. 1st and have her there until foaling and the foal will be an IN bred OR if the mare is shipped to IN after Nov. 1, then she must be bred back to an IN stallion for the current foal to be eligible. I would confirm this with ITOBA, though, as I've certainly been given incorrect info before.

Jun. 25, 2011, 09:45 AM
You need to look at the structure and %'s you will get back. They vary and also change.
Right now the state Du Juor is Indina the newest to join.
You need to see how long your mare has to be "in-state" whether you benefit from breeding back to host state stallion?? Some states allow resident mares to breed back to host state stallion every other year etc.
I would check the nuances and also based on your mares foals previous performances decide which state's race program they will benefit from.
PA has a huge amount of foals and those State races fill and can be tough to get into.
Delaware does a certified program..foal in any other state and send Weanling or yearling to a Certified Host Farm for X amount of days so you can run in the DE sanctioned races as well.
W VA has lowest # of state breds and %'s pay well to breeder. Not as good in years past but better chance of getting in those races.
Don't rely on heresay, call each state and get their current written program since they can and do change them...

Check the number of State sponsered races offered @ the tracks as well as State Sponsered Stakes requiring nominations. Horses pre nominated w/ their certs do sell well.

Jun. 25, 2011, 10:59 AM
Thanks. I thought I read on the Indiana website that you had to breed back, but maybe I have it mixed up....I did a lot reading up yesterday on various states and now it's all jumbled up...have pregnancy brain!

Jun. 25, 2011, 12:46 PM
FWIWD..is either call and get mailed ..or.... print them out.

Make a chart w/ days re quired, bred bac, stakes sponsered w/ $$ %'s and figure out what has the best to offer.

indiana will continue to attract new sires for next year. don't look at whats there now but what is there come January 2012 in all of those states you like.