PDA

View Full Version : How about this jock's mounting technique?

Slewdledo
Jun. 24, 2011, 12:41 AM
Impresses me every single time I watch him do it. I wish I could be half that bendy and agile.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dZRpCB6ntY

Beverley
Jun. 24, 2011, 01:06 AM
I haven't been able to do that in close to 40 years.

Hmmm. Wait. Maybe I'll try it on my 14h mare.

sonomacounty
Jun. 24, 2011, 04:53 AM
Nice to be athletic . . .

kewl

Leprechaun
Jun. 24, 2011, 08:22 AM
Impressive! I don't think I have EVER been able to do that but like Beverley, I have a pony, even smaller. I'd be afraid to mount him - I think he might collapse - LOL! I'll leave the fancy stuff to the young and fit. Still very impressive!

Wayside
Jun. 24, 2011, 08:26 AM
I used to ride with a hunter trainer who could do that. He was taller than a jockey, but not by much. :lol:

SanJacMonument
Jun. 24, 2011, 08:27 AM
I can do a rapid dismount that looks like this - only in rewind.

Does that count?

Jun. 24, 2011, 09:03 AM
It's easy to do if you only weigh 90 pounds.

witherbee
Jun. 24, 2011, 10:46 AM
Love the little bounce he takes to start the motion (after the 2 hesitating steps). Like a gymnast. I thought I'd see something to object to as far as landing hard on the back etc, but he is graceful and light as a feather....

Sancudo
Jun. 24, 2011, 10:48 AM
I practiced and practiced until I could do that on my 17.1 hand guy grazing. He was out with an injury and I was bored. Was able to make it a couple times, but not that gracefully. I'm 5'11 and don't quite have the spring he does!

Char
Jun. 24, 2011, 10:57 AM
I can do a rapid dismount that looks like this - only in rewind.

Does that count?

:lol::lol: Can I join your club?! :winkgrin:

DeeThbd
Jun. 24, 2011, 11:04 AM
How about this? :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KZTXfuz3Bc
There is a lovely one - might be Rocketman - where he does it so gracefully.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcLorRtRfYM
When I want someone who hasn't learned to ride yet, to understand how riding makes me feel, that video is something I share with them.
Dee

pnalley
Jun. 24, 2011, 05:32 PM
When I was a kid I could swing up on a horse, but that was a long time ago. Now I can't gracefully mount my 13.1 hand pony.

That second video is really cool. You could feel the canter.

dressagetraks
Jun. 24, 2011, 08:32 PM
I remember seeing the jockey on Big Brown, after he got tossed coming back after the Derby, shimmy himself right back up. I was impressed with the move. Hard to see his preparatory footwork on the ground due to outrider's horse (outrider had hold of BB's bridle), but it sure looked like the jock put himself right back up without assistance. Just like Little Joe used to mount on Bonanza. :D

Cindyg
Jun. 24, 2011, 11:00 PM
I think he found a special no-gravity zone. :lol:

I SO remember Joe Cartright doing that.

These days, I'm lucky to get in the saddle with stirrups and a mounting block! :lol:

Beverley
Jun. 24, 2011, 11:57 PM
When I rode in France our Cadre Noir educated instructor periodically tortured us by requiring us to mount 'the Cavalry' way.

1. Check that girth!
2. Left hand on pommel, right hand on saddle.
3. Jump up, then press yourself up over saddle with arms.
4. Swing right leg over while simultaneously removing right arm from cantle and gracefully land in seat.
5. Pick up stirrups.
6. If not done to instructor's satisfaction, dismount and try again.

And of course I never had anything shorter than 16.2h when we had to do that...

CFFarm
Jun. 25, 2011, 10:06 AM
Oh, there was a time.......but mostly bareback onto a 15h filly..

ReSomething
Jun. 25, 2011, 10:19 AM
Very graceful. Back in the day . . . but still not so lightly - I probably outweighed that jock by 20 lbs at least, and nowadays I might make two of him, LOL.

Brooke
Jun. 25, 2011, 11:35 PM
I was taught to do that as a kid. Used to 'swing up' bareback all the time. There was a 17.2 hand horse that was owned by a pro. wrestler, and he used to have me swing up on him to show his friends. Haven't been able to do that for about 30 years.