PDA

View Full Version : What IS it with day-before-show bad karma?

slp2
Jun. 23, 2011, 10:43 PM
So, I have had SO many instances of my horses timing their injuries the day before a show that it is getting beyond annoying!

My older mare has had years of practice coming up with some mystery lameness right before a show. This year she was being leased by a pony clubber and things were going SO well. The day before their first event this year (and the girls first event EVER) she got kicked in the hock. This was about 8 weeks ago and after multiple vet visits and treatments, we are looking at a long recovery and it's unsure if she will ever be sound again. :no:

I guess since she is no longer showing she decided to pass the bad carma torch to my young horse.

So far, I have had a great spring with my young horse. We did 2 unrecognized events that went SO well. We were schooling bigger stuff recently and she was easily popping over everything. This weekend is our first recognized event and I get a call from the barn owner tonight that she had a "cut" on her leg so they wanted to give me a "heads up". So when I got out to the barn I see 1 leg with a huge gash in it, the other hock is swollen, she has a rip in her coronary band and things are already swelling. And her pasture mate also looks like hell and there is a lot of blood in the mud by the gate.

Poor thing--the vet came out and she is all bandaged up and on antibiotics. Conveniently, they are same antibiotics as my other horse is on for her injury (maybe I can get a bulk discount???) And we are out of the event this weekend. Ugh. At least my young horse is expected to heal fine. But the timing stinks. What is it with the day before shows? I am thinking I should keep my horses locked in the stall for a few days before every event.

SweetieG
Jun. 23, 2011, 11:17 PM
Ughhh! Stinks doesn't it!

My best one so far is day before Area 3 champs a few years back. Get a call from BO. Left hind is swollen. Well that was an understatement! The entire hind looked like a telephone pole. Vets determined it to be a poisonous spider bite. I really wanted to squash that little sucker!

Thankfully he pulled through really well and no lasting lameness. Definitely no show that weekend.

Hope your two get well quickly. Hopefully that's the end of your bad karma for a while!

LookmaNohands
Jun. 24, 2011, 06:43 AM
This is where it is appropriate to LIE to your horse! Tell them there is no show. Tell them it is NEXT weekend (not this one)!

You CAN turn the tables on those conniving beasts!! :D

Duckz
Jun. 24, 2011, 08:38 AM
I am thinking I should keep my horses locked in the stall for a few days before every event.

There's a saying - horses spend 24 hours a day plotting homicide or suicide. Sorry for your bad luck! Before our last competition I kept my horse inside for the night with an enormous pile of hay to keep him occupied. Then it occured to me to close his large window to a) give him one less thing to rub his braids on, and b) to limit his exit strategies should he decide he'd rather be outside with his friends. Let's just say my old horse taught me some lessons.

GotSpots
Jun. 24, 2011, 10:19 AM
I feel your pain! My youngster was all set to make his BN debut when he pulled in out of the field the night before with a gash in his stifle that made the show a no-go. I'm thankful that he's fine in the long run, but I do wish they'd time these for days other than the night before...

MyssMyst
Jun. 24, 2011, 11:12 AM
I know someone who took her mare to her breed association's worlds, and the mare tore a tendon on the way to the ingate (spooked and slipped). Horses are stinkers about injury timing.

Cameraine
Jun. 24, 2011, 12:45 PM
Definetly horses can just suddenly come up with stuff at the worst time. It got so bad with my mare I started seperating her from her from her pasture mate weeks away from the show just to try and keep the injuries to a minimum. It works most of the time as on her own my mare is not as playful as when she's in with our young gelding.

baxtersmom
Jun. 24, 2011, 05:20 PM
I'm with you - lameness suspicious for abscess came on yesterday, with a HT tomorrow. :(

JRG
Jun. 24, 2011, 09:39 PM
I read this last night, and thought to myself "I have two days to get through".

Never fails, the first show of every year I have owned my horse I have had to scratch due to something.

I thought I may have been in the clear, untill I got a call this afternoon...my otherwise dosile animal jumped the gate and didn't clear it. He has what looks like a superfical cut on his leg andI will make the final decision tomorrow, for any residual soreness. So I feel your pain:(

slp2
Jun. 24, 2011, 10:34 PM
It's amazing how many of us have these stories. Thanks for commiserating! I do believe there is a conspiracy among our equines to thwart all of our ridiculous show plans.

At the barn where I board, we have already instituted the policy of never talking about show dates within hearing range of the horses. Today we were scheming about setting up a "pre-show holding area" at an undisclosed location where we would transfer our horses (secretly at night) a few days before the show. They'd probably still figure out some way to break themselves! ;)

Hope everyone's horse heals up and doesn't manage to figure out your next show date.

LookmaNohands
Jun. 25, 2011, 07:08 AM
One thing I used to do before a 3-day (yea, a REAL one) was to skip the last gallop. I had heard so many stories about horses getting injured then that I decided to skip it. You don't gain that much with just one gallop so I decided it was too much of a risk. I am glad I did that!

The worst let down I ever had was when I did "Dressage at Radnor." My horse spiked a fever the morning of XC. That was the most expensive dressage test I have ever done!

It was some dumb virus. He was fine a week or so later.

CarrieK
Jun. 25, 2011, 09:06 PM
:: stage whisper :: psssssst! I don't want to be spelling police or anything, but you really p$ss Karma off when you spell it with a 'c'. So you might be in for another something or other. You might want to make an offering of Chocovine. I'll be waiting by my mailbox for that offering...

slp2
Jun. 25, 2011, 09:50 PM
CarrieK-- heh, heh. An offering is headed your way. Carma or Karma--they both suck when they are of the bad variety.

I went and volunteered to help out today at the event. Thought it would make me feel better, but it didn't. At least I did something productive with my unexpected gift of time.