PDA

View Full Version : Jingles for Vernon

yellowbritches
Jun. 23, 2011, 10:40 PM
I went to say good bye to Vernon late this afternoon, and instead found him feeling very under the weather with a fever. My "early" day (having been at the barn late all week) ended three hours later after an emergency vet visit, alcohol baths, a hand graze, and a tuck back into his stall with soaked hay and wrapped legs (which were stocking up from the fever).

Hoping it is just a little virus, but treating it like Potomac Horse Fever (which he is vaccinated for). Poor guy has had a big, busy week, and this is just the icing on the cake for him. I'm feeling bad, as I just thought he was tired today...three days in a row he got pulled out of his stall and hauled over to the ICP evaluation site as a test horse. Figured he was just having a nice, sleepy, groggy day, until I realized how hot and dull he was.

Send him your healing thoughts, please. :(

clivers
Jun. 23, 2011, 10:43 PM
Healing Thoughts on their way from Ontario!!! Get well soon Vernon!

Duckz
oh no! poor guy, sending jingles your way :(

AKB
Think about tick borne disease, too. We had lots of ehrlichia in our part of Northern VA last summer. I'm sure my neighborhood made the doxycycline manufacturers rich. Multiple horses developed fevers, and rapidly got better on doxycycline/tetracycline. We aren't supposed to have a lot of it in our area, but we certainly did last summer.

I hope Vernon feels better soon.

B Street Tango
Jun. 23, 2011, 11:02 PM
Jingling for a speedy recovery for Vernon!

BigRuss1996
Jun. 23, 2011, 11:02 PM
It does sound like Erlichia (sp?)....I had a horse 2 summers ago get it. If his fever spikes again after drugs etc wear off after going back to normal I would have your vet consider it.

deltawave
Jun. 23, 2011, 11:14 PM
Hoary alyssum?

Big jingles for handsome Vernon. :(

shea'smom
Jun. 23, 2011, 11:18 PM
Jingles!!!!!! No sick babies! My youngster scared me to death last year with enteritis, but he was fine after some tetracycline.
Good luck!

yellowbritches
Jun. 23, 2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks, everyone. Tick borne would make sense...if I ever found a tick on him!!! Not that it isn't possible to miss them, but I NEVER find ticks on any of our horses (except for the occasional one I rinse off after a hack that don't get a chance to dig in). He got hit with massive IV antibiotics this evening (something in the oxy family) and starts doxy with breakfast, so he should be covered for just about any nasty bug. Also running a CBC, etc.

My late night check in with the farm owner said he was quiet and happy when he looked in on him...really hating not living on the farm tonight. :no:

BasqueMom
Jun. 23, 2011, 11:25 PM
More jingles!

ACMEeventing
Jun. 23, 2011, 11:27 PM
Jingles and all fingers and toes crossed.

sch1star
Jun. 23, 2011, 11:34 PM
Jingles for Vernon! Glad he's feeling better at night check and hoping you see even more improvement in the am.

Eventcrazy
Jun. 23, 2011, 11:41 PM
Jingles for Vernon!!!

Janet
Jun. 23, 2011, 11:41 PM
More jingles here.

happyhaffiehaley
Jun. 23, 2011, 11:42 PM
Jingling from Wisconsin! I hope the poor guy has a speedy recovery!!!

retreadeventer
Jun. 23, 2011, 11:48 PM
May jingles. My SO is currently recovering from erlichiosis, nearly shut down his kidneys, a week in hospital with attendant heart A-Fib, so I am jingling for even that remote possibility...bad stuff.

fooler
Jun. 24, 2011, 02:59 AM
Jingles for Vernon - hoping he is rattling the feed bucket in the AM!

FLeckenAwesome
Jun. 24, 2011, 04:06 AM
Adding more jingles and prayers for Vernon.... sick ponies are so not fun!!!

Leprechaun
Jun. 24, 2011, 06:29 AM
Jingles from MA!

BigRuss1996
Jun. 24, 2011, 08:15 AM
Jingles for Vernon ...hope he's feeling better this morning!
-for what it's worth I never found a tick on my guy either (before he was sick or since)

Thanks, everyone. Tick borne would make sense...if I ever found a tick on him!!!:

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 24, 2011, 08:31 AM
I would still bet on something tick born. I've had several horses spike those fevers and with treatment recover well...and never ever find a damn tick but I know they are around.

Jingles for a quick recovery! It is always hard to see them feeling so bad....

WNT
Jun. 24, 2011, 08:34 AM
Jingles for Vernon, and a fever in this miserable hot steamy weather just adds insult to injury. Sounds like you've covered all the bases though, so I hope he feels better soon!

frugalannie
Jun. 24, 2011, 09:03 AM
Jingling for Vernon and you, too, Amanda.

I'd definitely suspect Erlicchia, even if you didn't find a tick. Do you have those nasty little (very little) deer ticks in your area? But no matter what the etiology, you've got good antibiotic coverage, and I hope he's feeling much better very, very quickly.

riderboy
Jun. 24, 2011, 09:08 AM
Southern Indiana jingles!

Heliodoro
Jun. 24, 2011, 09:14 AM
Sending some well deserved jingles to Vernon!

Xctrygirl
Jun. 24, 2011, 09:42 AM
Sending jingles to Vernon to feel much better.. and jingles to Toby for being a patient pony while you worry about Vernon, and jingles to Stella to remember to give mom extra kisses while you're going through all this.

~Emily

RunForIt
Jun. 24, 2011, 09:48 AM
jingles and sure hope your next post has a bunch of happy faces attached! :cool:

monstrpony
Jun. 24, 2011, 09:51 AM
More jingles. Yuck!

IFG
Jun. 24, 2011, 10:30 AM
Poor Vernon and Amanda. Many jingles for a quick recovery.

Auburn
Jun. 24, 2011, 10:32 AM
Jingling in KY. Vernon was my maiden name, so I love his name. I pray that the fever will be gone today.

goodmorning
Jun. 24, 2011, 10:58 AM
Sending healing thoughts to Vernon - does sounds a lot like some tick disease, hoping he's on the road to recovery :yes:

LSM1212
Jun. 24, 2011, 11:48 AM
Sending jingles from KY!

Jun. 24, 2011, 12:32 PM
Very scary! Lots of jingles!

Polydor
Jun. 24, 2011, 12:36 PM
Big jingles for Vernon!

P.

Beam Me Up
Jun. 24, 2011, 12:57 PM
Is he doing better today? Fingers crossed!

FWIW my horse that had ehrlichia got it outside of bad tick season (August) and went from a normal ride to 105 fever, shaking, unable to urinate in about an hour, and back to nearly normal the following day after the vets' antibiotic dose. It's crazy fast . . .

ctanner
Jun. 24, 2011, 01:17 PM
Jingling from Arizona!

eventerwannabe
Jun. 24, 2011, 03:28 PM
Many jingles for Vernon!!! Hope you feels a lot better really soon.

OTTB FTW
Jun. 24, 2011, 03:37 PM
Jingles!! keep us posted

scubed
Jun. 24, 2011, 04:55 PM
Lots of jingles for Vernon

SecondInCommand
Jun. 24, 2011, 05:08 PM
Jingles for your handsome boy!

CookiePony
Jun. 24, 2011, 10:51 PM
Sending jingles... any updates?

maxxtrot
Jun. 24, 2011, 11:08 PM
also sounds tick bourne to me as well. jingles from florida

shea'smom
Jun. 24, 2011, 11:26 PM
Jingle, jingle and news?

yellowbritches
Jun. 25, 2011, 09:57 AM
Holy moly!!! I was away from the computer all day yesterday, and was NOT expecting to find 3 pages of jingles for Vernon this morning!!!

Yesterday started out a little rough....very droopy, but no fever. A lot of laying down and resting, no real appetite (he'd eat his grain, but not his hay), and was just generally quiet. He was like that for about half the day, then it was as if someone flipped a switch, and Vernon was back!!!

The vet and I discussed turning him out, which she was all for, except alone. I couldn't easily do it, so opted to tuck him in to his stall again. I left him for a couple of hours, and when I came back to temp him again and take him out to hand graze, we so very much Vernon, I couldn't stand it, and let him go out with Toby (who missed his "brother" A LOT. When he saw us coming through the gate, he leaped up in the air, and RAN to/over us in happiness). Last I saw him, he was goofing off as a couple of us rode the ponies by their pasture during a late night bareback ride (possibly margarita induced silliness ;)).

Haven't gone out to see him just yet, but will go in a bit. The jingles seemed to have helped!

B Street Tango
Jun. 25, 2011, 10:10 AM
Great news! And what a relief! Will continue to think good thoughts that he stays on the wellness path.

Wheel Whip
Jun. 25, 2011, 11:25 AM
Excellent! Having dealt with some form of PHF or Erlichia every year for the past several, ask your vet about putting Vernon on a low dose of Previcoxx for 30 days. The vets in this area have started adding the anti inflam to their protocol to prevent the "rebound laminitis". Mine have all recovered nicely and without complications. Your quick action saved a big "horspital" bill!

AppJumpr08
Jun. 25, 2011, 01:05 PM
A bit late to the party, but continuing jingles for Vernon - so glad to hear he's better!!!

judybigredpony
Jun. 25, 2011, 02:52 PM
Jingles..and happy recovery..FYI...Vaccinating against Potomac Fever does NOT insure your horse won't get..just the few strains the vaccination covers...

Good you caight Vernon so quickly....