PDA

View Full Version : Poponcini bits-- where to find

DharmaO
Jun. 23, 2011, 08:32 PM
A student of mine who has just returned from a working student position in Europe came home with a Poponcini bit-- they are apparently made in Italy. It has the most amazing mouthpiece-- it is incredibly soft and elastic, and my fussy sensitive mare is like a changed woman with it on. I am trying to find one to purchase, but the only websites I can find are in Italian! Can anyone help me?

acoustic
Jun. 23, 2011, 09:08 PM
I looked as well for you but got the same results. All Italian! I did get to see a photo of it though and it looks neat, I'd love to feel it in my hands. I am always on the lookout for the gentle bits.

Anyway, I digress. I hope someone else can perform better than I did. :D

Blugal
Jun. 23, 2011, 09:44 PM
Here is the catalogue (http://it.poponcinibits.com/images/pdf/catalogo_ita.pdf).
They have a phone number listed on the catalouge, and since their english-language website is under construction, you can assume that someone at that phone number will speak English. (Generally, anyone under 35 in western european countries will speak passable English.)

kinnip
Jun. 23, 2011, 09:46 PM
Those look very cool. I wonder how the one with part metal/part plastic works.

jn4jenny
Jun. 23, 2011, 10:12 PM
If she liked those, you might try a Nathe or a Herm Sprenger Duo. They are the same concept: very soft and elastic. In fact the Nathe bits look almost exactly like the ones in the linked-to catalog.

kinnip
Jun. 23, 2011, 10:59 PM
I'd be willing to wager that ridge at the corner of the mouth gives it a little more effect.

cocomo
Jun. 24, 2011, 07:14 PM
These bits are wonderful. I just came back from Belgium where we used this bit for a horse competing at Badminton. He was totally calm when he was ridden in this bit. It gives you a great feeling when you ride. Even with pull-y horses, they don't pull but it keeps the same power. I have brought 2 home with me to sell. They come in black and light blue. Full cheek, baby pelham, loose ring - small/large rings - , and gag. They are priced at 122.5 euros which is about $174. I would highly recommend them. They are amazing.

Fancy That
Jun. 25, 2011, 01:30 AM
Those look really cool! I actually just ordered a Nathe bit because I've always wanted to experiment with a softer bit, and I don't care for Happy Mouths or the big volcanized rubber bits.

I'm wondering what that little ridge/outer edge does. Doesn't look big enough to act like a "cheek", but seems like it might be there to protect the outerlips a little, from pinching maybe?

Neat!

poponcinibits
Nov. 3, 2011, 01:32 PM
Thank you very much for your appreciations!
We, at Poponcini Bits, have just launched our new website. All products' sheets are available in italian, english, german and french.
www.poponcinibits.com

Many thanks again.

kinnip
Nov. 3, 2011, 01:36 PM
Very nice. My cribber would think he'd died and gone to heaven if I put a wooden bit in his mouth.

poponcinibits
Nov. 3, 2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks kinnip, waiting for your opinions ;)

Fillabeana
Nov. 3, 2011, 08:11 PM
I don't need a soft-mouth bit, but I love the 'trucks', tack-trunk-on-wheels. A little spendy, but probably very handy for traveling and competing.

notsureyet
Nov. 3, 2011, 08:23 PM
I love the website with some sort of auto-translation to english:

"The horse in freedom maintains to the lips sluices, not there is air passage in mouth and the language is retired."

Er, yeah!

kinnip
Nov. 3, 2011, 08:33 PM
And for the win...Does anyone know if these are dressage legal? They have precisely the type of Baucher I've been searching for, but I suspect the ridges are illegal.

poponcinibits
Nov. 7, 2011, 06:53 AM
We can assure you that these type of bit is absolutely legal for dressage purposes. The only problem could be the presence of the two little washers.
These items could be removed if specified when ordering.

@notsureyet:sorry for the mistake, we have just modified the bad translation.

invinoveritas
Nov. 7, 2011, 07:53 AM
We can assure you that these type of bit is absolutely legal for dressage purposes. The only problem could be the presence of the two little washers.

Don't worry about the translation. We americans think everyone else should learn english while we don't learn other languages. We should be able to speak and read foreign languages without having to have everything translated for us.

kinnip
Nov. 7, 2011, 08:28 AM

I'm very glad to hear that. Thank you.

kerilli
Nov. 11, 2011, 06:19 AM
please will anyone who has one of these, or has seen one in the flesh, tell me whether they're softer/squidgier than the nathe bit? i'm desperate to try one on a rather hysterical mare. thankyou.

Equibrit
Nov. 11, 2011, 11:53 AM
Just click on the Union Jack (top right hand corner) for English.

Fancy That
Nov. 14, 2011, 08:07 PM
please will anyone who has one of these, or has seen one in the flesh, tell me whether they're softer/squidgier than the nathe bit? i'm desperate to try one on a rather hysterical mare. thankyou.

I'm wondering the same thing. I love the Nathe because it is so bendable/flexible and is softer and thinner than the Happy Mouths.

This one looks maybe a touch thinner than a Nathe? Looks almsot the same diameter, but I'd like to knwo how soft/squidgie/flexible it is, too.

poponcinibits
Nov. 16, 2011, 07:15 AM
Ours bits are softer than the nathe bit.
At the moment in USA we have two customer that sells our bits:

Allone Equestrian USA
Alejandro Meeks
97 Matisse Circle
Aliso Viejo, Ca. 92656
U.S.A.

Rich Fellers Stables, LLC
RD Sherwood
Grahams Ferry
23750 or 97140 United States
SW USA

vineyridge
Nov. 16, 2011, 01:30 PM
Does anyone know if this bit has something like a steel cable in the center? I can't help but remember a BIG SJ competition several years ago where the rider's plastic bit broke in the middle. I seem to recall it was McLain Ward, but it might have been Chris Kapler--and I'm thinking it was the Athens Olympics. But my memory is weaker than it used to be. ;)

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 16, 2011, 04:50 PM
Does anyone know if this bit has something like a steel cable in the center? I can't help but remember a BIG SJ competition several years ago where the rider's plastic bit broke in the middle. I seem to recall it was McLain Ward, but it might have been Chris Kapler--and I'm thinking it was the Athens Olympics. But my memory is weaker than it used to be. ;)

According to the web site it does...but all bits can break. I've known a few who have had that happen.

They look like nice bits. I have an HS Duo and these look similar but still a bit different. I may need to order one or two--never hurts to have more in the tool box. I think my big chestnut horse would like the pelham...I have him in a rubber dog bone one now for xc...but this one looks like something he would like even better (he's a picky boy).

The spurs look cool too (interchangable) and I love that rolling trunk.

wildlifer
Nov. 16, 2011, 05:20 PM
Wow, I would love to try one of these. Must start playing lottery...

poponcinibits
Nov. 17, 2011, 09:14 AM
Harmony is a type of bit created as a thread race
The thread Harmony series is constituted from a steel cable with to the extremities a brass ear-ring, a first covering in plastic material that of it determines the rigidity.
Harmony A - Harmony 1 - Harmony 2
All it comes strained in only fact by hand in its kind with a special one stirs siliconica non-toxic and apt to assure to your horse the maximum confort.