PDA

View Full Version : Working Student and Amateur Rider Qualification?

sarah88
Jun. 23, 2011, 06:34 AM
Hey- Just wondering if I can still be considered an Amateur if I am a working Student? I make Zero money...in exchange for work I have board and lessons. I pay for my own housing. How does this (if at all) affect my amateur status? I found the rule a bit confusing to read through... Thanks!

Duckz
Jun. 23, 2011, 06:40 AM
Any payment, whether cash or in-kind, for teaching lessons or riding horses, will void your amateur status. If you're just doing barn work I think you're ok. If you're riding any horse other than your own, or if you're teaching any lessons, no amateur status.

Do a search in the hunter/jumper forum for long, intense threads on this topic ;) It's been hashed out multiple times over multiple pages.

Janet
Jun. 23, 2011, 08:15 AM
Horse board is considered remuneration.

So if you are riding, training, or teaching horses other than your own at the barn where you are a working student, you are no longer an amateur.

There have been at least two working students written up in the back of the magazine ( I forget if it was suspension or just a fine) for competing as amateurs when they had been riding other horses at the barn.

secretariat
Jun. 23, 2011, 01:11 PM
I believe there's a $$ threshold now, not just "any remuneration." $2K sticks in my mind, but it should be easy to find.

Highflyer
Jun. 23, 2011, 01:16 PM
I believe there's a $$ threshold now, not just "any remuneration." $2K sticks in my mind, but it should be easy to find.

Not anymore, nope.

Janet
Jun. 23, 2011, 01:26 PM
Not anymore. It was only for eventing and it lasted a year, maybe two.

ponysize
Jun. 23, 2011, 04:29 PM
Yep, the rule is across the board. Even though money isn't exchanging hands, you are still getting "paid" the equivalent value of your board and lessons to do those activities.

If all you were doing was mucking stalls, etc. and not riding or exercising any other horse in that barn or teaching any lessons, then you would still be an amateur.