PDA

View Full Version : Tornado at Churchill Downs

RedMare01
Jun. 22, 2011, 08:26 PM
I'm here in Louisville...the news is reporting that a tornado touched down at Churchill and did damage. They are saying multiple roofs are off the barns and one of the gates is damaged. Jingling for everyone and hope all is well. :(

Caitlin

Peg
Jun. 22, 2011, 08:36 PM
Ii'm in Shelbyville, Ky, waiting for the storm to hit. Prayers for everyone in the storm's wake.

RedMare01
Jun. 22, 2011, 08:42 PM
Hope all is fine for you, Peg. I had just left Oxmoor and barely beat the storm home...I'm over on the Indiana side of the river and we didn't get the bad part earlier, but it's now green outside....

The Churchill backside sounds like it has pretty significant damage from the news reports.

Caitlin

moxalot
Jun. 22, 2011, 09:03 PM
Hope both of you are ok...

Scary storms this spring...

May the clouds stay where they're supposed to...

Hoping all are ok at Churchill Downs...

Sarah

CobJockey
Jun. 22, 2011, 10:01 PM
Here's the article with a picture of the damage. (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/63692/tornado-hits-churchill-downs) No injuries reported at this time.

tradewind
Jun. 22, 2011, 10:14 PM
I will keep all in the tornados path in my prayers. I had a small one hit my farm, the one horse has not been the same since. We had really minor damage. I can only imagine an event like this happening at the track or similar large facility. Must be so terrifying for people and horses alike.

Glimmerglass
Jun. 22, 2011, 10:21 PM
AP/Garry Jones - Image (http://media.kentucky.com/smedia/2011/06/22/21/59/793-OURRZ.AuSt.55.jpg) "A barn occupied by trainer William "Jinks" Fires at at Churchill Downs is seen severely damaged"

Kentucky.com AP "Tornado hits Louisville near Churchill Downs" (updated 10pm EST (http://www.kentucky.com/2011/06/22/1785461/weather-service-confirms-tornado.html)

At least five barns were damaged and horses were running loose Wednesday at Churchill Downs, home of the Kentucky Derby, after a powerful storm that spawned tornadoes blew through Louisville.

Officials have no immediate reports of injuries to humans or horses.

The National Weather Service said radar was tracking a confirmed tornado near the famed track and the University of Louisville campus about 8:10 p.m. Though no races are run on Wednesdays, there was simulcasting of races elsewhere, so people may have been there, said track President Kevin Flanery.

Churchill Downs spokesman Darren Rogers says at least five barns had roof damage and the chapel was hit. The barn damage was on the backside of the track where workers live in the dorms, Flanery said.

"It's a hell of a mess back here," said John Asher, spokesman for Churchill Downs.

The iconic twin spires above the clubhouse overlooking the finish line were not apparently damaged, Flanery said.

"Clearly we've got several barns with significant damage and we're just trying to make sure people and the animals are safe first," Flanery said.

Security guards were turning away reporters, citing danger from the loose horses. Vans were being brought in to move horses out of torrential downpours, and at least one barn was flooded by a water main break, Asher said.

DRF - "Churchill Downs backstretch, grounds damaged by storm; Thursday racing canceled" (http://www.drf.com/news/churchill-downs-backstretch-grounds-damaged-storm-thursday-racing-canceled)

According to Twitter reports from Churchill Downs publicist Darren Rogers, at least five Churchill barns, including barns 5, 15, 23, 24 and 40, suffered roof damage. There was also damage to the track chapel, downed trees on the property, and a broken water main.

Thankfully no injuries to horse or human.

Mardi
Jun. 22, 2011, 11:04 PM
Just saw this on the TV as breaking news.

Hope all remain safe.

brightskyfarm
Jun. 22, 2011, 11:36 PM
photo and story -- barn destroyed
http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/155822/158/Tornado-Hits-Louisville-At-Churchill-Downs-

Falconfree
Jun. 22, 2011, 11:37 PM
Stay safe everyone.

SimpsoMatt
Jun. 23, 2011, 12:00 AM
Local newspaper is reporting that all loose horses have been secured, and are being moved to safe locations. No reported injuries to humans or equines

foxhavenfarm
Jun. 23, 2011, 12:45 PM
Seems to be an absolute miracle that no horse or person was injured, judging from the pictures of the most impacted barn. The community pulled together so fast - just as is normal in the horse community confronting an emergency. So proud of everyone there.

MyssMyst
Jun. 23, 2011, 05:58 PM
Wow, it's a miracle everyone is safe, that one barn looks awful.

Glimmerglass
Jun. 23, 2011, 06:28 PM
Yet Churchill Downs will be open for Downs After Dark tomorrow (Fri) night:

As part of the “Pony Up For Charity” promotion, customers may elect to ask their server to add or “Pony Up” a dollar or more to their food and beverage tab at Friday’s Downs After Dark event. Customers who “Pony Up” will receive a commemorative sticker, “I PONIED UP FOR CHARITY” with the Churchill Charities black and red horse head logo.

Churchill Charities had partnered with New Vocations Racehorse Adoption Program to serve as the beneficiary for the June 24 “Pony Up For Charity” fundraiser, but as a result of the needs created by the tornado damage, will dedicate this Friday night’s proceeds to storm victims. Churchill Charities will designate the July 1 Downs After Dark “Pony Up for Charity” event to benefit the New Vocations program.

The June 24 Downs After Dark program is titled “Cool Summer Nights.” Grandstand admission gates will open at 4 p.m. EDT, and the first of 11 live races will begin, as scheduled, at 6 p.m. Churchill Downs will host the second of three special Downs After Dark Presented by Budweiser Select nighttime racing programs, which have been described as a perfect blend of an upscale night on the town with the excitement of Thoroughbred racing. A crowd of 23,332 attended the summer season’s debut on Friday, June 17.

The featured “Cool Summer Nights” theme will highlight cool blue and turquoise colors with water and lit star shapes featured throughout the facility. The featured entertainment will be an appearance by DJ Rap, considered by some critics as the top-rated female DJ in the world, who will spin tunes in the paddock area from 9 p.m. until the party concludes at midnight.

As an aside Dublin (http://www.drf.com/news/churchill-downs-dublin-scratch-out-kellys-landing-here-comes-ben-eyes-repeat), last seen running the Preakness Stakes 2010, was supposed to make his 1st race return tomorrow night at Churchill but it was nixed.

Zu Zu
Jun. 23, 2011, 08:45 PM
Jingles for ALL INVOLVED ~

SanJacMonument
Jun. 24, 2011, 08:35 AM
Yes, good jingles!

What beautiful barns they had. And about 100 workers that lost living quarters. It is a miricle that no horse or human lost a life.

Noticed there is a chapel on the property that also had some roof damage. I bet there were a lot of Prayers of Thanks in there yesterday.

What professionals to start training back up today. Life does move on.