PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever accused you of "horse abuse" just for being an eventer?

solstince
Jun. 22, 2011, 05:39 PM
I posted a picture of a horse jumping an huge Advanced ditch with a high brush, he has beautiful form and is obviously in the middle of clearing it with ease.

My roommate, who doesn't know much about horses other than riding them on ranches occasionally posted, "Not to get all PC on everyone, but seriously how is this not animal cruelty?"

When I read that my heckles got raised and I wanted to immediately write a response, but she's the kind of person that judges something and its almost impossible to change her mind. I'm not going to get sucked into fighting with her over the Internet. But I'm not really sure how to talk to her about it in person...I feel really offended. On the one hand, how dare she call my Sport & Passion (and she KNOWS that Eventing is my passion) abuse so casually? :mad: On the other, Eventing IS dangerous for both horse and rider. I can't exactly try to tell her that it isn't. I have a feeling if it was a picture of a lower level fence she wouldn't have been so alarmed as to call it "abuse".

Has anyone ever made a comment like this to you? What did you say?

Heinz 57
Jun. 22, 2011, 05:55 PM
One of the reasons I deleted my facebook...drama.

Walk away. It's not worth even the energy you've already put into it.

LookmaNohands
Jun. 22, 2011, 06:06 PM
So you show her a picture of a horse hanging from a meat hook (you can find them on the web) and you tell her if not for the people who love horses, like you, more would end up there. Then you tell her how there is no way you could force a horse to jump cross country fences (they can stop you know!) And you tell her how your horse nickers at you when he sees you and how happy and excited he gets when jumping and especially at the start box and how he actually drags you to the trailer when you go for jumping lessons or the like.

Then you explain to her how any horse could die on any day of colic, a broken limb an accident or of neglect and how few horses ever die on the cross country course. Explain to her the hours you spend taking care of your horse, making sure he is healthy, well-shod, and wears tack that fits and all the things you do that really do make your horse happy (even if the non-horse person can't see that) Yes, horses and other animals really do have these emotions!

Then explain to her how horses have been bred for this sport and others and that if no one cared enough about horses to want to ride them and have them as companions and such most would end their lives hanging from meat hooks.

I could go on but I have to go feed my horses. I am feeding and turning out late because the bugs are bad and I don't want them to get too bitten up.

I live for them. Don't you?
:)

solstince
Jun. 22, 2011, 06:12 PM
One of the reasons I deleted my facebook...drama.

Walk away. It's not worth even the energy you've already put into it.

Its true. I only have around 20 horsey people and 500+ non horsey folk. I think most of my posts make little to no sense to the majority of my friends...

I didn't respond because I don't want to get roped into an argument when she's likely already decided in her mind that jumping something that high IS horse abuse. But, she might bring it up to me (she lives with me, and I think she loves a "debate"). To not discuss it with her will just reinforce that she's right, especially since every other thing we've ever disagreed about I've debated quite strongly with her.

I'm way too sensitive, I can't stop thinking about it! Part of me doesn't even want to be friends with someone who thinks the thing I revolve around my life around is horse abuse- but maybe that's silly, since I've known her/lived with her for years. I'll probably calm down about it given time. Really glad that I'm leaving at 5:30am for Inavale and will be surrounded by eventers the whole weekend.

Blugal
Jun. 22, 2011, 06:14 PM
Yes, I was at a conference and started talking to a fellow delegate who asked me what I did in my spare time. I told him I rode horses. He gave me a really funny look then told me he was a vegetarian who believed in animal rights (as opposed to 'welfare') and thought that there should be no ownership of animals at all. He believed they should be set free!! Needless to say this conversation did not go far at all!

solstince
Jun. 22, 2011, 06:17 PM
I live for them. Don't you?
:)

I do, yes. I know she hasn't felt/experienced those things and she knows nothing about horses. It's sad, really, to let her go on feeling that some of the most loved, doted on, happy animals are being "abused" while she seems to idealize ranch horses. If some QH on a farm somewhere didn't have proper vet care, exercise, or attention, she'd probably not think it was abuse at all. Really, big jump doesn't = horse abuse. Improper training techniques or care does, regardless of the discipline.

Part of the problem has to do with this particular girl and her personality. But unfortunately she's not the only one with her opinion. I usually try not to think about it and stay in my Happy Eventing Bubble.

Heinz 57
Jun. 22, 2011, 06:19 PM
To not discuss it with her will just reinforce that she's right, especially since every other thing we've ever disagreed about I've debated quite strongly with her.

Nah. It just reinforces that it isn't even worth discussing.

If it's really that big of an issue, I can't imagine how you've been living with her. :confused: She can't argue if you don't engage, so... don't.

Or b!tch her out and get a new room mate.

I'll be hauling down to Inavale tomorrow after I get off work. :)

solstince
Jun. 22, 2011, 06:24 PM
Nah. It just reinforces that it isn't even worth discussing.

If it's really that big of an issue, I can't imagine how you've been living with her. :confused: She can't argue if you don't engage, so... don't.

Or b!tch her out and get a new room mate.

I'll be hauling down to Inavale tomorrow after I get off work. :)

She's never said anything before! I think she's just simple-minded about it. Like, when I talk about riding my horse and jumping him she's like "oh cool that sounds fun". But when she sees and Advanced horse doing its thing, all the sudden she has decided its horse abuse because the jump looks Really Big.

Fortunately, I'm moving to England at the end of August. I'll start moving my stuff out and spending less and less time there soon. I'm rather tired of living with this roommate for other, non-related issues- mostly her general negative attitude. She's really funny/fun, but deep down seems to be angry about everything.

Yay, Inavale! If you see a black blur with a 5'10 20something on it, it's probably me and my OTTB.

JSwan
Jun. 22, 2011, 06:26 PM
She sounds like an ignorant asshat with no manners. Must be one helluva roommate.

Make it known her politics are not welcome on your page. Unfriend or block her as necessary.

Life is too short to waste time defending your sport on FB. Really. It is.

deltawave
Jun. 22, 2011, 06:30 PM
Nobody that I'd bother continuing a conversation with. :)

Wee Dee Trrr
Jun. 22, 2011, 06:40 PM
I would delete her comment and leave it at that.

kinnip
Jun. 22, 2011, 06:45 PM
My SO knows how I keep my horses. He knows they are doted upon and loved. He knows how much time and money I dump into them, and I think he feels that they are happy. He still cringes when he sees me ride. He makes horrid faces he thinks I don't see when I put a bit in a mouth. He doesn't seem too thrilled to hear about galloping up and down hill and dale, or jumping fences, or even asking for a proper frame. He has said before that he's not entirely comfortable with people riding horses, although he does see the need for them to do something other than be giant, expensive pets. He doesn't really talk about his feelings much, and frankly, I don't think he even knows what to make of it all. I think some people are just put off at the notion of "making" and animal do anything they don't want to do, especially if that something may be dangerous.

kristinq
Jun. 22, 2011, 07:11 PM
I'm rather tired of living with this roommate for other, non-related issues- mostly her general negative attitude. She's really funny/fun, but deep down seems to be angry about everything.

Ughhk, don't roommates like that suck? I'm sorry you have to deal with her insecurities.

Don't let her sour attitude impact you too much. Good luck with your upcoming move! :)

FlightCheck
Jun. 22, 2011, 07:22 PM
Kinnip,
I hope your SO has many, many, many other redeeming qualities.

Or perhaps he is just naive about what true abuse is.

Heinz 57
Jun. 22, 2011, 07:56 PM
Yay, Inavale! If you see a black blur with a 5'10 20something on it, it's probably me and my OTTB.

Bahaha! As I mentioned on the Inavale thread, if you need someone to video just let me know your ride times and what ring you'll be in for dressage - our times should be far enough apart that it won't cross my schedule.

Just watch for the redheaded jekyll-&-hyde with extra chrome!

MyssMyst
Jun. 22, 2011, 07:58 PM
If it makes you feel better, when I was showing Morgans, I took my gelding (who could grow tail like no other) to a 4-H show. His tail dragged the ground at this point, and I got screamed at, literally screamed at, by a parent about how I was abusing my horse because he had a long tail. My response was, "Let me guess, you're stuck with a horse that can't grow a tail?" That ended that right then and there. People need to mind their own business. My gelding had been wormed, seen regular farrier/vet work, well fed (spoiled), and the tail was abuse to her. Not the underweight horse eight feed away who desperately needed a farrier.

fordtraktor
Jun. 22, 2011, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=Blugal;5678298]Yes, I was at a conference and started talking to a fellow delegate who asked me what I did in my spare time. I told him I rode horses. He gave me a really funny look then told me he was a vegetarian who believed in animal rights (as opposed to 'welfare') and thought that there should be no ownership of animals at all. He believed they should be set free!! QUOTE]

BTDT, and I'm not an eventer. One of my good friends in law school was a vegan and had a former career as a "human circus" performer, i.e. a circus that only included people as a political statement. She did not think it was appropriate to domesticate animals.

We were good pals, she was used to people not agreeing with her and I liked her for her dedication and her sense of humor. I try not to let politics get in the way of friendships -- I don't like it when people judge me for my views and try to do the same for others. Good people come with all sorts of weird beliefs.

kinnip
Jun. 22, 2011, 08:19 PM
Kinnip,
I hope your SO has many, many, many other redeeming qualities.

Or perhaps he is just naive about what true abuse is.

He does. He's just a soft touch with the critters. He can deal with it all conceptually, but when the rubber hits the road, he just can't tough it out. He was all on board for breeding and slaughtering our own heritage poultry...until it came time for the slaughtering part.
He's getting better though. He used to be really put off when I took the spank stick to my main ride, an OTTB with Halo a little too close. Since then, said OTTB has taught him just what horses are capable of when they decide to act out. He's all for the spank stick now, as long as I'm the one using it. He was tossed, with teeth, clean across the barn aisle, and didn't raise a hand to that horse. :no: I didn't arrive until it was too late to make a point.

riderboy
Jun. 22, 2011, 08:28 PM
I've said this before and I'll say it again and probably again and again. People who are arrogant enough to assume that they have the right to set standards of behavior for others and then walk around as self -appointed judges aren't worth my time. In fact, they really kind of piss me off. I'm not saying there isn't right or wrong or that they aren't entitled to their opinions, but automatically assuming the moral high ground is pretty slippery stuff. Abuse? For crying out loud, that's ridiculous. I want to be reincarnated as an event horse with owners like me and my wife. Some people can be educated, I like to think a lot of hostility and prejudice is just plain ignorance.

KC058
Jun. 22, 2011, 08:49 PM
solstince: First off- Let's see the pic. Not because any of us here are going to think it's horse abuse, but because we all love eventing pics! :)

Secondly- I have had reasonable discussions about the difficulty of eventing being on par with horse racing as far as potential abuse. I think that your room mate's equestrian education is seriously lacking, and a conversation about it will likely leave you feeling nothing but frustrated.

I think horses that are not properly conditioned and/or have not been given adequate time at lower levels gaining confidence and the ability to judge different kinds of challenging fences/terrain are arguably 'abused'..

fooler
Jun. 22, 2011, 09:38 PM
I've said this before and I'll say it again and probably again and again. People who are arrogant enough to assume that they have the right to set standards of behavior for others and then walk around as self -appointed judges aren't worth my time. In fact, they really kind of piss me off. I'm not saying there isn't right or wrong or that they aren't entitled to their opinions, but automatically assuming the moral high ground is pretty slippery stuff. Abuse? For crying out loud, that's ridiculous. I want to be reincarnated as an event horse with owners like me and my wife. Some people can be educated, I like to think a lot of hostility and prejudice is just plain ignorance.

I LOVE YOU Riderboy!!!!

fooler
Jun. 22, 2011, 09:45 PM
Yes I have been accused of abuse for being an eventer. Also have had folks who foxhunt tell about "all of the upper level" eventers who don't care for their horses and run them into the ground. BTW these are not ignorant people, most are well educated with a long history in horse sports. Most of these conversation were back in the late 1980's into the 1990's. Think the short format happened all of a sudden??????

Non-horse people are often afraid of horses and have no concept of how the starting/backing process, much less how and why the horse jumps. When people see my jumping pictures the 1st or 2nd question is "how do you tell the horse how and when to jump?"

IMO - we have gotten too far away from the land and have a sanitized version of nature and human/animal relationships.

coloredcowhorse
Jun. 22, 2011, 09:54 PM
Don't event but had the fun of having the sheriffs office and AC pull in my driveway on Monday afternoon.....someone driving by had taken some phone photos of my mare field and e-mailed them, anonymously, with the statement that there were dead horses in the field. Seems some of my broodmares and 4 of the 6 foals were stretched out in the sun taking naps. Unfortunately between the ones that truly don't know anything about horses and those that think that any use of horses is abuse we who have horses and would like to continue to have them had better begin paying attention or those other folks will regulate away our uses and even our ownership. We can't pretend that they are just fringe kooks....there are a lot of them nowdays as we've gotten farther and farther from farms and further and further into Disney world... and they do vote, they do write letters and they do get on local government organizations where they do put forth their agenda a small step at a time.

AUeventer
Jun. 22, 2011, 10:15 PM
haven't read the other posts but I always say you can't MAKE a horse do that. You can't make a horse jump a huge ditch or brush or trakehner or into water, whatever. If a 1200 lb animal doesn't want to do something, he ain't gonna do it. A horse has to WANT to do it and enjoy it to jump boldly XC. End of story. Good event horses march towards the start box because they live for it. Even idiot animal rightists can perhaps understand that.

EventingMare
Jun. 22, 2011, 10:24 PM
Some people tend to be negative no matter what. The best thing is to believe in yourself and your horse while ignoring other peoples' nasty opinions.

OverandOnward
Jun. 22, 2011, 11:27 PM
In the first place, any roommate who makes such a remark publicly (or privately) about their own roommate, re any subject, is quite a few bricks short of a load in the arts of both diplomacy and being a roommate. She certainly isn't setting a friendly and accepting tone for your shared living quarters. I'd worry less about her opinion and more about her propensity to open mouth, insert foot. That's the way I see her remark.

I think a lot of un-schooled people see horse jumping in terms of what they think it would be like to jump themselves ... they think of the horse heaving itself over with great difficulty. Even some people who jump horses don't realize how incredibly physically powerful these animals are. The jumps themselves are not the difficulty at all for them, it's helping us keep up with their ability.

It has made a difference with people I've talked with to show them several videos of horses jumping at liberty, so they can see what amazingly powerful and energetic jumpers these animals are. Without a rider most horses elect to jump very high over even small obstacles. And that this is not just one exceptional horse. In my experience, once they've seen this, they see jumping differently. I also tell them that these horses are purpose-bred to run and jump, and when they are on course all their DNA tells them "this is it!" On a good trip, the horse experiences a euphoria such as many humans may never know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqG4PNbmSfQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxHjNb1tzK8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLUeVcNgPpk&feature=related

If it comes up in conversation I let them know in general how well my horse, and others, are cared for. But I do not go into all kinds of detail about that stuff. They don't understand it, it just sounds defensive. imo

Jealoushe
Jun. 23, 2011, 12:09 AM
I'm going to bet your roommate could care less about eventing and the dangers to horses...

That was a purpose filled comment...no roommate would be so blatantly rude without a reason; jealousy, something.

Does this person watch movies? How many horses have been killed on set, injured...like seriously don't play animal welfare natzi only %50 of the time. I can't believe how rude people can be sometimes!!

rhymeswithfizz
Jun. 23, 2011, 12:32 AM
Some people just like being snarky. These are the same people who start every sentence with "I hate to say it, but..." (they don't) or "No offense, but..." (yeah right)

My husband says he would like to be reincarnated as one of my horses in his next life. :D

RAyers
Jun. 23, 2011, 01:05 AM
Given the way I ride, I get accused of abuse for just swinging a leg over the saddle.

Reed

ltmac
Jun. 23, 2011, 01:14 AM

Same! Haters are my motivators.

solstince
Jun. 23, 2011, 01:48 AM
solstince: First off- Let's see the pic. Not because any of us here are going to think it's horse abuse, but because we all love eventing pics! :)

Here's the picture!
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/imageBank/b/b915260e6f97cc683cd2e5da2e98b31e-hnhad1.jpg

Secondly- I have had reasonable discussions about the difficulty of eventing being on par with horse racing as far as potential abuse. I think that your room mate's equestrian education is seriously lacking, and a conversation about it will likely leave you feeling nothing but frustrated.

I think horses that are not properly conditioned and/or have not been given adequate time at lower levels gaining confidence and the ability to judge different kinds of challenging fences/terrain are arguably 'abused'..

I agree, on both counts.

solstince
Jun. 23, 2011, 01:57 AM
I'm going to bet your roommate could care less about eventing and the dangers to horses...

That was a purpose filled comment...no roommate would be so blatantly rude without a reason; jealousy, something.

This is probably true.

Also, I recall her telling me stories of a past SO of hers abusing his dog. She didn't break up with him. I know she's a negative person, and is also hypocritical. I guess her comment just made me realize that's how other people (besides her) may see my sport. It hurts, its frustrating, but I think its an opinion mostly based on ignorance (unless they are one of those people that think humans should not keep domesticated animals at all for any reason, but that's a whole 'nother story)

Napoles
Jun. 23, 2011, 05:49 AM
Just ignore it. Don't engage - it's what she wants.

kkindley
Jun. 23, 2011, 06:19 AM

As a side note, a person at my barn, told another person that I hit my horse too much. :mad: This ate at me, because I do NOT!! Sure, she gets whacked sometimes, whacked hard. But when appropriate, and then I move along. I won't tolerate rudeness/unnecessary behavior like spooking at something the 1,357,982, 764th time we've walked past it because she's bored. So my boyfriend came up with the best quote ever to make me laugh about it! "In the wild, alpha mares and herd stallions lead by hugs and positive reinforcement, so so should we."

I laughed it off then, but it still bothers me about who else is she going to say this too. Luckily my friend told me about this, and also was able to laugh it off. So I feel your pain.

riderboy
Jun. 23, 2011, 07:10 AM
Here's the picture!
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/imageBank/b/b915260e6f97cc683cd2e5da2e98b31e-hnhad1.jpg

Wow, I wish I could ride like that. That is one big Weldon's Wall. The horse is obviously fit, keen and well cared for. Now, to me, the losers on "Animal Cops" TV series are cruel and abusive. I can barely watch the promos for that show.

mortebella
Jun. 23, 2011, 08:08 AM
Here's what I call animal abuse. Feel free to use the story in any way if you think it will help. Years ago I worked with a woman who had a dog, "Princess." Her vet had told her the dog was morbidly obese, but she "just couldn't not feed her, because she looks so hungry." The real kicker was that she vowed several times if she ever had to move and couldn't take Princess with her, she would have her put to sleep rather than find her another home - "because no one else would ever love her as much as I do."

To kill an animal purely to support your version of your pathological "love" - that's abuse - on steroids. My bet puts your roommate not far from understanding this "logic." This is also the same kind of thinking that spawns the wingnuts that kill abortion doctors "to save lives." (And btw, the lady with Princess was all for that.)

Heliodoro
Jun. 23, 2011, 08:28 AM
The general public as stated previously is very ignorant in what is abuse when it comes to horses and having them behave in a safe manner. It's even worse when you mix in the horse-crazy kids that have only seen Disney movies and yet to actually ride a horse, or they go on vacation trail rides on awesome plug-along horses so they don't see the need to use the tools and "motivating factors" that those of us on non-push button horses use on a daily basis.

I rode at a barn that had access to a public trail, loved taking my gelding out their for our cool out walks after a good workout. I don't get on my horse without spurs (Prince of Wales) and a whip of some sort. One particular day, after a great dressage lesson I took him out to the trails for a nice walk, dressage whip in hand. A man and young girl (12-ish?) are on the trail and she notices the "pretty pony." The girl asks if she can pet my horse, I give her permission as my horse is really good with kids. When she comes up to his shoulder, she sees the whip and spurs. She looks at me with a horrified expression, like I had just skinned a live puppy and ate its heart. "You BEAT your horse?!?" Meanwhile, Goober is standing still, eyes half closed, just chillin'. I attempted to explain to her that no, I don't beat him, the whip and spurs are aids that assist me when riding... the whole nine yards. "When I get a horse, I'll never put spurs on him!" Nothing I could say was going to enlighten this girl...

By the end of the conversation, including the cost of horses and ownership, I think I convinced Dad out of buying a horse for his little princess. I think I saved a horse that day...

yellowbritches
Jun. 23, 2011, 08:38 AM
I would delete the comment and leave it at that. Maybe even block her from your feed.

If you really feel like engaging, I would point out that this horse is cared for better than most inner city CHILDREN in this country- three square meals a day, a comfy, cozy place to rest and be safe at night, the best medical care it could ever need, shoes and clothing that are warm, fit well and well cared for, and a "family" that loves it, cares for it, comforts it, and cares about its "education."

That should get an interesting response.

OTTB FTW
Jun. 23, 2011, 08:40 AM
Nobody that I'd bother continuing a conversation with. :)

Agreed.
There are some people we might choose to educate a bit so that they understand, and some that aren't worth the effort. Its not our job to make opinionated people less judgmental and opinionated, and frankly, with some people it isn't even possible. (damn, it actually is my job sometimes as a Psychotherapist, but I do get paid for it) I usually walk away being thankful that I did not end up this way myself, as its a lonely, angry life.

OTTB FTW
Jun. 23, 2011, 08:42 AM
Given the way I ride, I get accused of abuse for just swinging a leg over the saddle.

Reed

LMAO!
RAyers you make my day with your comments on a regular basis, thanks! :lol:

quietann
Jun. 23, 2011, 08:58 AM

Reed

Oh c'mon. *I* could get that comment, but I can't imagine you've survived this long at the UL if you ride that badly.

magnolia73
Jun. 23, 2011, 09:41 AM
Most horses today that are in sporthorse or riding homes are really well cared for. I don't care how bad I ride, my horse has a giant field and buddies 23 hours a day.

My SO once had a friend who convinced him I was abusive to be riding. Then I explained to him : I go out and fetch the horse from a huge field of friends. Bring him in and groom and brush for 30 minutes (a nice massage and get all the itchies), then I ride and ask for work for 20-30 minutes, then we take a pleasant hack for 10-15 minutes and see new sights and relax. Then it is back to the barn for a refreshing shower or more grooming, then back out to the field for the rest of the day. Would you feel abused to be asked for 30 minutes of work in exchange for a 30 minute massage and shower, plus a giant field of food and all your buddies around?

He decided she was an idiot.

OTTB FTW
Jun. 23, 2011, 11:59 AM
I once had the "authorities" called on me, and on another occasion had an irate person at my front door, for "putting blindfolds on my horses while they were outside in the pasture". *sigh*

The ensuing argument and then the looking through a fly mask while watching the horses ears get buzzed by bugs while it was off, felt pretty nice for me actually. One of the times my horse bent his head to get the mask put back on, just for added emphasis. :lol:

bigbaytb
Jun. 23, 2011, 01:47 PM
Love the Pic! I dream to ride that well!

Get a new roommate.

I had a similar situation happen about ten years ago, but with a DQ wannabe. We were discussing the area's equine show grounds. I thought the footing was fine in the dressage arenas while she thought the footing should be four inches deeper. Her comment was "well, you eventers don't care about your horse's legs! so what do you know". I kept my anger in check, but did point out that I don't see the DQ's wrapping horses legs after a class, Icing and rubbing like eventers do. Or just hacking their horses around the show grounds to let them stretch their legs, but then DQ's drill upon drill in the arena or immediately take their horse to the stall. And my favorite, I pointed out that some of her area favorite dressage barns had more lame horses in it than h/j and eventing barns I had been in.

I'm not kidding when I say I ended my "friendship" with her. I also stopped hiring her to massage my horse. I felt that if someone had such limited scope, then I didn't want them touching my horse or taking my money.

bigbaytb
Jun. 23, 2011, 02:02 PM
oh..and per the authorities. one of my friends was boarding at a place where the neighbors said they would call the police because they saw my friend using "a really long whip"..she's a dressage rider....I don't think she knows how to really swing a whip :)

anyway..I took that information and played a very mean joke on her. My brother called my friend acting like he was animal control and that they were on the way to take the horses. She was at work and I can hear the panic in her voice. She's one of my best friends, so I didn't let it last too long..but my brother was being hilarious! he asked about a whip...a long whip..and if she knew how to use it....on her horse...and her husband.....then the phone went dead when she realized it was my brother..and every adjective she could use about him came out...it was very funny...and we are still friends even though she has vowed to kill me...lol

lstevenson
Jun. 23, 2011, 03:57 PM
I once had the "authorities" called on me, and on another occasion had an irate person at my front door, for "putting blindfolds on my horses while they were outside in the pasture". *sigh*

OMG that is funny!

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Virtual-Eventing-Coach/121366797928434)

saanengirl
Jun. 23, 2011, 04:54 PM
I was in Atlanta for a conference back in April, and was accosted by people from PETA carrying anti-carriage horse signs and trying to tell me how abused carriage horses are. I told them that I didn't think the carriage horses are abused and then they wanted to explain to me why they were. I told them I was an equine professional, and I knew a little bit about horses. The PETA people then said "oh, you're with THEM," and that was the end of the conversation. Later that day I talked to one of the carriage drivers after admiring how relaxed his horse was in the bustling environment, and I will tell you, those horses are cared for better than most children!

hntrjmprpro45
Jun. 23, 2011, 05:31 PM
CLEARLY that horse in the picture is being dragged over that big jump against his will :)

That is so funny that someone would call eventing (of all the disciplines) horse abuse. I have never done an event but have schooled some of my h/j horses over cross country courses and MAN did they have fun! I am sure if it were up to them they would switch jobs.

But I feel your pain... I hate having to explain spurs and whips to close minded people who think that they are "torture" devices. Ironically those are usually the people that will kick the snot out of their horses and bang around on their backs but its okay because they aren't using whips/spurs....

riderboy
Jun. 23, 2011, 06:26 PM
Man, some really dumb non horsey people! All I can say is that in a world of stupid people...well, there are just a lot of stupid people. :yes:

Hullabaloo
Jun. 23, 2011, 06:57 PM
A used to board at a barn that had a separate riding school for children.
One day, one of the moms was wandering around in one of the barns with her kids, and saw my friend clipping her horse, who was standing half-asleep in the cross-ties. The mom walked up, and greeted her with a "we don't believe in drugging horses". Even after a long conversation my friend wasn't able to convince the mom that her horse wasn't drugged, and was actually quite comfortable with being clipped.

KC058
Jun. 23, 2011, 07:47 PM
Here's the picture!

I LOVE THIS PIC!!!! Congrats! You and this horse obviously have a special bond- or you wouldn't be able to surmount these challenging fences. Best of Luck to you both! Hope to see more pics! :D

GatoGordo
Jun. 24, 2011, 06:18 AM
That horse is clearly very abused. Fortunately for him, I am about to set up a rescue group for special needs event horses, so he can live out his life in peace at the lower levels. ;)

CarrieK
Jun. 25, 2011, 09:00 PM
One of my co-workers told me jumping was cruel. She saw someone who was whipping a horse to try to get it to jump. So all of jumping is cruel, not that the person was ignorant or misguided or themselves cruel.

My co-worker used to do barrels.

So, when she told me that, I had to laugh, and did, and then asked didn't she whip the horse to make it run and she said she did. Well, then, barrels is cruel, too. Nope, the horse somehow understands that the whipping in barrels is merely to make him run faster. Whereas the horse jumping knew that the whipping was merely to be cruel.

(BTW: posted this story in Off Course and had people call BS because I used the word "whip" when barrel racers use whatever they use that's not a whip. :: hand on heart :: This story is true, I swear).

Actually, though, when I express an interest in foxhunting there is lots of pearl-clutching and wank.