PDA

View Full Version : Where do you look for Eventing Horses

Tallac
Jun. 22, 2011, 03:53 PM
I have a horse I am about to list for sale. I am a dressage rider, and I don't jump. I will play around with the jumping as cross training but really have no experience in jumping.

This horse I am about to list for sale LOVES to jump and gallop. I think she would make a excellent Eventing horse, but with no way of knowing. I live in Northern Nevada and there is really no eventing community here. Where do you all look for Eventing horses to buy, I mean are there good websites you go to, would you ever look at a horse that had no experience in eventing? I just really think this horse would thrive in your world but have no way of getting her there....

Owner doesn't want to send her to a different barn to sell that is the other problem, I know I can sell her as a Dressage Horse, she is solid Third Level Dressage, but I think she would be happier as an eventer!

Thanks for you help.

LittleBrownHorse
Jun. 22, 2011, 07:24 PM
Would the owner allow for a jump/event trainer to get on her and hop over a few small fences? You could video the horse jumping, as well as her flatwork, and post it in the ad. List her as an event horse prospect.

I would check out these websites:
http://www.eventingnation.com/sporthorsenation/
http://www.3-day-eventing.com/

Sport Horse Nation would probably be the better choice to advertise, I've seen a lot more prospects on that site. Good luck!

scubed
Jun. 22, 2011, 07:26 PM
I also look regularly at www.dreamhorse.com and at www.usea2.net and www.usea3.org (you would want to use the USEA area closest to you)

EventingMare
Jun. 22, 2011, 10:21 PM
I asked a similar question the other day on this topic. I have been using the new exclusive eventing website www.Eventingmarket.com in addition to looking over the ones listed above. Good luck!

Leprechaun
Jun. 23, 2011, 10:20 AM
Don't forget Area 1 and your more local DCTA's.

Perfect Pony
Jun. 23, 2011, 10:35 AM
If you are in Northern Nevada don't forget to post good pictures and video and an ad on BayEquest.com

Lots of people from Northern California shop in Nevada.

asterix
Jun. 23, 2011, 11:01 AM
All good advice --
I bought a dressage horse who secretly (well, not so secretly) wanted to be an eventer...

but he had spent some time learning to jump and to be out in the world (fox hunted once or twice and done a couple events).

The horse will be vastly more marketable as an event prospect if you can have someone good do at least a jump school or two or three, and if the horse at least hacks out on a regular basis.

There is a real learning curve there and not every horse takes to it, so we like to know that the horse can go out and about and keep his head on.

Interesting side note -- my ex-dressage horse used to come home from hacking out with tiny nicks on his fetlocks -- he'd knock himself somehow every time. After a few months of hacking out, this went away completely. I think he just figured out how to move and keep organized on varied terrain.

Tallac
Jun. 23, 2011, 01:05 PM
Thank you everyone!! Great advice!

Yes I do hack her on a regular basis. I trail ride her at least once a week and drive her to a local lake where we can gallop on the beach and in the water. We had a Hunter type girl riding her over fences a day a week too a while back, that is why we know she loves to jump.

She got loose the other day and the things she started to jump on her own in the yard was amazing to watch. I giant pile of debris and a 4 foot tall Rock wall. I think she was born to event!

Just think she would love to do it all full time you know. Hope I can find the right person for her!

Zephyr
Jun. 23, 2011, 02:09 PM
Wow, that is nice... my horse lives in a field with some XC jumps, and he never jumps them out there on his own! ;)