PDA

View Full Version : Safety strap legal at recognized show?

flaxenmane
Jun. 21, 2011, 09:33 PM
I'm taking my eventing TB to her first recognized dressage show and I have to sit the medium trot for the second level test. Let me tell you, it isn't pretty (her trot is great, just me not being able to sit it when it's big!). I've been grabbing and holding on tight to my safety strap to stay in the saddle.

My trainer mentioned it might not be legal to have a safety strap at the show. I looked in the USEF rulebook and couldn't find anything about it.

Anyone know?

AlterBy
Jun. 21, 2011, 09:40 PM
I believe the safety strap is legal but holding yourself for another reason than safety, well...you will certainly loose points.

Pony Fixer
Jun. 21, 2011, 09:49 PM
If you mean the grab strap on the front of the saddle, it's totally fine to grab that for the mediums. You won't lose points unless it distracts and you mess with the horse's movement as a result. I have seen many a person (including one really BNT) grab it mid test (and have done it myself in the occasional medium/extended). Further, I've heard of upper level riders grabbing it and I never noticed! Keep it subtle, don't use it the whole ride, and have a good show!

Keepthepeace
Jun. 21, 2011, 09:50 PM
I know that in Canada, carded Para-equestrians may be permitted to use a hand hold strap in competition.

TheHorseProblem
Jun. 21, 2011, 11:30 PM
I happen to know that it is perfectly legal, and that is from a trainer who is also a judge.:yes:

LarkspurCO
Jun. 22, 2011, 12:41 AM
If you mean the grab strap on the front of the saddle, it's totally fine to grab that for the mediums. You won't lose points unless it distracts and you mess with the horse's movement as a result. I have seen many a person (including one really BNT) grab it mid test (and have done it myself in the occasional medium/extended). Further, I've heard of upper level riders grabbing it and I never noticed! Keep it subtle, don't use it the whole ride, and have a good show!

I did not know that. I have a strap but I never think to use it for medium/extended trot. I might try it if things get ugly.

flaxenmane
Jun. 22, 2011, 07:23 AM
I'll be (subtly) holding my new friend ... I did it at a schooling show and it really helped. I don't think the judge saw anything. The good part is, I can't pull back or grab the rein interfering with my horse!