PDA

View Full Version : T3D ready????

Eventcrazy
Jun. 21, 2011, 09:54 PM
We finally got our qualifying score to run a training three day!!!! So looking at the calendar and summer welsh pony schedule I think Rocking horse in November will work best. Welsh pony shows are the summer thing for us and dressage lessons to help with my nerves. Maybe even horrible to think it straight dressage shows…my stomach hurts thinking about it. Really starting thinking about what I really needed to work on this summer/fall. Steeplechase is a worry for me. Because of Rum being a welsh cob he does not gallop like a TB or have the same feeling of speed that you would get on a gallop pony.
So here is my question is where to go to get help with steeplechase and over all jumping. I live on the Mississippi Gulf coast so willing to travel to get help! Don’t want to go to someone who will think he is not a good pony if you know what I mean…..so any suggestions would be great!!!
I say we are shooting for November but know how life is and horses. So my quest is on for Rocking Horse bound in November!!!

Eventcrazy
Jun. 21, 2011, 11:17 PM
Just some over all help to make sure I'm fully prepared would be great!!!!

We have been kind of going on our own with some help on the ground from a friend!

Thanks!!!

Highflyer
Jun. 21, 2011, 11:25 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure I would worry hugely about steeplechase. Obviously you should work on galloping in the open as part of your conditioning, and if you've never really galloped a horse it will probably feel fast. When you get to the T3D they will most likely offer you the opportunity to school a steeplechase fence and you should definitely do that, but I know I didn't practice otherwise and was fine. As long as your pony is reasonably brave and likes xc, he will love steeplechase, and the T3D is meant to be a learning experience.

Eventcrazy
Jun. 22, 2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks! Guess I'm just over thinking it! Rum's gallop is just different and will have to work keeping him galloping forward instead of up and down.

Thanks!

EventingChase
Jun. 22, 2011, 09:50 AM
Don't worry about it! Just practice your gallop sets, and if you have the chance, do them on some slightly rolling terrain as where Rocking Horse puts their steeple chase is not a completley level flat "track."

I won the training three day there two years ago on a 15 hand Appy/TB cross I describe as having a gallop like a wind up toy. I was actually doubtful that he would be able to press on and make time on the chase but he did it without issue. Then, a year later, he made time on a prelim 3-day steeple chase!

They get into it, find a rhythm and learn the gallop. The more practice you can do before hand to get you both fit and comfortable with the speed the better- but of course within reason and not pounding him!

deltawave
Jun. 22, 2011, 09:50 AM
Most T3Ds will have an optional steeplechase schooling session. I wouldn't sweat it much--if you have the opportunity to gallop and school a few times that's great, but a bold jumping pony will very quickly figure out that he's allowed to GO and most of them LOVE IT. It's only 520mpm, and usually only 3-4 minutes, so it's not that difficult.

yellowbritches
Jun. 23, 2011, 08:50 AM
I also would not sweat it. I did a P3DE without any steeplechase practice, and though P3DE riders were invited to the steeplechase school, I opted to hack roads and tracks instead (and torment my poor horse with walking while other horses were GALLOPING RIGHT OVER THERE!!!!). Once we jumped the first one or two, it was actually dead easy (though, still amazing how fast we had to go...but, again P3DE is a lot faster than a T3DE).

Work on making his gallop good and easy in your conditioning and you should be fine...he'll probably improve his gallop a lot on the steeplechase itself.