PDA

View Full Version : Breeding for an Event Horse

Cameraine
Jun. 21, 2011, 03:51 PM
Assuming you had a nice mare already what stallion would you choose to breed for your next eventing partner and why?

netg
Jun. 21, 2011, 06:15 PM
What are the mare's strengths/weaknesses?

If the mare were a jumping machine with a great gallop who didn't do so well in dressage, I'd consider a dressage WB who had done well in jumping in his stallion test (and who had less knee action than some trendy horses these days.) If I needed more jump, I'd look toward jumper bloodlines.

On top of that, I'd look at the individuals. I would look for similar enough types that if a baby were born with a combination of the parts of each it would not look like a frankenhorse. At the same time, if the mare was too hot, I'd consider looking for a slightly heavier stallion with a super mellow temperament. I'd make sure I was ok with a clone of either horse, or some combination in the middle between the two.

So...yeah, it just would depend on the mare!

JER
Jun. 21, 2011, 06:54 PM
The short answer is: you breed to the best stallion for your mare.

Without knowing anything about your mare or about what you want in your future eventer, it's not really possible to answer your question in any intelligent way.

:)

JWB
Jun. 21, 2011, 07:22 PM
The short answer is: you breed to the best stallion for your mare.

Without knowing anything about your mare or about what you want in your future eventer, it's not really possible to answer your question in any intelligent way.

:)

This....

BigRuss1996
Jun. 21, 2011, 10:36 PM
I think first you have to ask why you want to do this? Also have you taken into consideration that this is the longest way to get an event horse and the biggest gamble?

I am currently doing this and this is what our farm did for years but.... just because you breed them to event does not mean they will want to... LOL...
So much can happen between foaling and the end result. It is a long process and can be very rewarding but also can be very heart breaking.

I agree with others you need to know what you are wanting to breed for and what type of horse your mare is before anyone could recommend stallions.
In my case I have a very nice older TB mare that is very correct with good bone and with good old sporthorse and jumping families but she is a little on the short side. I bred her to a 16.3 hand Trakhener stallion that I really like and that has very strong dressage families with some very good jumping lines interspersed. A few weeks ago I got to speak at length with a very knowledgable German dressage trainer who judges and he went through the stallions pedigree and explained all the family lines and told me I should be very excited about my upcoming foal. It was great to hear especially coming from someone of his background but I know I could still end up with a horse that hates dressage or doesn't want to jump. You really just pick the best stallion you can that compliments your mare and has the qualities you want and then you hope for the best. Right now I just want a foal that's alive and healthy and that goes to term. After that I will start hoping he wants to be an event horse.