PDA

View Full Version : Rules Question: "Electronic Devices"

JFCeventer
Jun. 21, 2011, 11:31 AM
I think I already know the answer to this question, but I just wanted to make sure. I was recently told by one of my trainers that she didn't think helmet cams were allowed cross country because "no electronic devices are allowed." I did remember seeing that in the rulebook, but when I went back to check, it only mentions radios and cell phones. Plus, I know plenty of people who compete at recognized events who use helmet cams without penalty. (Not to mention Doug Payne and Peter Atkins who use them at the highest levels...)

So, like I said, I probably already know the answer, but would just like some reassurance that I wouldn't get eliminated for something so stupid!

fooler
Jun. 21, 2011, 01:51 PM
Usage of Electronic Devices is tied to the rules about unauthorized assistance. Radios, cell phones and headsets can be used to communicate with the competitor while on course so those are not allowed.

The helmet cam, as in only the camera, does not allow for communication with anyone at all so they are allowed.

ACMEeventing
Jun. 21, 2011, 02:04 PM
What if I install a GPS into a helmet cam? Would it go like this:

Turn left NOW.
Go 3 strides to rolltop.
Trakhener - turn right.
Runout at water - redirect NOW.

:lol::lol::lol:

skip916
Jun. 21, 2011, 02:10 PM
gallop seven strides to scary bright white horse eating log oxer... RECALCULATING..... RECALCULATING....RECALCULATING, make U-turn when safe and proceed to barn at a walk

helmet cams are fine- but helmet cams with talking gps (in the voice of george morris or jimmy wofford) would be hilarious

ACMEeventing
Jun. 21, 2011, 02:16 PM
gallop seven strides to scary bright white horse eating log oxer... RECALCULATING..... RECALCULATING....RECALCULATING, make U-turn when safe and proceed to barn at a walk

helmet cams are fine- but helmet cams with talking gps (in the voice of george morris or jimmy wofford) would be hilarious

Can you imagine a talking helmet cam with a George Morris voice:lol:

It would be like HAL from 2001 A Space Odyssey - helpful at first then suddenly creepy and demanding!

skip916
Jun. 21, 2011, 02:18 PM
lol... i wonder if it would also be judgmental...

ACMEeventing
Jun. 21, 2011, 02:22 PM
lol... i wonder if it would also be judgmental...

But of course! During long gallops in between fences it would have a running commentary on turnout and leg position. And then if you glanced at a jump judge it would offer critique on their "seat" ;)

JER
Jun. 21, 2011, 02:37 PM
Usage of Electronic Devices is tied to the rules about unauthorized assistance. Radios, cell phones and headsets can be used to communicate with the competitor while on course so those are not allowed.

What about portable blenders? Are they allowed?

poltroon
Jun. 21, 2011, 02:40 PM
Most of our coaches could probably make a tape in advance that would pretend to be interactive but would be spot-on accurate...

wildlifer
Jun. 21, 2011, 02:47 PM

JER, you're going to have to cut back on the daquiris on course. I think that helmet blender is really throwing off your center of balance -- there's only so much ass-covering one mule can do.

skip916
Jun. 21, 2011, 03:05 PM
blenders... yes!
the "helmet cam" could actually be a secret little cooler and there could be a straw for sipping from the cooler while on course. i mean, if i had george morris doing a running commentary of my riding then God knows I'd need a drink.

Heinz 57
Jun. 21, 2011, 03:43 PM
I'll bypass the blender rule and go straight to a margarita on the rocks, please. And I'll take my $200 for passing go.

Preferably in one of those undisclosed on-course-drink reservoirs that someone did a poll about.

Thanks!

Auto Be A Storm
Jun. 21, 2011, 03:44 PM
I double check before I ride every course and I have never been told no so far. You can't use the helmet cam as a "radio" device. Radios and phones can be used as those comminucations device!

RAyers
Jun. 21, 2011, 03:53 PM
Define "portable?" What if I had a really long extension cord to a cooler? Beer probably helps me more on XC than my trainer.

I REALLY wish they would allow for a stop at a bar (e.g. the old Gazebo at the water in Jackson Hole or the bars at the second water at Rebecca) while on XC.

Reed

skip916
Jun. 21, 2011, 03:57 PM
reed- i think we could fashion you an on course kegerator. no extension cords required- so clearly not an "electronic device" and perfectly legal.

Blugal
Jun. 21, 2011, 03:58 PM
Reed, that sport is known as "foxhunting."

bigbaytb
Jun. 21, 2011, 04:04 PM

I just burst out laughing...

On another note...I think safety vests should be chillable and fillable with preferred adult beverages..keeps one cool more ways than one on xc:lol:

Heinz 57
Jun. 21, 2011, 04:16 PM
Beer probably helps me more on XC than my trainer.

Reed, clearly you either don't drink a lot of beer, or are just SOOO coordinated as to have never accidentally shaken (or dropped) one. For drinking while riding, I suggest choosing something that doesn't fizz! :lol:

asterix
Jun. 21, 2011, 04:20 PM
Most of our coaches could probably make a tape in advance that would pretend to be interactive but would be spot-on accurate...

Oh, yes, this, it be true!

ACMEeventing
Jun. 21, 2011, 05:03 PM
Define "portable?" What if I had a really long extension cord to a cooler? Beer probably helps me more on XC than my trainer.

Reed

So true. Not even kidding, it really does.

What if we fixed our helmets with one of those beer can hats you see at NASCAR races? You know, the kind that holds a beer on each side with a long sippy straw.

So the finished product would be: helmet, helmet-cam, beer hat, satellite radio receiver (for jamming out to favorite 80's rock song on XC), and portable AED for us, ahem, not-as-young-as-we-used-to-be types.

How much could it possible weigh?

RAyers
Jun. 21, 2011, 05:05 PM
Reed, clearly you either don't drink a lot of beer, or are just SOOO coordinated as to have never accidentally shaken (or dropped) one. For drinking while riding, I suggest choosing something that doesn't fizz! :lol:

Have you met my trainer? ;)

In the immortal words of Gnep: Beer puke does not stain a bay.

Reed

Heinz 57
Jun. 21, 2011, 05:29 PM

Reed

Apparently I don't follow you close enough, so no.

I'm currently trying to decide between margaritas and the 18pk of Bud Light Lime I just bought, for beverages this weekend. Or maybe wine.

Or all of the above?

Competitors dinner after XC Saturday night. Live blues, BBQ pit, and open bar. Who wants to bet on whether beer puke will stain a chestnut? :winkgrin:

riderboy
Jun. 21, 2011, 05:42 PM

Reed

Not even mixed with chips and salsa? Glad to know my helmet cam is safe, I'm sure everyone else is too ;) Oh well, I like helmet cam. And besides, 50 years from now when all the farms I ride at now are subdivisions, they can look back at those videos and say,"We used to ride here, the down bank is now the Jones' front steps."

JER
Jun. 21, 2011, 06:23 PM
JER, you're going to have to cut back on the daquiris on course. I think that helmet blender is really throwing off your center of balance -- there's only so much ass-covering one mule can do.

I know this will come as a surprise or, perhaps, a relief to those of you who have actually seen me ride, but I don't drink alcohol.

I'm just looking out for the needs of my fellow eventers.

As for what Reed was saying about a beer stop along the way, at Ontario's impending Day of 1000 Canoes (http://1000canoes.com/) (hello, this is Canada), the venerable Canadian institution Tim Hortons is setting up the world's first 'paddle-through' coffee-and-donut stand.

Perhaps eventers can borrow this idea and tweak it a bit.

The big question is, how would this affect the one-fall rule?

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Jun. 21, 2011, 06:31 PM
I asked a noted TD if by chance, someone left a beer sitting somewhere on course, and I knew about it and partook partway through, would that break any rules.

He assured me that no rules would be broken if he were in charge - 'cause he would drink it first.

He did then share a story about a Team member who was taking a young horse, noted for water aversion, around a BN course. Apparently when she got into the water, her groom ran up to her with a celebratory bottle of water, and cheers from the crowd.
Chances are good they weren't high in the standings at that point, but still, I'll cite that as precedent if anyone ever questions MY blender on course, or liquor from a groom. That's essential equipment some days, ain't it?

Heinz 57
Jun. 21, 2011, 07:54 PM
Chances are good they weren't high in the standings at that point, but still, I'll cite that as precedent if anyone ever questions MY blender on course, or liquor from a groom. That's essential equipment some days, ain't it?

How would this play with the rules about unauthorized assistance....hmmm. :lol:

JFCeventer
Jun. 21, 2011, 08:29 PM
Got it. So helmet cam on one side, blender on the other, an earpiece for the George Morris critiques (oh dear GOD!), and how about a cupholder? I suppose you could just drink out of the blender?

:)

Well, thanks for the info and the laughs!

RAyers
Jun. 21, 2011, 09:58 PM
The big question is, how would this affect the one-fall rule?

It would make the damn fall and remount thing valid, worthwhile and for the most part, probably VERY entertaining.

Reed

Eventcrazy
Jun. 21, 2011, 10:11 PM

LOVE IT!!!!!

NowThatsATrot
Jun. 21, 2011, 10:18 PM
Got it. So helmet cam on one side, blender on the other, an earpiece for the George Morris critiques (oh dear GOD!), and how about a cupholder? I suppose you could just drink out of the blender?

Obviously you guys need to hang out around endurance riders/outdoorsy folks more. There is already a spiffy hands-free beverage dispenser on the market:

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4466473

However, all this talk about drinks on course makes me really want to see someone do one of these (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7398484@N02/2701838779/in/photostream/) on XC... Isn't there a Tiki Bar jump at Jersey Fresh?

Duckz
Jun. 22, 2011, 06:42 AM

*snort* Perhaps not, but coffee just stained my keyboard.

Next time someone asks why I switched from hunters to eventing, I'm going to refer them to this thread.

Heliodoro
Jun. 22, 2011, 08:54 AM

To quote my trainer: It's a pinney, not a bib!

FitToBeTied
Jun. 22, 2011, 11:04 AM
Rubicon has the log that is hollowed out and has a cooler in it stocked with drinks. If you jumped the log, stopped, came back and ask the jump judge to give you a drink from the cooler, would that count as unauthorized assistance and be grounds for a disqualification?

Personal Champ
Jun. 22, 2011, 12:25 PM
Next time someone asks why I switched from hunters to eventing, I'm going to refer them to this thread.

My thoughts exactly!!!! :lol::lol::yes:

JFCeventer
Jun. 22, 2011, 05:08 PM
Isn't there a Tiki Bar jump at Jersey Fresh?

Sure is!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32076628&l=a4ef8c19b2&id=1541657327

Too bad there's no bartender!

fooler
Jun. 22, 2011, 09:33 PM

h-m-m-m, the sound of a Portable blender could be used to 'encourage' a horse to go forward, especially if started only in front of a jump.;)
Now rehydrating the horse and/or rider while on course is a not a bad idea, especially as we are thinking that anything is possible:cool:.

I have known a few horses that would have benefitted from some liquid courage, not to mention a few riders:lol::lol::lol::lol:

FYI - I love a good smoothie while on TD duty and would not turn down a well-done margarita after hours:D

Coeur*de*Cheval
Jun. 23, 2011, 12:46 AM
Aspen Farms has a lovely cooler jump that is ways well stocked with water, SIDS, and of course beer :)

JER
Jun. 23, 2011, 01:05 AM
Aspen Farms has a lovely cooler jump that is ways well stocked with water, SIDS, and of course beer :)

Um, SIDS?

Maybe it's just the EMT in me, but the only SIDS I know of is Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Blugal
Jun. 23, 2011, 02:06 AM

WHAT??????? I missed it! :o

Guess that's what happens when you miss the rider briefing...

JER
Jun. 23, 2011, 02:25 AM
WHAT??????? I missed it! :o

Guess that's what happens when you miss the rider briefing...

But I bet you didn't miss fence #2...

LookmaNohands
Jun. 23, 2011, 08:04 AM
I think I would like a FAN in my helmet--solar powered! :lol:

At my last event I got three quarters the way around XC and thought, "I am glad this is just novice because it is really HOT out here!"

Rhiannonjk
Jun. 24, 2011, 04:05 PM
Obviously, you ladies need some engineering help.
First, I'm thinking that you need to do shots, so you don't lose speed or have too much liquid bouncing around over those jumps.
Then, we don't want the unauthorized assistance, so I envision that the shots are set up in paper cups on top of stands, so you can grab them as you gallop, like runners do in their races (except they grab them from people on course...)
Properly set and well ridden, I think you could drink the shot without losing stride. Gallop by a row of cups, grab one, swallow, and off you go!

hm...

breakthru
Jun. 24, 2011, 04:12 PM
You can use a helmet cam once you reach cruising altitude, but you have to turn it off during taxi, ascent and landing. :winkgrin:

smokey1428
Jun. 24, 2011, 08:26 PM
Think it's time someone contacted dewalt to come up with the blender and charles owens for a helmet to fit all these XC goodies.

ACMEeventing
Jun. 24, 2011, 11:11 PM
Check please . . .

GatoGordo
Jun. 24, 2011, 11:40 PM
So true. Not even kidding, it really does.

What if we fixed our helmets with one of those beer can hats you see at NASCAR races? You know, the kind that holds a beer on each side with a long sippy straw.

So the finished product would be: helmet, helmet-cam, beer hat, satellite radio receiver (for jamming out to favorite 80's rock song on XC), and portable AED for us, ahem, not-as-young-as-we-used-to-be types.

How much could it possible weigh?

Depends on how much beer capacity you want, which in turn depends on the length of the course and the rate of consumption in beers per minute (bpm). We have everything from .25 all the way up to 3 bpm.

The weight also depends on whether you just need an AED or transcutaneous pacing for shocking your way around the rest of the course. :p I think deltawave would be the one to consult about that.

ACMEeventing
Jun. 25, 2011, 10:25 AM
Depends on how much beer capacity you want, which in turn depends on the length of the course and the rate of consumption in beers per minute (bpm). We have everything from .25 all the way up to 3 bpm.

The weight also depends on whether you just need an AED or transcutaneous pacing for shocking your way around the rest of the course. :p I think deltawave would be the one to consult about that.

:lol::lol::lol:

(bpm) - love it!

And truthfully, I probably need a beta blocker more than a pacer (hey deltawave - lets do a project and see if someone can self-inject adenosine while tearing around XC, it'll be fun ;) )

CarrieK
Jun. 25, 2011, 08:53 PM
:: sigh :: Some places just automatically feel like home and some folks just automatically feel like good drinking buddies, yanno?