PDA

View Full Version : Running over Tapeta first time

keepthelegend
Jun. 21, 2011, 11:21 AM
Thinking of running a filly at Presque Isle. She trains over a deep track at the training center and I have been told most of the horses training on dirt need a race over the Tapeta first. Also been told it doesn't matter, the horses either love it or hate it and getting used to it doesn't matter. I am just debating whether to take her there a week early and work over it once or not.

Flypony
Jun. 21, 2011, 09:31 PM
I always found that a work over the synthetic helped. As an aside I hate the stuff.

Blinkers On
Jun. 22, 2011, 04:31 PM
I agree with a work over a synthetic. It's a waay more "dead" surface than dirt. It doesn't have to be a quick work, just a work.
I also hate the stuff, but the Tapeta seems to be the better of the junk.

Las Olas
Jun. 22, 2011, 07:04 PM
The synthetics that have the jellycable don't ride as dead. I'm pretty sure PID has it, and they work a little more off the top. But, like the others said, I'd still get the work in.

keepthelegend
Jun. 22, 2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks. I imagine it will be far different than the training center so probably a good idea. I was planning on just shipping to Keeneland to work on a synthetic and just galloping a few days at P.I., but maybe will send her up early and get a real work in there instead of Keeneland.